PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Candles

DogPaw
03-01-2012, 14:25
I've learned how to make a Finnish Candle, which is basically a softwood log prepared in such a way as to be a standing torch that you can cook on. I'm not very good at setting fires without a prepared surface or catalyst beforehand, so these seem to be up my alley. What I'd like to know is how dangerous they are to have burning on the trail when I set up camp. They keep about a foot off the ground so scorching isn't an issue, but I'm worried I might set a tree on fire or something. Should I save them for peaks?

Spokes
03-01-2012, 14:39
Congratulations! Sounds like a great trail name...... Better than Esbit Guy.

JAK
03-01-2012, 15:12
Not that easy to make without a chain saw.

DogPaw
03-01-2012, 15:24
Think a hatchet would work? I'm good with one.

JAK
03-01-2012, 16:38
It would be very tricky. A saw and hatchet maybe. You might be better off lashing smaller logs together to form the same sort of shape. Maybe three longer and 4 shorter, with one of the shorter in the center. All cut from the same straight log to be the same diameter.

vamelungeon
03-01-2012, 17:13
OK, I have to google this for pictures/video...but no, you don't want to carry saws or hatchets, that's a lot of weight.

vamelungeon
03-01-2012, 17:16
http://youtu.be/jOAejiwCIpg
Interesting but I don't know if that could be considered a hiking skill. More like a hunting camp or base camp skill. I've got friends that ride horses on mountain trails and camp out, it would be great for them.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 17:38
http://youtu.be/jOAejiwCIpg
Interesting but I don't know if that could be considered a hiking skill. More like a hunting camp or base camp skill. I've got friends that ride horses on mountain trails and camp out, it would be great for them.+10 what's the weight on taht log.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 17:40
+10 what's the weight on taht log.Sorry my right finger hadn't seen:banana my left finger in a while.:o

JAK
03-01-2012, 20:21
Thgis fellow did what I was thinking, and does a great job considering the wet conditions.

JAK
03-01-2012, 20:21
Oops...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKzvWDeiFc

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 20:56
Oops...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKzvWDeiFcvery cool JAK thanks for posting.

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2012, 22:52
I like the idea of a trail name of Esbit Guy.... Kind of goes with Malibu Earthquake.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2012, 23:37
Amazing, I would have never thunk that up! Not bad if you happen to have a saw and some time to kill. Hope you don't want something hot to eat/drink in a hurry.

As for the danger, you still shouldn't make a fire outside a proper rock fire ring.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 23:49
Amazing, I would have never thunk that up! Not bad if you happen to have a saw and some time to kill. Hope you don't want something hot to eat/drink in a hurry.

As for the danger, you still shouldn't make a fire outside a proper rock fire ring.No,a lot of these things may not be good for trail hiking,but there are definitely good to know for say........the apocalyptic end game.

Rocket Jones
03-02-2012, 07:13
Neat idea, but if you're talking about cooking with it, why not just make a small fire in a ring? It may be impressive, but it's also kind of dumb, because essentially you're making a brand new pot stand each and every time you need one. Find 3 rocks, or carry a wire setup.

JAK
03-02-2012, 08:34
No,a lot of these things may not be good for trail hiking,but there are definitely good to know for say........the apocalyptic end game.I love to visit survivalist sites. I don`t mean the woodland survival but the hard core be prepared to shoot your zombie neighbours stuff. Still good information though.

Some recurring themes I find really odd...
1. Very focused on preparing for survival, but many are not so interested in living simply or independantly now.
2. Many stock up on food and stuff, but don`t talk about cycling through it regularly.
3. My favourite, they`ll grasp at anything to talk about the end coming, but when something like global warming comes along, which has excellent potential for causing chaos, collapse, death, and destruction, they`ll deny it exists.

Homesteading sites are another favourite. Similar but different. Much good stuff. Some cross-over.
Simple Living Sites, good information but a little too boring compared to the others.
The British primitive living type sites are probably most compatable with my thinking. Good stuff.

Love the internet. Reminds us just how much diversity there still is out there, and hopefully always will be.

JAK
03-02-2012, 08:44
Neat idea, but if you're talking about cooking with it, why not just make a small fire in a ring? It may be impressive, but it's also kind of dumb, because essentially you're making a brand new pot stand each and every time you need one. Find 3 rocks, or carry a wire setup.I agree. I think its most useful in demonstrating the idea of reflecting heat back into the combustion chamber. It`s an idea you might incorporate into a small wood stove or even a vegetable oil stove. A practical application of a Finnish Candle or the Fire Bundle might be in a emergency where you need some sort of a warming and drying fire but still want something requiring less work than a larger fire, but bigger than whatever hobo stove you have. Also, if hiking where there has been some recent logging, a fresh stump might be used. I`m curious what it might be like as it burns down, whether you can still rest a pot on top of it.