PDA

View Full Version : re-packing PB and nutella

T Hutch
03-02-2012, 17:48
I'm sure it has been talked about, but any suggestions on repacking PB and nutella?

HiKen2011
03-02-2012, 17:53
I'm sure it has been talked about, but any suggestions on repacking PB and nutella?

To messy, use the empty containers to store your trash. No smell.

T Hutch
03-02-2012, 17:55
cool, i figured it was a lot of work but thought id ask.

HiKen2011
03-02-2012, 17:59
Someone else may have a better suggestion but I just use the origonal container, less hassle. Have a great trip!

HiKen2011
03-02-2012, 18:00
Oops, original.

RWheeler
03-02-2012, 18:06
If you want to repackage because you don't need as much, then there are also "individual serving" pouches of PB, or Chocolate and PB, or a honey option. But if you're taking the full amount, just take the whole jar. Dig into it with a spoon :D

JAK
03-02-2012, 18:16
My suggestion is to use the container it comes in and use the extra as your extra day or two of emergency rations.

trippclark
03-02-2012, 18:31

I have used these:

http://tinyurl.com/7fjksct

to repackage peanut butter into squeeze tubes. This works, but honestly, lately I have instead just used the individual serving containers for convenience. like these:

http://www.jif.com/Products/Details?categoryId=276

or

http://www.minimus.biz/Nutella-Hazelnut-Spread-F06-0342901-3100.aspx

chiefiepoo
03-02-2012, 20:30
I'd stay with small original containers. Chunky style PB clogs easily in the squeeze tubes and you wind up undoing the roll over clasp and making a mess anyway.

Juice
03-02-2012, 20:50
I always liked to mix a ratio of 2/3 PB or Almond butter to 1/3 Nutella, but when I carry these I'll probably just carry both and make the mix one spoonful at a time.

Six-Six
03-02-2012, 21:09
I bought four boxes of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Barney-Butter-Almond-Calorie-0-6-Ounce/dp/B001P22GHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326229982&sr=8-2

Zipper
03-02-2012, 22:28
Both Nutella and PB come in single serving sizes. I packaged Nutella in ziplocs because I was too weight-conscious to carry the whole jar, and I don't think the single servings were available yet. I would just double bag it, then tear off a corner and squeeze out what I wanted, then put the torn bag back in the second ziploc bag. But I'd agree that if weight isn't an issue, it's just as easy to carry a whole jar. People your age on the trail seemed to be going through vast quantities of this type of stuff extremely quickly and had no trouble carrying it. Jars of frosting were popular too.

Papa D
03-03-2012, 01:07
single serving sizes are so wasteful from a packaging standpoint - just re-use the damn container - duhh

Spokes
03-03-2012, 07:19
Single serving PB? lol

By the end of my thru hike I was going through 2 jars a week!

moytoy
03-03-2012, 07:32
Single serving PB? lol

By the end of my thru hike I was going through 2 jars a week!
+1 on that.. A 16 oz. jar will last me 4 days.

Texico
03-08-2012, 02:04
That plastic jar doesn't really weigh THAT much considering the amount of PB it holds, too. I'll carry it on my thru (in about a week).

MedicineWoman2012
03-08-2012, 14:28
I have been making my own nutella outta cocoa and peanut butter then putting into small baking soda cans adding pretzel sticks to dip in them. I can see myself using this food up before I ever get off the train. I bet Nestle Quick doesnt intend on their cocoa being used this way but I had atleast five extra jars in the house from my sons hiking with me. I agree with the extra crunchy being a pain to mix and squeeze from tubes-ziploc bags.

Deer Hunter
08-24-2014, 17:19
Looks like the price is going up.

http://news.yahoo.com/nut-price-surge-could-leave-nutella-lovers-shelling-044219793.html

Odd Man Out
08-24-2014, 17:51
If you're going through a 16 oz jar every 4 days, then taking a full jar makes sense. For my section hike, I really didn't need that much so I took the Jif To Go packages. The Jif Natural came in these, which was nice. I did notice that when squished in my food bag on a hot summer day, the Jef To Go packages seemed to leak some peanut oil. I didn't find any had popped open and I didn't find any PB had leaked, but the little baggie I was keeping them in and the packages were all oily on the outside. So if you use these, packing them separately in a baggie might be a good idea. I do wish PB came in 8 oz jars. That would be ideal for my shorter trips.

