PDA

View Full Version : Hiking The AT over Summer

tenn_hiker
03-02-2012, 17:54
Alright, first off i know this is going to get a lot of negative comments but who cares. i have been planning a trip to section hike the AT over summer, but then i started thinking, what if i could do the whole thing over summer break? A thru hike doesn't technically have to from end to end, and i will already have done maybe 200 miles this year so i could just skip that section. The more i thought about it the more i wanted to do it.. i figured i would have to average about 33.2 miles a day to finish in 60 days. I will HAVE to throw in some zero days some where in there or i know there is no way i could do it.. I fully believe, with the shape i'm in, if i start out slow the first week or so i could make it, or get very close, and then finish the trail before the end of the year.

I just want to know what some of you guys think.. I fully expect a lot of comments saying "There's no way" or "you're stupid" or something like that.
Either way, let me know what you think.
Thanks,

Tenn_hiker

brian039
03-02-2012, 18:01
If you end up having to skip a section then I'd say skip a chunk in the Mid-Atlantic somewhere between Front Royal and the Connecticut state line. I'd at least want to hike the nice sections in the South and New England if I wouldn't be able to do the whole thing and this would allow you to hike a more reasonable pace.

Good luck whatever you do!

hikerboy57
03-02-2012, 18:03
theres no way. you're stupid.:)
anything is possible, but its a very ambitious goal. why not just get started doing it and you'll know within the first 3 weeks if you can sustain the pace?it kinda depends on what you're hitting the trail for, and remember , if its raining, youre still hiking.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

tenn_hiker
03-02-2012, 18:10
theres no way. you're stupid.:)
anything is possible, but its a very ambitious goal. why not just get started doing it and you'll know within the first 3 weeks if you can sustain the pace?it kinda depends on what you're hitting the trail for, and remember , if its raining, youre still hiking.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Yeah, I know it's pretty ambitious. I love a challenge! But yeah, i'd say there's no way to really know if i could do it until I'm actually do it. I actually just figured out I might have a little bit more time than i expected, so it's starting to sound plausible.

If you end up having to skip a section then I'd say skip a chunk in the Mid-Atlantic somewhere between Front Royal and the Connecticut state line. I'd at least want to hike the nice sections in the South and New England if I wouldn't be able to do the whole thing and this would allow you to hike a more reasonable pace.

Good luck whatever you do!
I'll defiantly keep that in mind, i hope to do as much as i can but i won't know how much i can do till i get out there! Thanks for the advice!

Slo-go'en
03-02-2012, 19:26
I suppose you can try. Just don't hurt yourself by trying to go too fast too soon or it will be a really short trip.

tenn_hiker
03-02-2012, 20:23
I suppose you can try. Just don't hurt yourself by trying to go too fast too soon or it will be a really short trip.
Yeah, I know what you mean

jersey joe
03-02-2012, 20:55
One advantage to hiking in the summer is that you will have a few more hours of daylight each day to hike in.

gunner76
03-02-2012, 20:55
Give it a try. The worst thing that might happen is you can't keep up that pace. At least you will still have an adventure

kolokolo
03-02-2012, 22:33
I think it will be important to start slow, as you said, so that you don't get injured and knock yourself off of the trail early.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2012, 22:50
Don't know about your goal of thru hiking that quickly, but 60 days on the trail is still 60 days on the trail. Go for it and have fun!

Biggie Master
03-02-2012, 23:11
Well, one thing is certain. If you're ever going to be able to do that many miles, day after day for 60 days -- it's while you're young! I believe you've got a good shot on the physical part (assuming you don't try to carry a 60# pack), but the psychological aspect will be the most challenging.

tenn_hiker
03-03-2012, 09:48
One advantage to hiking in the summer is that you will have a few more hours of daylight each day to hike in.

Very good point.

Well, one thing is certain. If you're ever going to be able to do that many miles, day after day for 60 days -- it's while you're young! I believe you've got a good shot on the physical part (assuming you don't try to carry a 60# pack), but the psychological aspect will be the most challenging.

