PDA

View Full Version : Let Me Pick the Brains of Some Experts! Tents??

Chuppacabra
03-02-2012, 15:59
Dear Whiteblaze seasoned Vets,

I'm a 21 year old semi-experienced hiker who is quitting his job to do a thru-hike beginning April 19th. To preface I have done about 600 miles hiking total in my lifetime and am slim and in good physical condition. I MUST either finish (or quit :/) by the end of August, so time is somewhat squeezed. Therefore, I'm trying to find a perfect balance of lightweight while still being comfortable/well supplied enough without getting injured.

My question: Does anyone have some tent suggestions? Granted I know it's just opinions, but something thats well reviewed or has worked well for you. I DO NOT want to get an ultra-light tent ie a glorified tarp, I want something comfortable that will keep me dry, but will not exceed 5 pounds (tent i have now is almost 6). Lastly, what do you think of hammock sleeping? I did it for the first time over the summer for a week trip in the Nantahala area last year and it worked alright. With me hiking primarily in the summer months do you think I'll be comfortable enough?

Sorry for the lengthy post but any other suggestions unrelated would be appreciated. I won't pretend to be clueless nor will I pretend to know it all I know theres a lot of wisdom I can glean from you guys. Thanks a lot!

Chuppacabra
03-02-2012, 16:01
Additional info: I'm about 150 lbs, and my pack generally sits between 33-37 pounds, I'd like to be closer to 30 or even upper 20's. I'm gonna put a cap of $175 on how much I'm willing to spend on my tent as well. Thanks again

Juice
03-02-2012, 16:08
You might want to search several websites for sales if you're limiting yourself to $175. REI, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Big Agnes. All decent companies, good luck.

swjohnsey
03-02-2012, 16:09
eBay is your friend. New within your budget Eureka Backcountry I, Spitfire I. Used Big Agnes Seedhouse UL1, Fly Creek UL1. Tarptents if you plan to use trekking poles.

hpowers
03-02-2012, 16:12
If you can find one on sale, the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 weighs slightly over 3 lbs. The newer Copper Spur 1 UL weighs slightly less than 3 lbs, and both of these are "real" tents.

ezNomad
03-02-2012, 16:21
I have an REI T1 quarterdome which is about 3.5lbs, and I like it. I got it on sale for about $175 roughly but regular it $219. If you are above 6ft maybe too small though (not sure of exact length but seems to be around 7ft). Check the reviews on REI's site.

http://www.rei.com/product/827783/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent

turtle fast
03-02-2012, 16:22
Looking at your weight you may want to share what you are carrying. It looks like you may have too much stuff or at least get some advice on paring the weight down inexpensively. It helps to get a separate set of eyes on your stuff to go over it. If it were me I would look at the Eureka Spitfire tent at roughly 3 pounds and $89.97 at Campmor not a bad deal. The tent is a trail staple and you will see a few on your journey. You could also look at the REI Passage 1 person tent at $119.00 which may as well fit the bill for you. Some advice without spending hundreds on specialized gear.

Chuppacabra
03-02-2012, 16:25
Unfortunately I'm flying solo until just outside Lynchberg, VA so sharing isn't an option. But yes, reducing weight is definitely important. I think the biggest thing is how much water I generally carry. I'll admit I'm one of those paranoid h20 people. So I've usually got 2-3 liters of water on me at all times. Thats where most all my extra weight is coming from I believe

turtle fast
03-02-2012, 16:28
What are you using for carrying the water?

Chuppacabra
03-02-2012, 16:31
2 liter camel pack and in the past i've used a combination of either 1 nalgene or two plastic water bottles

nchiker
03-02-2012, 16:36
i have a big agnes seedhouse I SL that i would sell. THE only reason im thinking about selling it is becouse my doughter has started hiking w/me so i need a 2-3 person tent now.pm me if interested

skinewmexico
03-02-2012, 16:39
Although I ususally think Backpacker mag is full of crap, they had a nice review on an LL Bean tent unde 4# in their new advertisers reward issue. And I'll never understand why people think bing UL is automatically uncomfortable.

Tuckahoe
03-02-2012, 16:50
I'd offer up the Lightheart Solo. Sure its a lightweight shelter, but I have found it a pretty sturdy tent and not just a glorified tarp. I find its got plenty of room too.

daddytwosticks
03-02-2012, 17:02
+1 on the Lightheart Solo. However, it's out of his price range. :)

Creek Dancer
03-02-2012, 17:04
+1 on the LightHeart solo. :) This tent was put through the test of a fierce thunderstorm on Mt. Mitchell with rain, wind and hail for several hours. I stayed warm and dry and there was no damage to the tent. I have complete confidence in this tent. There is also plenty of room inside. I would describe this as a 1 1/2 person tent, all for a mere 27 ounces (I think).

Chuppacabra
03-02-2012, 17:15
I don't doubt the durability and light weight of the LightHeart (a good friend of mine did a good portion of the PCT with that tent) but with my budget and if light weight is truly the ultimate goal wouldn't I just be better suited using my hammock/tarp?

