PDA

View Full Version : Bland County - Appalachian Trail Community

Trubrit
03-01-2012, 20:19
Bland County VA have been awarded Appalachian Trail Community Status. To celebrate this they will be holding "Festival of Trails' on May 26th 2012.
I am taking care of any camping people may wish to do at this event. If you in the area, this is the week after Trail Days in Damascus, give me a call and I will come and get you from either Rte615 AT TH or Rte 52 AT TH. of course I will get you back there too.
Its their 1st event of this kind but there will be a few things going on and I will update the event as and when things are decided.
You can contact me on 708 207 6725.

RWheeler
03-01-2012, 21:03
I should actually be in Bland right around the 26th. I'll be sure to take down your number in case I am near there at that time while on my thru?

mikec
03-01-2012, 21:39
Congrats to Bland! I ended a section and started a section there. I have fond memories of sitting in front of the grocery store for about 5 hours waiting for my ride to pick me up.

waywardfool
03-01-2012, 23:19
I got my butt saved at Bastian/Bland many years ago. Mid/late 80's iirc. Blew out a knee (again), a "Dr. Frog" -- I think he was a school principal or administrator or something -- gave me a lift. I forget if he was in Bland or Bastian. Gave me a ride to P'burg.

Trubrit
03-02-2012, 01:17
RWheeler, give me a call before you come down Brushy Mountain into the Laurel creek valley, there is no reception in the valley for any phones. Or just head South on 615 till you clear the valley then call (about a mile)

Trubrit
03-19-2012, 15:58
Update to this event.
Unfortunately Fort Bastian Recreation,Inc. will be withdrawing from involvement in this event at tonight's (Monday 19th March 2012) Committee meeting.
The original concept and theme for the event has been very much downsized and has become just a unadvertised local thing, which for all the world I can find no relationship to the AT Community.
FBR,Inc will still be available for shuttles for any AT Hikers in the area who would like to be shuttled in to Bland for resupply and such but is no longer associated with the event.
Camping , overnights , zero days, shuttles etc, FBR,Inc will be happy to accommodate you to its best ability.
Trubrit 708-207-6725.