NOT GOING TO BE CARRYING A 60# PACK! haha. I'm trying to get my pack weight down as much as possible.

Hooch
03-03-2012, 09:55
I'll agree with others. Make it or not, 60 days on the trail is 60 day son the trail. Go forth and hike, young man. Enjoy.

Oh, before you claim the title of "Teufel Hunden", make sure you've earned it. Just sayin'.

moldy
03-03-2012, 10:52
Kid, you will shoot your eye out. I was 17 once. I thought I could hitch hike to Alaska and climb Mt McKinley then hitch hike back home all in one Summer. I say give it a go and see what happens. If you can make it to Harpers Ferry you will be doing good.

tenn_hiker
03-03-2012, 11:08
I'll agree with others. Make it or not, 60 days on the trail is 60 day son the trail. Go forth and hike, young man. Enjoy.

Oh, before you claim the title of "Teufel Hunden", make sure you've earned it. Just sayin'.
I agree with you completely on that! i set my signature as that one day and i can't remember how to change it.. but i will earn it soon enough. I can't wait. were you in the Corps?

tenn_hiker
03-03-2012, 11:13
Kid, you will shoot your eye out. I was 17 once. I thought I could hitch hike to Alaska and climb Mt McKinley then hitch hike back home all in one Summer. I say give it a go and see what happens. If you can make it to Harpers Ferry you will be doing good.

I'm defiantly going to try it. I've wanted to thru hike the trail since i found out about it. I want to do it before i join the Marine Corps, so if i do it over the summer i wont have to wait a year, or two before I join that is another thing that will help motivate me. But whatever happens i'll come back to this thread and let you guys know how it went.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2012, 11:16
Parris Island is fun

tenn_hiker
03-03-2012, 11:44
I can't wait, I've started doing PT with my recruiter and it just makes me want to go already. I can't wait till i'm able to claim that title of United States Marine.

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2012, 12:28
Why not start at Katahdin and hike SOBO and just hike until you have to stop without worrying about a schedule and pressure to make "x" number of miles? Summer is the perfect time to hike in New England (cooler than the south and mid-Atlantic) and with 60 days you're pretty much guaranteed to get in at least ME, NH, and VT. Not saying New England is necessarily better than all the other sections of the trail (being polite here), but a lot of members would probably agree that given 60 days in the dead of summer it's the section they would most want to hike.

mcrainbow
03-03-2012, 12:32
Picked out a MOS yet?

tenn_hiker
03-03-2012, 13:19
Why not start at Katahdin and hike SOBO and just hike until you have to stop without worrying about a schedule and pressure to make "x" number of miles? Summer is the perfect time to hike in New England (cooler than the south and mid-Atlantic) and with 60 days you're pretty much guaranteed to get in at least ME, NH, and VT. Not saying New England is necessarily better than all the other sections of the trail (being polite here), but a lot of members would probably agree that given 60 days in the dead of summer it's the section they would most want to hike.

I will be going SOBO from Katahdin

tenn_hiker
03-03-2012, 13:20
Picked out a MOS yet?

I haven't officially filled out my job request form yet, but i want infantry or MP

flemdawg1
03-03-2012, 22:26
go ahead and walk 60 miles next weekend. Then come back and give us an update about your plan.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2012, 22:32
go ahead and walk 60 miles next weekend. Then come back and give us an update about your plan.hahahaha that's awesome! :)

Lone Wolf
03-03-2012, 22:34
Alright, first off i know this is going to get a lot of negative comments but who cares. i have been planning a trip to section hike the AT over summer, but then i started thinking, what if i could do the whole thing over summer break? A thru hike doesn't technically have to from end to end, and i will already have done maybe 200 miles this year so i could just skip that section. The more i thought about it the more i wanted to do it.. i figured i would have to average about 33.2 miles a day to finish in 60 days. I will HAVE to throw in some zero days some where in there or i know there is no way i could do it.. I fully believe, with the shape i'm in, if i start out slow the first week or so i could make it, or get very close, and then finish the trail before the end of the year.