Dogwood
08-24-2014, 18:15
Nutella will be going up in price for two reasons. The two main ingredients in it, cocoa beans that are used to make chocolate has risen nearly 20% this yr alone, not to mention the last couple of yr's increase, and, as you've pointed out through the link Deer Hunter, hazelnut/filbert production in the Middle East/Turkey fell off sharply this yr. This cost increase will be likened as a bump in the road compared to fruit prices should there be another honey bee die off as was experienced in the last few yrs as these are one of the main important fruit pollinators.

Getting back to this very old thread topic try repackaging PB, Nutella, jelly and other nut butters like (almond, cashew, macadmia, etc) and seed butters(Tahini(sesame seed paste) into squeeze tubes such as made be GOTOOB that are made in various sizes, multi unit packages, and single sized) or Coghlans squeeze tubes. GOTUBES can be used for toiletries as well. They are easy to fill, dispense, and clean, BPA FREE and the caps stay on well but I still place in a snack baggie to be safe. I regularly repackage these foods into GOTOOBS to take to the trail. 3 oz size is great. I wish they made them in about a 4 and 6 oz size though. I make my own energy gel from chia seed, Edward&Sons creamed coconut, almond/peanut butter, and maybe a packet of Mixed Berry Emergen-C or Goji Berry, Maca, or Macqui Powder(all super nutritious powders!) and put into a tube.

http://www.humangear.com/gotoob/

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/133109-gotoob-squeezable-travel-tube-set-of-3.html

OR

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-6960070016&mr:trackingCode=0839D626-F8FA-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=53280440440&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=79726184920&msid=BGSKanag_dc|pcrid|53280440440|

Oma-n-Opa
08-25-2014, 13:34
I buy some stuff called PB2. It's basically a big jar of dehydrated peanuts, so it's lightweight. You just add water (or some people add vegetable oil) to it, and it tastes just like regular peanut butter. Thirty tablespoons worth of it only weighs 6 ounces. They also make a peanut butter and chocolate version. you could leave it in the plastic jar, or put it, dry, in a ziploc. I get it at (gasp, the horror!) Wal-Mart, on the peanut butter aisle.

overthinker
09-01-2014, 23:32
I buy some stuff called PB2. It's basically a big jar of dehydrated peanuts, so it's lightweight. You just add water (or some people add vegetable oil) to it, and it tastes just like regular peanut butter. Thirty tablespoons worth of it only weighs 6 ounces. They also make a peanut butter and chocolate version. you could leave it in the plastic jar, or put it, dry, in a ziploc. I get it at (gasp, the horror!) Wal-Mart, on the peanut butter aisle.

I don't get the draw of this product - they take all the fat out of the peanut, which is more than half the reason I take nut butters in the first place.

10-K
09-02-2014, 06:28
I leave the stuff in the durn jar they come in.

1. The jar makes a great trash bag.
2. Cleaning squeeze tubes is a major PITA.

Old_Man
09-02-2014, 08:25
What if the best pnut butter comes in glass jars though? I can't stand jif or peter pan--Smuckers with the oil on top is the best imo. But carrying that glass container is a joke.

10-K
09-02-2014, 08:39
That's a 1st world problem for sure. :)

I prefer coffee brewed in my pot at home made with beans roasted by a friend - but......

Twogears
09-02-2014, 09:03
On my AT trip in 08 I simply kept re-using a small plastic jar. I would buy peanut butter and scoop it into my smaller container. Add honey and stir......

CalebJ
09-02-2014, 09:06
What did you do with the peanut butter that didn't fit into the small jar?

Twogears
09-02-2014, 09:10
Ate it in the motel room or simply discarded it.

10-K
09-02-2014, 09:12
What did you do with the peanut butter that didn't fit into the small jar?

Tossed it I bet.

I carry travel size toothpastes but they can be hard to find on long hikes because the stores you resupply at rarely have them. I buy the smallest size possible, take the top off, take the top off my empty travel toothpaste tube and hold them together tightly and squeeze - forcing toothpaste from the larger tube into my travel tube for a refill.