Creek Dancer
03-02-2012, 17:23
I don't know. I don't hang. :)

Tuckahoe
03-02-2012, 17:28
I don't doubt the durability and light weight of the LightHeart (a good friend of mine did a good portion of the PCT with that tent) but with my budget and if light weight is truly the ultimate goal wouldn't I just be better suited using my hammock/tarp?

I dont hang either, and maybe the hammock folks will chime in. Though it has been my impression from what hangers have said, that by the time you have a tarp, hammock, and bedding, its weighs just the same as any tent set up.

Drybones
03-02-2012, 17:45
I have a t1 I'll sell cheap if you want one of them. ezNomad is right, if your over 6' this tent is too small for you, I'm 6'2" and I have used it but it's too tight.

Drybones
03-02-2012, 17:55
The best buy for the money is a Eureka! Spitfire 1. It's a solo tent but until this year I used it for me and my 108 lb doberman to sleep in. It was definitely crowded but worked. The tent goes up quick and comes down fast and weighs 3lb, 2oz. You can probably find one for $80. You can find a better tent but I dont believe you can find better buy. I have a Big Agnes Emerald Mountain, a Tarptent DR, a Tarptent Notch, an REI Quarterdome, and a few others to compare to and I still enjoy using the old Eureka! Spitfire.

turtle fast
03-02-2012, 17:56
Remember $175 budget... The Camel back is ok as long as you remember to clean it/disinfect it once in a while which is a pain. Easier to have two Gatoraid bottles and when gets to need a cleaning is a good excuse to buy two more Gatoraids. Yes I understand that drinking styles differ with these (Gerbil watering vs gulps) while walking.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2012, 19:26
Shop used, shop for light weight. OR get a SMD skyscape scout , 34oz, $125 , if you use hiking poles.

restlesss
03-02-2012, 20:26
I love my Six moons designs tent solo along with my ULA CIRCUIT BACKPACK

Abner
03-02-2012, 21:06
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=19 this link takes you to the gear swap for backpackinglight.com website. When you figure out the lightweight tent you want, go to this site daily, several times daily, and before you know it, the very tent, or one very similar to it will come up at used prices. But you must know what you are looking for. Also, you must act quickly.

KnotHere
03-02-2012, 21:11
Hammock info here:
I just switched to the Hennessy Ultra-light backpacker Zip and am very happy. My total setup weighs in at just over 2.5 lbs (hammock, tarp, pad, straps) so lets put to rest the notion of weighing more than a tent. Of course that will change by season and temps outside. If your nighttime lows are above 45* you do not need much for extra stuff to carry. You can pick one up from them for $150 without RainFly and either use one you have or like I did, make your own for dirt cheap.

What I am really liking about the hammock is how versatile it is, not just with setup locations but with seasonal weather differences as well.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2012, 21:46
Hammock info here:
I just switched to the Hennessy Ultra-light backpacker Zip and am very happy. My total setup weighs in at just over 2.5 lbs (hammock, tarp, pad, straps) so lets put to rest the notion of weighing more than a tent. Of course that will change by season and temps outside. If your nighttime lows are above 45* you do not need much for extra stuff to carry. You can pick one up from them for $150 without RainFly and either use one you have or like I did, make your own for dirt cheap.

What I am really liking about the hammock is how versatile it is, not just with setup locations but with seasonal weather differences as well.

Well it does weigh more that a tent because 1) you can get a tent like the hexamid that weighs 11 oz with netting, not 2.5 lbs. and 2) in cool weather you need an underquilt to keep warm from the bottom side, and that is another lb or so of weight.

Hammocks are great, mostly for pitch anywhere capability. But they are no where near being the lightest option, and useless above treeline. Tents can be very light, but need flat spots, sometimes hard to come by, sometimes have to walk for miles to find a suitable spot.

Zipper
03-02-2012, 22:24
I absolutely adore my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. It's just a little over your price range, but if you average it out over your whole hike, less than a dollar a day over. It's not free standing, but that wasn't a problem for me on the AT and I was able to set it up on a tent platform once when I needed to in the Whites by tying it off to the little screw eyes on the platform. If you're really tall it might not be as good, but it had so much room it felt like a palace to me, and I loved that I could sit up in it and keep the flaps open even in a light rain, so I could see out instead of being in a "pod" like you are with the Hubbas and Big Agnes tents. I often set it up with incredible views. I'll never forget laying in my tent at Abol Springs Campground with a starlit view of Katahdin and shooting stars falling over the mountain. Or waking up in my tent in NJ and seeing two deer and a wild turkey walk by. It's about 27 oz when you include the stakes and if you get the stronger floor. Good luck with your decision!

Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA '09

KnotHere
03-02-2012, 22:53
MuddyWaters:
Sorry for the lack of clarity, I'm not saying that ALL hammocks are lighter than ALL tents, I was referring to my particular set up vs my tent setup. I am in the same budget as the OP and that is my situation. I just don't think he should be scared off by the weight issue.