I just want to know what some of you guys think.. I fully expect a lot of comments saying "There's no way" or "you're stupid" or something like that.
Thanks,

Tenn_hiker

and by the way, your hike ain't happenin' as described. just sayin" :)

Feral Bill
03-03-2012, 22:54
I haven't officially filled out my job request form yet, but i want infantry or MP
If you have not signed papers yet, don't until you have a guaranteed school with a civilian application. You can thank me later.

Hooch
03-03-2012, 23:09
If you have not signed papers yet, don't until you have a guaranteed school with a civilian application.Something wrong with infantry? Leadership always has a civilian application. But then again, leadership in the Marine Corps isn't limited to the grunts.

gunner76
03-03-2012, 23:15
Boot camp is more a mental thing than a physical thing. Nothing wrong with being a grunt or MP and all Marines are rifle men when the sh** hit the fan.

CWO3 Ret USMC

Hooch
03-03-2012, 23:20
Boot camp is more a mental thing than a physical thing. Nothing wrong with being a grunt or MP and all Marines are rifle men when the sh** hit the fan.

CWO3 Ret USMCOoh-rah, Gunner!

SGT, USMC 1987-1993

Feral Bill
03-03-2012, 23:22
One of the most valuable things a person can get from the military is to be paid for getting quality vocational training. I know a couple of ex students who were trained as MPs and are in good law enforcement jobs right now. And, as Gunner_76 says, all marines are trained as riflemen as well. It would be foolish to miss the opportunity.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2012, 23:29
Marines with a capital M

TOMP
03-04-2012, 00:52
Alright, first off i know this is going to get a lot of negative comments but who cares. I just want to know what some of you guys think.. I fully expect a lot of comments saying "There's no way" or "you're stupid" or something like that.
Thanks,

Tenn_hiker

Well do you want the truth or do you want someone to agree with you? First exactly how long is your summer break, if it is 3 months and you can hike 20 miles or more a day then I guess its possible. 60 days is pushing toward the record holders so I wouldnt attempt unless you are a really fast hiker. But it depends alot on you and your physical abilities. People have done the trail super quick so its possible but do you think you are able to be one of them?

Also how is your hiking support and do you blue blaze or slackpack? These are going to be key factors on your speed. Also a thru-hike is supposed to be end to end and purists dont count blue blazers and slackpackers. You can be a 2000 miler or a 2182 miler but if its not end to end its not a thru-hike, if it matters to you (not saying it should).

At the end of the day is it worth it do hike the majority of the AT in 60 days. If this is the experience you are looking for then enjoy, but you might end up not being able to see the forest through the trees at that pace. A 1000 mile section hike might be more rewarding.

Feral Bill
03-04-2012, 01:06
Marines with a capital M apologies ...

Lone Wolf
03-04-2012, 03:24
apologies ...

:)...........

P-Train
03-04-2012, 09:31
I grew up in Strawberry Plains.

Go Vols.
Go Hikin'

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 11:11
Alright, first off i know this is going to get a lot of negative comments but who cares. I just want to know what some of you guys think.. I fully expect a lot of comments saying "There's no way" or "you're stupid" or something like that.
Thanks,

Tenn_hiker

Well do you want the truth or do you want someone to agree with you? First exactly how long is your summer break, if it is 3 months and you can hike 20 miles or more a day then I guess its possible. 60 days is pushing toward the record holders so I wouldnt attempt unless you are a really fast hiker. But it depends alot on you and your physical abilities. People have done the trail super quick so its possible but do you think you are able to be one of them?

Also how is your hiking support and do you blue blaze or slackpack? These are going to be key factors on your speed. Also a thru-hike is supposed to be end to end and purists dont count blue blazers and slackpackers. You can be a 2000 miler or a 2182 miler but if its not end to end its not a thru-hike, if it matters to you (not saying it should).

At the end of the day is it worth it do hike the majority of the AT in 60 days. If this is the experience you are looking for then enjoy, but you might end up not being able to see the forest through the trees at that pace. A 1000 mile section hike might be more rewarding.

