PDA

View Full Version : Bring the microspikes? Smokies NB starting 3/8/12

jeffmeh
03-02-2012, 16:22
Anyone familiar enough with the conditions in the Smokies to offer good advice on whether or not to bring the Kahtoola Microspikes if I were to hike it northbound beginning next week? Many thanks.

Nitrojoe
03-02-2012, 16:51
Yes, and mail them home when all possibilites of freezing temps are gone. Iam mailing mine home when I get to Pearisburg,Va. I have learned the hard way of not being prepared.

springerfever
03-02-2012, 19:17
Yep........If there is snow and ice in the Smokies, the trail will look like a bobsled run and is treacherous over the rocky areas. Mail them back home after it warms up a bit.......

ScottP
03-03-2012, 21:00
I've found them useful in the smokies in January. Never wished that I had them any other time of the year.

If you're starting in the smokies in a few days they MIGHT come in handy.

If you're starting in Georgia in a few days then leave them at home.

Mountain Mike
03-03-2012, 21:38
I've found them useful in the smokies in January. Never wished that I had them any other time of the year.

If you're starting in the smokies in a few days they MIGHT come in handy.

If you're starting in Georgia in a few days then leave them at home.

+1 if you are headed for springer soon leave them ay home. Less weight to carry. If it is bad when you get to smokies sleep in a little & let it thaw or make your own footprints in the snow on the side. Doubt you will be able to justify weight of them this year.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2012, 21:58
I think he's just going to the Smokies next week, not starting a thru. Probably not going to need them this year.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2012, 22:02
Anyone familiar enough with the conditions in the Smokies to offer good advice on whether or not to bring the Kahtoola Microspikes if I were to hike it northbound beginning next week? Many thanks.
no. not needed

Blissful
03-03-2012, 22:16
Agree with LW. I carted my Yak Trax and never put them on.

jeffmeh
03-04-2012, 11:57
Thanks for the replies. Seems like it might be prudent to have them next week, although they may end up as just a pound of ballast in the pack. I would rather carry them and not need them, then need them and not have them. And for full disclosure, this is actually for my son who is rapidly approaching Fontana, so having him carry the extra pound costs me nothing. :-P