PDA

View Full Version : Dog Thread

Smile
03-23-2005, 17:59
I've done a search and found lots of articles here with 'dogs" in them...but am wondering if there is a specific DOG thread....not the IF you should or should not bring them, but a thread that talks specifically about NON-DOG FRIENDLY parts of the trail....parks, hostels, etc.

See some in the guide books, but figure folks who have actually hiked with their dogs know better by experience.

Can anyone direct me?

Oracle
03-23-2005, 18:37
I believe that the Smoky Mountain National Park doesn't allow dogs into the park, and that's a portion of the AT.

steve hiker
03-23-2005, 18:46
ALL trails everywhere should be NON-DOG FRIENDLY. Dogs don't belong on the AT or any hiking trail. There's sort of a regression that takes place with dog and owner when in the wild. A few years ago, I was hiking to a hotspring when a couple allowed their dog to intimidate me at a trail junction just to prove a point. These jerks were also camping "next" to the hotspring. I got my revenge by hiking out the next day, opening their car, taking a dump on the drivers seat and pissing on the passenger seat. I wanted to make their experience as nice as mine. Take the hint, buster.

Oracle
03-23-2005, 18:48
I hope you're kidding.

smokymtnsteve
03-23-2005, 18:49
ganges says Hello.

Ganges LOVES U Willk

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6366/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

and I love ganges!

saimyoji
03-23-2005, 18:50
Seems to me I've read that story somewhere else.....:confused:

superman
03-23-2005, 19:29
LOL, with a good dog it's easier to do a thru hike than to talk about it on these hiker sites. It's done every year but talking about it enflames the flamers.:bse

SGT Rock
03-23-2005, 19:44
Willk shares that every time someone brings up dogs.

Smile
03-23-2005, 20:01
I didn't read his post.....skipped it after the first line.

The idea is to find out if there is an existing thread, which I assume there is, that discusses some of the logistics/experiences of others who HAVE hiked with a dog.....NOT the Should/Should Not of bringing a dog.

Not my intention to start a flame war, just get some solid info.

SGT Rock
03-23-2005, 20:19
Unfortunately that is exactly what you will get. See, it will start out with someone telling you (good advice) about how really hard it really is. And there will be someone else that tells you how many dogs are out there screwing it up for others, then some dog lover will say it is a shame how many dog haters there are, and it will degrade from there. Occasionally someone will chime in with some helpful information about dogs, but even then they will often tell you the best idea is to not bring them. Anyway, searching may be the only way to avoid starting a new one, and not responding to this thread when it does start is the best way to let it die.

Smile
03-23-2005, 22:11
Good Advice.
Really didnt' want to start a "new one" just guidance where to find viable information from those with experience!

saimyoji
03-23-2005, 22:24
Maybe you could read the old threads, identify the dog owners/lovers, and PM them for more details. This will get you more info while avoiding the inevitable. OOPS, its already started...:bse

Mountain Hippie
03-23-2005, 23:52
Maybe you could read the old threads, identify the dog owners/lovers, and PM them for more details. This will get you more info while avoiding the inevitable. OOPS, its already started...:bse
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. The mention of certain words act as triggers, and can put you in the crosshairs of someones cyber flame thrower. Dog is one of those words. Crap....now I am doomed.