If you finish the whole trail in a single year it is considered a thru hike. It does not have to be from end to end, and i will probably have closer to 3 months now.

bigcranky
03-04-2012, 11:11
You have a couple of things in your favor: long days, so you can hike many more hours per day, and warm weather, so you don't need to carry much stuff in your pack. As the others have said, start slow. Even when you are trying for the 30+ mile days, you can hike 12-15 hours per day, so it's not speed-hiking. More like the turtle and the hare - move at a reasonable pace and don't ever stop.

Good luck in the Marines. Nothing wrong with being a grunt, though I expect that infantry officers have a much easier time getting a civilian job with the "leadership" thing on their resume than do enlisted folks. MP, Engineer, Intel, all exciting careers in the Corps and outside. And every Marine is a rifleman first.

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 11:40
You have a couple of things in your favor: long days, so you can hike many more hours per day, and warm weather, so you don't need to carry much stuff in your pack. As the others have said, start slow. Even when you are trying for the 30+ mile days, you can hike 12-15 hours per day, so it's not speed-hiking. More like the turtle and the hare - move at a reasonable pace and don't ever stop.

Good luck in the Marines. Nothing wrong with being a grunt, though I expect that infantry officers have a much easier time getting a civilian job with the "leadership" thing on their resume than do enlisted folks. MP, Engineer, Intel, all exciting careers in the Corps and outside. And every Marine is a rifleman first.

Thank you, i'm wanting to become an officer but who knows what will actually happen

bhchdh
03-04-2012, 13:12
Hike on McDuff, and damned be he who says " hold enough."

Papa D
03-04-2012, 13:21

Good post - who cares where you are in August - you will have done a whole heckuva lot of the trail. I went southbound starting in early June and finished at the end of October - I was in really good 18 year old shape too - and you are thinking of doing it 2 MONTHS faster - doubt it's going to happen my friend. If you decide to SOBO, don't set a goal like 4EB says but you could sort of think about getting all the way to Harpers Ferry, WVA - that would be BIG miles there - averaging over 20 miles per day for about 53 days - take 3 zeros and 4 travel days (60 days total) - that would be a LOT. You've already done 200 miles, right - you would only have about 700 miles to fill in over the next few summers.

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 13:30
Good post - who cares where you are in August - you will have done a whole heckuva lot of the trail. I went southbound starting in early June and finished at the end of October - I was in really good 18 year old shape too - and you are thinking of doing it 2 MONTHS faster - doubt it's going to happen my friend. If you decide to SOBO, don't set a goal like 4EB says but you could sort of think about getting all the way to Harpers Ferry, WVA - that would be BIG miles there - averaging over 20 miles per day for about 53 days - take 3 zeros and 4 travel days (60 days total) - that would be a LOT. You've already done 200 miles, right - you would only have about 700 miles to fill in over the next few summers.

Yeah, well this is my last summer before i go to basic, but it's not like i'm going to be super upset if i don't finish, but i mean if after the first 2 or 3 weeks i think i can make it then i'm going to go for it. Also, I'm thinking i'm going to have closer to 3 months now. So that will lower my MPD if i want to finish the whole thing. Another reason i want to do it is to prove everyone that says i can't do it wrong. I would like to spend 6 months on the trail, but then again i would like to go to Parris Island soon after i graduate high school.

Hooch
03-04-2012, 13:38
Yeah, well this is my last summer before i go to basic, but it's not like i'm going to be super upset if i don't finish, but i mean if after the first 2 or 3 weeks i think i can make it then i'm going to go for it. Also, I'm thinking i'm going to have closer to 3 months now. So that will lower my MPD if i want to finish the whole thing. Another reason i want to do it is to prove everyone that says i can't do it wrong. I would like to spend 6 months on the trail, but then again i would like to go to Parris Island soon after i graduate high school.Half the trail this year, half the trail next year. Time off to recouperate, then head to Parris Island after the summer heat is gone.

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 14:02
Half the trail this year, half the trail next year. Time off to recouperate, then head to Parris Island after the summer heat is gone.

That is something to think about.. Thanks for the idea!

ScottP
03-04-2012, 14:07
You'd have to be both an exceptional athlete and an experienced UL backpacker to finish the AT in under 2 months. If you have 3 months that's more reasonable provided you hit the trail in shape with a light pack and have no major setbacks.