Whatever's left in the larger tube goes in the hiker box or I toss it in the trash.

CalebJ
09-02-2014, 09:16
I stopped carrying toothpaste when I realized that Dr. Bronner's soap worked (and tasted) just as well. Combination hand soap, body wash, and toothpaste, and an ounce or so will last quite a while.

10-K
09-02-2014, 09:22
I've been meaning to try out Dr. Bonners.

But.. did you know.... toothpaste really isn't necessary at all. Brushing with plain old water is just as good.

You can google it. As always there are about a zillion different opinions but the bottom line is going a few weeks (or months I guess) without it won't cause your teeth to rot out.

The big deal is flossing. Always floss, no matter what.

CalebJ
09-02-2014, 09:33
Yeah, I keep being reminded about the flossing bit. Somehow I never got into the habit. I probably do it about once a month. TMI, I suppose.

Dogwood
09-02-2014, 09:38
I stopped carrying toothpaste when I realized that Dr. Bronner's soap worked (and tasted) just as well. Combination hand soap, body wash, and toothpaste, and an ounce or so will last quite a while.
And laundry detergent, shampoo, and, with the Peppermint, also a deodorant and with a refreshing pick me up natural aroomah. :)

Dogwood
09-02-2014, 09:39
Floss and a needle also doubles as my emergency sewing repair kit.

RED-DOG
09-02-2014, 10:34
What I do is, I take a medium jar of PB and a small jar of Nutella and then mix the two and I might add M&M's and whatever else seems good, then repackage in a large PB jar and then put in a Zip-Lock bag, this usually lasts me 4-5 days or two weekend hikes.

Twogears
09-02-2014, 12:49
I have started brushing with toothpaste drops that I dehydrate myself. If nothing else, they help with foul smelling breath. This allows me to carry exactly how much I need with no guess work. Two drops per day. I use a bounce box for extended trips so re-supplying is not an issue.

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2014, 13:29
Why would i repackage peanut butter? A 16oz jar only last me about 5 days on the trail. :sun

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2014, 13:33
What if the best pnut butter comes in glass jars though? I can't stand jif or peter pan--Smuckers with the oil on top is the best imo. But carrying that glass container is a joke.
I have the same problem, I prefer real 100% peanut butter, but i lower my expectations when I hike. I've found a few okay brands in plastic containers at Walmart and grocery stores that still have non-hydrogenated vegetable oil and other nonsense in them but less garbage than jiff or peter pan. I'll buy these if i need to when resupplying.

Ktaadn
09-02-2014, 14:45
I recommend Peanut Butter & Co.

It tastes great, is shelf stable, and are all-natural. You can find them at a lot of different grocery stores now. I've only had Mighty Maple and Dark Chocolate Dreams but I'd imagine the other flavors are pretty good too.

https://ilovepeanutbutter.com/peanut-butter-1.html

Old_Man
09-03-2014, 14:54
I like the idea of premixing some high quality pb and nutella together in a big plastic jar (and throwing in m&ms and extra nuts for good measure) and then mail dropping a couple of those bad boys strategically along the trail.

And then just sucking down that hydrogenated crap in between mail drops. I pretty much live on peanut butter off the trail so I'm planning on it being a HUGE part of my trail diet.

RED-DOG
09-03-2014, 15:30
I like the idea of premixing some high quality pb and nutella together in a big plastic jar (and throwing in m&ms and extra nuts for good measure) and then mail dropping a couple of those bad boys strategically along the trail.

And then just sucking down that hydrogenated crap in between mail drops. I pretty much live on peanut butter off the trail so I'm planning on it being a HUGE part of my trail diet.
The reason I mix the two is that I can't stand plan PB so I started mixing and it really is pretty tasty, and it's not hard to mix on the trail, I usually will make a batch at each resupply stop.

Obiwan
06-10-2015, 18:15
I use the MRE pouches of PB, Chocolate PB, and the jalapeno cheese spread

MuddyWaters
06-10-2015, 19:57
PB is best just eaten from the jar with a spoon.
Its the cheapest, and the little packets are more trouble and trash than they are worth.