PDA

View Full Version : Guided Yosemite Trip

Michael Spain
03-02-2012, 09:53
Having just picked up the backpacking bug seriously in the last few years, I have fallen in love with the images of Yosemite Valley, and the JMT. I have set a goal for myself to travel out and do a multi-day hike and fishing trip in honor of turning 40 next year. I want to pack in the most views and experiences into a 4-5 day trip as I can. Then maybe stay at the lodge and do some fishing. Still trying to figure out my plans. I will be just like any other tourist. I was thinking mid spring to early summer as the time to go. I was also planning on using one of the guide companies since this would be my first hike outside of Ga. (I know that will offend a lot of the purists, but it will make my wife happy.)

I was looking for some thoughts and suggestions to maximize my experiences on this trip. Places to see, that sort of thing. I know I want to do half dome. What other things would you recommend.

Thank you for your input.

Land_Shark
03-02-2012, 10:02
What exactly r you wanting to do? I can help with the guide aspect but it depends on what you are wanting for level of comfort. I am a SEASONED outdoorsman who likes to hike and fish, simply said I make doing this look easy and we all know its not. I have for the last 4 years been running (seriously I run on the trail with my pack total weight 17-20 lbs w/food) up and down the at and the ct (I from colorado) helping people who need it. I would love to hike the jmt and would be willing to do this for just the company.

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 11:46
Go check out camp four,and do some bouldering,you won't be sorry!

flemdawg1
03-02-2012, 16:35
Unless the guide has a skillset that you lack (mountaineering, mtn biking, flyfishing, white water rafting, etc.), you're just better off googling for other people's trip reports and making your own itinerary.

Michael Spain
03-05-2012, 11:48
Thank you for your input so far. My wife works for the Police Department and is worrisome and skeptical of my skill and ability going solo. It would require a sat phone, etc., to make the journey without therapy and Xanax for her, (and she won't be on the trail.) Anyway, I figure this trip to be like a Backpacking tourist. I want to see and experience as much as I can in the time available. I just want to get some information and insight into what I really should see and not get into the crowds at peak season.

moof53
03-05-2012, 15:32
Michael, have you looked at the Yosemite High Sierra Loop above Yosemite Valley? It is in the Tuolumne area of Yosemite. There are five High Sierra Camps, six if you count Tuolumne. They are Tuolumne HSC, Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp (HSC), May Lake HSC, Sunrise HSC, Merced HSC, and Vogelsang HSC. You can hike them in a loop, about 45 miles, or reach them independently from various areas around Tuolumne. There are semi permanent tent cabins at each HSC with meals available via lottery each summer however, they are very difficult to get. I have been trying for over 20 years to stay at the tent cabins and have never been selected. There are also backpacking areas next to the camps for independent backpacking which is what I end up doing. The camps are from 7 miles to 10 miles apart. Doesn't sound like much but there is much steep terrain, 7,000 feet to a little over 10,000 feet. Here is the official website http://www.yosemitepark.com/accomodations_highsierracamps.aspx

I have always hiked with a partner for the loop but have seen many solo backpackers doing the loop. It is a wonderful trip, especially Sunrise HSC. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer whatever I can. Just got our back country permit reservation today for a week long trip in August.

BoiledPeanut
03-05-2012, 15:59
My wife gave me a gift of a guided hike in the GSM. That way she fells I will not be an idiot alone in the woods. I'll be an idiot with someone that will assist me with water, shelter, etc... \

I like to fish, and am very knowledgeable, but will get a guide when in a new area. Cheaper than buying a new foot on my motor when I hit a un-mapped underwater hazard!

REI Adventures offers alot in that area.

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/namer/namerreg.html#california

flemdawg1
03-12-2012, 17:51
This weekend I went to Grand Canyon National Park. I simply went to the backcountry office talked to a ranger, got a permit for a beautifully scenic overnight trip. There was a placard at the trailhead that explained the history of the area, geography etc. I went out for my hike in solitude seeing nobody until the campsite and then only breifly. The next day I met 3 guided groups on the trail and saw another at the trailhead. the guide pretty much just repeated the info on the nearby placard. If I had paid to be guided down the trail with the rest of the tour group herd I would've missed the quiet and personal reflection of the beauty that surrounded me. And I'd be out $500.

http://www.fsguides.com/grandview_Horseshoe.htm

ndwoods
03-17-2012, 00:38
Let your wife know that one of the posterers here is a dispatcher (me) and I handle a lot of rescues and I wouldn't worry one bit about the JMT or anything in Yosemite...the trails are very very well marked! Having said that....mid spring to early summer...you will find lots of snow probably and not much trail showing! I would move your trip to no earlier than mid July if you haven't hiked the Sierra before. Even then you will have snow on the passes....:)