Hikemor
03-04-2012, 15:11
What's the rush? A 60 day/30 MPD hike is likely to end quickly. You should consider a "normal" 5-6 month hike and then worry about the MC. PI in winter is heaps better than the summer.

If your goal is to be an officer, and you have the academic and financial abilities, I suggest college and then OCS or NROTC (I assume there is a MC option) are better options. Keep in mind that your recruiter does not necessarily have your best interests at heart.

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 15:27
What's the rush? A 60 day/30 MPD hike is likely to end quickly. You should consider a "normal" 5-6 month hike and then worry about the MC. PI in winter is heaps better than the summer.

If your goal is to be an officer, and you have the academic and financial abilities, I suggest college and then OCS or NROTC (I assume there is a MC option) are better options. Keep in mind that your recruiter does not necessarily have your best interests at heart.

I don't want to go straight into being an officer, i want to be a grunt for a few years that way i have some experience before i go and lead people

Hooch
03-04-2012, 16:04
. . . .If your goal is to be an officer, and you have the academic and financial abilities, I suggest college and then OCS or NROTC (I assume there is a MC option). . . .Still have to go through OCS.

I don't want to go straight into being an officer, i want to be a grunt for a few years that way i have some experience before i go and lead people ECP (http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/commissioning_programs/enlisted_to_officer). A friend I went through radio operator school with completed this program and is commanding officer of an battalion sized unit now. Not too far from picking up his bird.

Hooch
03-04-2012, 16:05
Or MECEP. My friend was commissioned through MECEP.

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 16:41
Still have to go through OCS.

ECP (http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/commissioning_programs/enlisted_to_officer). A friend I went through radio operator school with completed this program and is commanding officer of an battalion sized unit now. Not too far from picking up his bird.
I know i still have to go through OCS, but i'm just saying i don't want to go in as an officer. I want to enlist in the infantry for a while so i know what i'm asking people to do when i'm leading them. I know while I'm in i'll have to respect all higher ranks but I would think less of an officer if he has never had any experience

msupple
03-04-2012, 16:48
I can't wait, I've started doing PT with my recruiter and it just makes me want to go already. I can't wait till i'm able to claim that title of United States Marine.

It's a title that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Trust me. And Lone Wolf is correct...Parris Island is a blast! He He :)

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 16:50
2187miles - 182.5miles= 2004.5miles

2004.5miles/85days=23.6mpd

so if i do 24mpd i could have about 5 or 6 off days

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 16:50
It's a title that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Trust me. And Lone Wolf is correct...Parris Island is a blast! He He :)

haha, by a blast do you mean a pain in the ass? or is it really fun? haha

msupple
03-04-2012, 17:04
haha, by a blast do you mean a pain in the ass? or is it really fun? haha

To be honest....I'd have to say both. Some of the funniest one liners I've ever heard came out of the mouths of my DIs, but at the same time they can and will make your life a living hell. :) I'll leave you with one tip....don't EVER laugh at their jokes. You'll understand once you're there.:) I recall one of the first things they had us do was write the "can't" on a piece of paper....crumple it in our hands...place it on the ground and stomp on it for about five minutes. We were then told....that word is no longer in your vocabulary! And they meant it as we later learned. Marine Corps boot camp is is a VERY unique experience....one that will change your life. Best of luck to you.

tenn_hiker
03-04-2012, 17:23
To be honest....I'd have to say both. Some of the funniest one liners I've ever heard came out of the mouths of my DIs, but at the same time they can and will make your life a living hell. :) I'll leave you with one tip....don't EVER laugh at their jokes. You'll understand once you're there.:) I recall one of the first things they had us do was write the "can't" on a piece of paper....crumple it in our hands...place it on the ground and stomp on it for about five minutes. We were then told....that word is no longer in your vocabulary! And they meant it as we later learned. Marine Corps boot camp is is a VERY unique experience....one that will change your life. Best of luck to you.

Well, thanks for that tip haha. I can't wait to go!