PDA

View Full Version : Space blanket tent

tinytuna
03-02-2012, 03:12
My friend and I are trying to go really light weight for the AT, so we've been thinking about making our own tent (we're also on a tight budget). We've been thinking about taking a space blanket tent we've made for the AT. But at the same time I'm wondering whether that's actually a good idea.... Any advice?
What's an affordable alternative for a light weight tent?

Spokes
03-02-2012, 06:15
Sure it's possible but I say don't skimp on your shelter. Heck, you'll be living in it for 5 months so spend some bucks. Of course, a good ol' sil-nylon tarp is another cost effective solution. You'll want to consider bug protection.

How about buying a good used one? Check your thrift stores. Sometimes hiking gear comes through the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-l2Dx4QLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-l2Dx4QLs

Cheers!

Joey C
03-02-2012, 07:47
I bet that would be loud during a rain storm!! Try it out, but have a back up plan just in case.

Spokes
03-02-2012, 08:09
I bet that would be loud during a rain storm!! Try it out, but have a back up plan just in case.

lol..... it'll drive you freakin' crazy! Plus it's not the best way to make friends on the trail.

swjohnsey
03-02-2012, 08:09
I think Tyvek would be cheaper, lighter and more durable.

Spokes
03-02-2012, 08:11
The Grandma Gatewood trick would work too. Just go to the dollar store and buy a shower curtain.

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 08:45
The Grandma Gatewood trick would work too. Just go to the dollar store and buy a shower curtain.
And don't foget the curtain rings,there good for hangin stuf off of.HeHeHe

ScottP
03-02-2012, 09:41
the space blanket material isn't durable enough to use more than a handful of times.

Skid.
03-02-2012, 10:25
2011 thru-hiker Buckeye Flash used one a couple of nites, his blog sez he woke up soaking wet, no air circulation.

Blissful
03-02-2012, 11:08
My friend and I are trying to go really light weight for the AT, so we've been thinking about making our own tent (we're also on a tight budget).

You might want to give thought to your budget also. Might be better to work another year, pick up odds jobs etc. save up, and then go. I've seen hikers have to get off b/c of money. That being said you can also look online and other places for ways to save on good gear. The AT is not going anywhere.

takethisbread
03-02-2012, 13:52
150 days in a climate with some heavy rains. I think some wise advice has been given here. Shelter is important.
Buy a used tent. Winds/rain seem to be an issue. You could just carry bivy sacks if you want to save weight and money.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2012, 16:33
Winds/rain seem to be an issue.

That's for sure. I rode out a wicked T storm last spring in my tent which pulled two of my tent stakes right out of the ground and collapsed the tent on me. I had to sit up for over an hour holding onto the hiking pole (the tent support) to keep the tent over my head. Never been more scared in my life as that night with lightning seemingly striking way too close for comfort.

Get caught in a storm like that with a space blanket "tent" and the first strong gust of wind will send it flying, leaving you with no protection at all.

Of course, my choice of tenting spots that night was not the best. I was in a place which formed a natural wind tunnel effect as the T-storm pushed through and I was on the wrong side of the ridge, the side facing the storm. But you just don't know these things until it happends.

QiWiz
03-02-2012, 17:44
Succinct advice: Don't Do It.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2012, 21:40
Bad idea...........

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 23:14
I think that material was made for the NASA,and was designed for insulation not so much for strength,but go ahead and try it.But maybe try it before the big trip,and try to be as brutal with it as you can,then please report.I'd be curious to know how you make out.

Drybones
03-03-2012, 00:03
One hard driving rain and your shelter is gone and your wet and cold. Look at the Eureka Spitfire 1 tent. You should be able to find one for $90 or so. It's reasonably light, durable, easy to put up and take down and handles wind well. I have several tents I've paid more money for but I still like using this little tent.

Spokes
03-03-2012, 06:26
Bad idea...........

Agreed. It's a good way to earn the trail name "Baked Potato".

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2012, 08:38
Well if the police is looking for you with a helicopter - it might stop the FLIR from finding you. On the other hand the reflected light will be seen from space...... Don't Do IT.

Half Note
03-03-2012, 10:18
I've used the space blanket a few times and I can tell you the material is not durable at all. Use it as a tent with it stretched out and it won't take the biggest branch out there to puncture it when it comes falling down. And once there's one hole in it, you can forget about it - it's game over from there.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2012, 10:31
I think the point Half Note is just to make something light and cheap - not to last.

Kerosene
03-03-2012, 10:37
I wouldn't think that the typical space blanket material would last the first moderately windy evening. You'd be better off with buying some sil-nylon and crafting a Gatewood Cape.

Half Note
03-03-2012, 10:40
Then buying 50+ space blankets along the way at $5+ each just isn't the way to go.

Sandy of PA
03-04-2012, 18:18
Far better off with a roll of 6mil builders plastic!