PDA

View Full Version : First time on the trail

Captain Skivvies
03-01-2012, 21:34
I'm looking for advice to put together my first trip on the trail. I'm looking at 1-2 weeks and am considering the area from the Roan Highlands to Grayson Highlands. I have the option of going in May or June. My travel partner and I are in good shape but I'm not experinced as a backpacker. Please share if you feel this would be a good place to start my AT hikes and which month is better. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Blissful
03-01-2012, 21:39
If you go in May there will be a LOT of thru hikers in the area. But it's a nice section to do. Challenging with lots of ups and downs. But great scenery esp if you can get it on a good stretch of weather.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 21:59
:welcomeenjoy your hike!

Ktaadn
03-02-2012, 12:10
I'm looking for advice to put together my first trip on the trail. I'm looking at 1-2 weeks and am considering the area from the Roan Highlands to Grayson Highlands. I have the option of going in May or June. My travel partner and I are in good shape but I'm not experinced as a backpacker. Please share if you feel this would be a good place to start my AT hikes and which month is better. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

If you aren't an experienced backpacker, I would highly recommend that you spend a few nights or weekends backpacking close to home. You will learn a lot about your gear, what you like to eat, and yourself. It would really ruin your trip if you were on day 2 of a 2 week hike when you realized that you hate your boots/shoes/socks, your pack, and all of the food that you brought.

Captain Skivvies
03-02-2012, 17:42
Thanks for the input. I hope to do one or two overnights in April to be sure evrything works like I think it will. Appreciate your help.

Captain Skivvies
03-02-2012, 17:45
I wondered about the timing of thru hikers. I also noticed there's a festival of some kind in Damascus in May. Will there be alot of local traffic in June as the rhodenras(sp?) bloom? Thanks for your ideas. Any other parts of the trail you especially like or might recommend?

wornoutboots
03-02-2012, 19:59
Trail Days festival is always the weekend after mothers day, it will be packed & I would think the trail 50 miles N & S will be busy

ScottP
03-03-2012, 20:55
How I'd plan it:
Hike NOBO in June to avoid most of the crowds. Hop on the AT in Erwin, TN and hike north till you run out of time.

That's a gorgeous area. It's not easy, but it's very rewarding. It's a good first section if you're fit.

Starting in Erwin, TN
Easy resupplies (in order from S to N) at Greasy Creek friendly (hostel), Kincora Hostel, Damascus, and The Barn restaurant. 3-5 days between resupplies is good for me. YMMV. Make sure you have some sort of AT guidebook (I use the ALDHA companion. There are other fine guidebooks out there)

Post in the shuttle section with times and dates. Some whiteblaze members run reliable shuttles in that area at very reasonable rates.

Plan 10-15 miles a day depending how good of shape you think you are in. You'll probably need less food than you think (1.5-1.8 lbs/day). Have lots of water capacity and as part of your food have some sort of sports drink mix or electrolyte replenishment strategy. Bring more snacks and less 'dinners' than you'd think. In the heat many people have little to no craving for fatty foods (nuts, peanut butter, etc.). Think carbs. Snickers bars are your friend.

Hike in the morning and evening: save your long breaks for the middle of the day to spare yourself from the heat and give yourself a nice rest.

Carry as little as is safe/comfortable for you.

Make sure you carry some sort of tent/tarp. Planning to rely on the AT shelters is considered poor form.

Enjoy!