In addition I really love being able to lay with my feet elevated after a long days hike and I find a hammock FAR for comfortable than the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-02-2012, 23:19
MuddyWaters:
Sorry for the lack of clarity, I'm not saying that ALL hammocks are lighter than ALL tents, I was referring to my particular set up vs my tent setup. I am in the same budget as the OP and that is my situation. I just don't think he should be scared off by the weight issue.

In addition I really love being able to lay with my feet elevated after a long days hike and I find a hammock FAR for comfortable than the ground.

No argument, different strokes for different folks. There are some very affordable hammock setups too.

Im a stomach sleeper so I prefer terra firma. I also like open shelters, to be able to watch a sunrise from my bag, smell the dirt, and feel the breezes and the different smells they bring. It amazes me that so many people want to go out in nature, and then seal themselves off from it, because that is what they do everyday at home.

KnotHere
03-02-2012, 23:22
Man I would love to say I could cowboy it up because I agree with all those points but I hate critters and crawlers so I find myself at easy enclosed or off the ground.

Either way there are so many options and trial and error will get you everywhere.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2012, 23:43
Man I would love to say I could cowboy it up because I agree with all those points but I hate critters and crawlers so I find myself at easy enclosed or off the ground.

Either way there are so many options and trial and error will get you everywhere.

I believe the reason most people prefer fully enclosed tents is some kind of fear of the nighttime creepy crawlies. Tarptent type shelters that are very open on at least one side, etc allow you to have the open experience while still maintaining your refuge. They are actually a stepping stone to just a tarp. I use a full net inner when bugs are out, because me and mosquitos just dont get along, but its really great just sleeping with nothing but maybe a roof over you for rain/dew. Its great waking up and watching it raining and your dry and snug . I dont ever recall hearing of anyone who died or was even tortured by a night time creepy-crawlie. Although a few stories abound about skunks and snakes sleeping with people. Did read of a woman who woke up with a bear licking her face once, she ate pb&J sandwich before going to bed.

Papa D
03-03-2012, 01:05
Man - I would say a MSR Hubba or Carbon Reflex, but the $150 budget has got me - if you could stay in the shelter vs a hostel 2-3 nights, you'd pay for a Hubba but here is a link to an acceptable product:

www.ebay.com/itm/Eureka-Solo-Tent-Spitfire-1-person-backpacking-3-season-lightweight-2628315-/270917935534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13f7a1ae#ht_796wt_907

ScottP
03-03-2012, 20:44
my personal opinion is to get a 6x10 flat tarp.

Transient Being
03-03-2012, 21:16
Lightheart Solo. Just got one and looks to be a great solo tent, two could fit. 27 ounces, but you need to get the tent stakes too, so it's a little more, and then add 5 oz. for the ground cloth. Still right at 2 lbs. and it's got more head room than most solo tents.

Live_for_hiking
03-06-2012, 19:04
REI Outlet: http://www.rei.com/product/812807/alps-mountaineering-mystique-10-tent-special-buy . $104.00. <4lbs.

It reminds me of my old Clip Flashlight (still have that tent).

Edit: I think an even better option would be the Eureka Spitfire (about 2lbs). http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Spitfire-Tent-sleeps-1/dp/B000EQ8VIS . 100.00 to 130.00.

MidlifeHiker
03-10-2012, 16:54
I purchased the Hubba Hubba two-man tent by MSR at LLBean. There is also a one man Hubba tent. The two man tent is $329 and the Hubba a bit less. I am 6'-4" tall and it has plenty of length, an opening in each side and two vestibules. 3lbs, 14 oz. Certainly does everything I need it to and setting it up couldn't be easier with only one double-y shaped collapsible tension pole. Check it out.

canman
03-15-2012, 15:24
Hi everyone first post. I used a tarp for years and got use to it. I'm done with the bugs they won. I got a great deal on a Marmot Limelight 2P. A little heavy at 5 pounds but had it out once and I like it. Now for a pack that it will fit in. I hate having stuff lashed on the outside.

Khike
03-15-2012, 22:19
Hey Chuppa! Check out Henry Shires Tarptents! The Contrail, more room than any of them other tents. Lighter, mine weighs in at an honest 29 oz-with a plastic ground sheet!!!! 200 bucks. Can't be be beat. All those hubbas and bubbas are nice tents but they weigh a ton. Those Lunar Solos are nice and light but I never used one. Looks like along the same lines as Tarptents. This is my second tarptent from Henry Shires. First was a double rainbow. Real nice and roomy. Plenty of room in the Contrail. I can set it up in a minute. If you don't check it out-then one day you will be sorry! Sincerely, Kevin

Khike
03-15-2012, 22:22
Oh yeah, I'm 6' 5" and 220 lbs.

lemon b
03-16-2012, 07:45
I own and have carried several. Backcounty 1, Nirth Face Mira, regular old poncho with after market clips, piece of plastic with after market clips, they all work. The later two with practice. The first two get heavy on longer hikes. Next purchase for me is going to be a Six Moons Design since the old knees now require poles.

Have fun and hike your own hike.