PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Springer?

B-Rabbit
03-01-2012, 14:15
I have done the hike to Amicalola Falls several times and am not concerned about doing the approach. I know that I can access Springer from FS42 1 mile north of the plaque. I don't want to start my hike by heading the wrong way on the trail. I am wondering if there is a good access point somewhere along the approach? My family insist on seeing me off so my plan is to camp on springer for the fist night. I know they will drag it out so I don't want to commit to may miles that day. Is the Hike Inn a good place to start? Or is there a Fire road south of Springer I could start at?

max patch
03-01-2012, 15:05
Here are your options if you don't want to hike the approach or backtrack S on the AT from FS42.

1. You mentioned the Hike Inn but that is basically the same as hiking the approach. You hike the green blazed trail from AFSP to the Hike Inn (don't show up without a reservation) and then hike until you reach the blue blazed approach trail.

2. FS 28 crosses the approach trail about 3 miles south of Springer. That is where I started my thru. The road at the time was VERY rutted and I had doubts that we would make it. A couple years later Darrell Maret (author of the Philosophers Guide which begat the Thru Hikers Handbook) tried to go up that road in his 4wd truck and had to turn around. I have not been on that road since nor do I ever intend to (FS 42 is convenient to me). I would not recommend this road unless you have info from someone who has been on it recently that it is driveable. (It may be perfectly fine for all I know).

3. The best option imo is to continue past the Springer parking lot on FS 42 for a bout a mile and you will come to where the Benton MaKaye crosses the road. There is place for a couple cars to park here. Hike S on the Benton MacKaye (on your right from the road) for a mile or so and you will intersect the AT 0.1 from Springer.

flemdawg1
03-01-2012, 16:36
I have done the hike to Amicalola Falls several times and am not concerned about doing the approach. I know that I can access Springer from FS42 1 mile north of the plaque. I don't want to start my hike by heading the wrong way on the trail. I am wondering if there is a good access point somewhere along the approach? My family insist on seeing me off so my plan is to camp on springer for the fist night. I know they will drag it out so I don't want to commit to may miles that day. Is the Hike Inn a good place to start? Or is there a Fire road south of Springer I could start at?

I had felt the same way about starting for my GA section hike last April. However, circumstances intervened so that I started much later than I intended, so I had the shuttle driver (generoll, i highly reccomend him) just take me to USFS 72. Honestly I didn't miss it once I started from the Springer shelter the next day. So I would advise don't sweat it. The Approach Trail isn't part of the AT, and a 1 mile back track is quite insignificant in the bigger picture. you'll prob at some point leave something behind and have to backtrack 3-6 miles for it.

stranger
03-01-2012, 17:39
I once had the same thoughts about backtracking on the AT to the souther terminus, and this was before the Benton MacKaye Trail existed, but we got there later in the day and it was raining, so we know that 'plans' tend to change in those circumstances haha.

If you are dead set against backtracking, to the BMT, but even then you will have 0.2 mile of backtrack. The road at Nimblewill Gap is very lightly travelled for good reason, it's a mess, but if you can get up it that will put you about 3 miles from Springer as others have mentioned.

I say do the BMT back to Springer. GETTING to the trail shouldn't be a chore in my view!

stranger
03-01-2012, 17:39
a number of typos in that last post, sorry!

flemdawg1
03-01-2012, 17:58
FS42 not 72

B-Rabbit
03-01-2012, 19:31
Thanks for the info! Ill look into the BMT inyersection. 19 days till I start my Thru attempt!!