PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Bonanza...

Hammock Hanger
12-15-2002, 13:46
For those interested in making some of your own stuff sacks, pack covers etc. etc.. Check out the $1.00 bin at Walmart!! I found gray, navy and black impregnated silnylon !!! I also found the silky material that most sleeping bags are made from for, yeap!! $1.00. They also have the same poly material that alot of hiking wear is made from. I brought a tank at EMS last year for 18.00 and just bought the same material made one for $.75 How cool is that!!!

Just passing on the savings. HAMMOCK HANGER

Chickenfeet
01-27-2003, 15:33
I just found material frighteningly similar to my polypropylene pants in the dollar bin. Not sure it's actually polypropylene, but it's still kicks ass.

Redbeard
01-27-2003, 22:52
I finally worked up enough courage to walk into that Union hating mess of sweat shop crap called Wal-Mart. They didn't have any syltarp! Now my reputation is shot and I still don't have any.:(

Hammock Hanger
01-28-2003, 00:02
Your rep is safe here, we won't tell. HH

LIhikers
02-28-2005, 10:26
I found some Blaze Orange ripstop nylon in my local Walmart for cheap. I made pack covers that I use during hunting season even if the weather is dry.

stupe
02-28-2005, 22:24
Last year I got ten yards of 60 inch wide sylnylon at Wal Mart for a dollar a yard. Made a ten by ten tarp, a poncho, and a pack cover.

JOlsen
03-03-2005, 14:20
I've checked the dollar bin at Walmart and I've not been able to tell what type of fabric it is. None of the sales folks know either. The tag (if there is one) may say "100% nylon" but that's about it. The SiNylon has a kind of waxy feel, But how can you tell 1.1 oz ripstop from something else? I guess for a couple bucks it's not too bad if you don't get what you thought it was.

Tha Wookie
03-03-2005, 14:39
An ALTERNATIVE way to get cheap fabric is to buy some off the web from one of the many HIKER-based sites that sell fabrics. In doing so, you can SUPPORT the hiking community and choose NOT TO SUPPORT international child labor rights violations, incredible natural landscape destruction that Wal-Mart is so guilty of (financed by YOU), cultural oppression, and marketplace monopoly.

That way, when you curl up this summer in your fleece bag that you made, you'll be able to sleep at night.:D

www.questoutfitters.com (http://www.questoutfitters.com)
www.thru-hiker.com (http://www.thru-hiker.com)
www.rayjardine.com (http://www.rayjardine.com)
www.adventurefabrics.com (http://www.adventurefabrics.com) (or something like that)

Anyone else know of any ALTERNATIVE places to buy cheap high-performance fabrics (where the sales people know what they're selling)?

erichlf
03-03-2005, 16:54
Just the other day I was at WalMart looking for practice material, and out of the corner of my eye I found SilNylon $1/yd. I bought all 16yds. So now I am working on 2 packs of my own design, a dog pack of my own design, a poncho for my dog again of my own design, and a bunch of stuff sacks. Can anyone think of something else to make with the Silnylon? I don't need any rain gear so...

An ALTERNATIVE way to get cheap fabric is to buy some off the web from one of the many HIKER-based sites that sell fabrics. In doing so, you can SUPPORT the hiking community and choose NOT TO SUPPORT international child labor rights violations, incredible natural landscape destruction that Wal-Mart is so guilty of (financed by YOU), cultural oppression, and marketplace monopoly. I fully agree with this, but a dollar a yard is to good, for someone that has no money, to pass up. Also, this material in many cases had lost its labeling and walmart does not want to figure out what it is, and thus is the reasoning for the sale at $1/yd. This means they are losing money on the deal. So in effect you are ripping them off.

blytz
03-11-2005, 17:20
I can't find it here at my walmart (I actually went to three, the first times in like 10 months that I stepped foot into one!!!!).

Would anybody be willing to buy me say 15 yards, I would pay for the fabric, shipping, and kick in a few dollars more.

Thanks!
blytz

erichlf
03-13-2005, 13:32
I can't find it here at my walmart (I actually went to three, the first times in like 10 months that I stepped foot into one!!!!).

Would anybody be willing to buy me say 15 yards, I would pay for the fabric, shipping, and kick in a few dollars more.

Thanks!
blytz The problem isn't your wal mart. These materials are not normally carried by wal mart. It took me about a year of checking the dollar bin before I found my silnylon.

blytz
03-13-2005, 18:16
Oh, okay.... well. Dang, I never go to Wal-Mart, maybe I'll have to show my mother-in-law what I'm looking for and have her check for me.

Thanks for the heads up! (Does Wal-mart carry Silnylon as regular stock? Or are these $1.00 bins just misc. stuff they get randomly?)

erichlf
03-13-2005, 20:38
Thanks for the heads up! (Does Wal-mart carry Silnylon as regular stock? Or are these $1.00 bins just misc. stuff they get randomly?) I have never seen it carried as normal stock. Go to www.questoutfitters.com for all sorts of fabrics.

One Leg
03-13-2005, 21:14
Oh, okay.... well. Dang, I never go to Wal-Mart, maybe I'll have to show my mother-in-law what I'm looking for and have her check for me.

Gotta be careful doing things like that. Last time someone else went shopping for material for me, I got Pepto-Bismol Pink material. Pure hatefuleness, I tell you!