PDA

View Full Version : Mapdanna

alanthealan
03-23-2005, 22:18
Do the ATC's mapdannas contain as much info as the Companion/Data Book?
I would imagine that the data book would be easy to fit in, but the town info would not. Is the map useful? Anyone used them?

Lilred
03-23-2005, 22:32
I have the mapdanna for the first section of georgia, tn/NC. I got it at antigravitygear.com. I plan on using it this upcoming week when I hike from Springer to Neel's Gap. Previously, I've used the companion downloaded off the web. The mapdanna has more information with regards to water and camping spots than the companion does. I don't know about the data book or the thru-hikers handbook, haven't seen those yet. The mapdanna seems to have all the info I need.

cburnett
03-23-2005, 22:47
The mapdannas don't have as much information as the data book or companion or hiker handbook.

Do they have enough? I would say so. I used my mapdannas regularly instead of my data book as I was a shelter rat and they[shelters] are all on there.

Yet for example for states like NJ, NY, CT, MA not knowing where nearby deli's are at road crossings can be a bummer. but for this little extra info you could always ask another hiker nicely or review the companion online while intown or if it was in your bounce box.

A minimal approach to AT information but still having the guise of some planning is taking the mapdannas and a condensed version of the resupply notes from Jack Tarlin.

flyfisher
03-23-2005, 22:57
A minimal approach to AT information but still having the guise of some planning is taking the mapdannas and a condensed version of the resupply notes from Jack Tarlin.
That is how I am going to review the Virginia Mapdana for BackpackGearTest.org in April. I have printed Jack's posts and will be carrying the Mapdana without another data book.

Look for my Field Report about the second week of May on BGT.

I previously used the Mapdana alone for the section from Springer to Clingman's Dome. It worked pretty well, but there were a couple errors I reported to Antigravity Gear. They have posted the errata on their site, so no one else needs to discover it for themselves if they don't want to.

MedicineMan
03-24-2005, 03:11
I think antigravities Mapdanna an awesome idea, and nothing says you can't get a permanent marker and add to it.

petmac
03-28-2005, 17:28
I plan on mailing them to my self when I start my SOBO hike this year. However I plan on laminating them for more use and longer life. They are really informative; I reference them all the time during my planning process.

hikerjohnd
03-28-2005, 17:31
I plan on mailing them to my self when I start my SOBO hike this year. However I plan on laminating them for more use and longer life. They are really informative; I reference them all the time during my planning process.
Is it easy to laminate a piece of cloth? Seems odd...:-?

SGT Rock
03-28-2005, 19:15
Keeps it clean so you don't have to wash it :D

saimyoji
03-28-2005, 19:33
I do this with toilet paper. :eek:

alanthealan
03-28-2005, 19:39
I received my mapdannas today. They are easy to read and the info is a little more indepth than the data book. Fist impression I am happy. It is nice not having to worry about mailing pages ahead. However I wish they would have used both side to include more info.

Laminate? You might as well bring maps and pages, I don't understand the reasoning. I plan on doing all the regular dirty deeds with mine.

NotYet
01-07-2006, 17:33
My husband, Randy, and I have just become partners in the Outdoor Paths Map Store in Black Mountain, NC, and we recently started carrying the Mapdannas! :clap

If you're in the Asheville area and want to see them up close and personal, we have the Mapdannas on display. The store is at 100 1/2 W. State Street across from Town Hardware. This time of year we are open from 10-5 on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat.

I've been really impressed with the product...I think it was a fantastic idea!

canoehead
01-07-2006, 17:42
I just got one for my brother it is prety informitive but i would not use it as a stand alone source of trail info, and it could also be used as many alternitive things that you might need a bandana for in a pinch. the books offer so much more and you can just chill and read them time and time and time and time again when your at your camp for the nite.........
good reading!