PDA

View Full Version : Denatured alcohol purchase limit???

grrickar
03-23-2005, 18:59
I sent the wife to Wal Mart the other day to get some more denatured alcohol for testing the stoves I am making, and the girl at the register told her she could not buy 3 cans of it at once, but she could do three separate sales to buy them. Anyone else ran into this, and why?

I know some substances used to make meth have purchase quantity limits set, but I've never heard of denatured alcohol being one of them. :-?

steve hiker
03-23-2005, 19:02
Sounds like bunk to me. What size cans? I bought a gallon recently, no questions asked.

smokymtnsteve
03-23-2005, 19:04
well grrikkar just like a lot of things here in the land of the free and the home of the brave...your GULITY until proven Innocent.

I feel so much safer now that you can't buy all the denatured alkyhol you want in one purchase.

Don't U feel safer now?

hikerjohnd
03-23-2005, 19:07
I sent the wife to Wal Mart the other day to get some more denatured alcohol for testing the stoves I am making, and the girl at the register told her she could not buy 3 cans of it at once, but she could do three separate sales to buy them. Anyone else ran into this, and why?

I know some substances used to make meth have purchase quantity limits set, but I've never heard of denatured alcohol being one of them. :-?
So how much are you selling your meth for? If I can get a better price from you... :D

Footslogger
03-23-2005, 19:23
Maybe denatured alcohol has been added to the controlled substance list ??

Egads ...what's next ?

'Slogger

SGT Rock
03-23-2005, 19:43
No, that really is a Wal-Mart thing. I have had this experience at more than one Wal-Mart. I have also had the same experience at Wal-Mart buying Lithium batteries and a thing or two else. Seems some of this stuff can be used to make drugs and/or abused by kids.

Lowe's will sell you gallons of the stuff at the same time.

RU98A
03-23-2005, 19:53
Some people drink the stuff if they are desperate enough!:eek: I use the yellow bottle Heet myself as it seems to burn hotter and cleaner.

hikerjohnd
03-23-2005, 20:10
Some people drink the stuff if they are desperate enough!:eek: I use the yellow bottle Heet myself as it seems to burn hotter and cleaner.
Do does it burn hotter going down or coming out? :D

grrickar
03-24-2005, 01:01
I'd say these were quart cans. They certainly are not gallon size. She bought three of them because I had burned up my other can rather fast testing stoves.

Tha Wookie
03-24-2005, 01:06
It's probably because they assume that Wal-mart customers are on meth since they shop in a monopoly that puts them and their neighbors out of business. Or maybe because the American dream is thusly spoiled, they assume their customers will need to manufacture a great deal of meth in an equally repugnant attempt to reconcile their sins.:)

Lint
03-24-2005, 14:37
Well said, Wookie. We tried to stop the Mall-Wart from opening in a town near where I live, but it was built anyway. Goodbye local business, hello cheap consumer bric-a-brac.

The Solemates
03-24-2005, 15:05
No, that really is a Wal-Mart thing. I have had this experience at more than one Wal-Mart. I have also had the same experience at Wal-Mart buying Lithium batteries and a thing or two else. Seems some of this stuff can be used to make drugs and/or abused by kids.

Lowe's will sell you gallons of the stuff at the same time.

And an Ace Hardware thing evidently. I was in Ace one day and they refused sale to an 18 year-old because of the meth thing. Unlike
us hikers, he really was buying to use for meth.

owl
03-28-2005, 02:51
The best place to buy denatured alcohol is a Lowes lumber or Home depot etc. buy it by the gallon it is cheaper by the ounce that way as for wal-mart they do limit some substances because they may be used to make meth-A.
but this is the first time I have heard denatured in that catagory.
If you mail the stuff you have to use ground only; airmail is prohibited.
along the trail it is easy to find in trail towns by the ounce.
i know folks use Heet but remember it is an automotive product, it does not suggest its use other than an additive to your gas tank, and as such they do not have to list completely all additives that they use to make heet so you may be breathing a toxic substance, on denatured alcohaol cans you will see "for use with marine grade alcohole stoves" but everyone must make thier own choices in life, some folks need to be on the edge.