PDA

View Full Version : straps on trekking poles

ekeverette
03-02-2012, 18:38
quick question about the straps on my new hiking poles. would it be a good idea to cut these things off? seems like they would be aggravating after awhile.

Monkeywrench
03-02-2012, 18:46
Heck no! The straps on your trekking poles serve a purpose. Put your hand through from the bottom, like a ski pole. Then as you walk you only need to keep a light grip on the handle of your trekking pole, just enough to guide and control it. As you push off, simply lean into the strap with your wrist.

moocow
03-02-2012, 18:47
i had the same problem. i was ready to rip them off. they were rubbing the webbing between my thumb and fingers raw and causing blisters. i eventually had to put duct tape in the webbing. then i learned that i was just using the straps wrong. someone back me up on this, but apparently they should be tightened down just enough to let your fist through and then keep them holding your wrist the entire time. the idea being that the the pressure of leaning the wrists into straps is the thing thats suppose to support your weight when you use them. its not about gripping the handles as hard as you can and pushing down at all. once i got this in my head, tightened the straps, and practiced a little bit, the irritation on my hands went away.

Drybones
03-02-2012, 18:48
I'm asking myself the same question. I never use them so I dont know why I shouldn't cut them off.

RWheeler
03-02-2012, 18:52
If you use them right, they make trekking poles infinitely more useful. The straps will carry your weight, just make sure they're around your wrist!

springerfever
03-02-2012, 19:14
I had a pair of Leki's with the straps and used the straps till I nearly took a bad tumble with the basket lodging itself between a couple of rocks. Nearly jerked my arm off !! After that incident I just rested my hands over the straps and I actually preferred that method. Very easy to release the pole if it becomes caught. Ended up selling those poles and replacing them with REI Peak Ultralite (carbonfiber) and removed the straps altogether. I did a modification to the top of both poles so they can be used as a camera monopod and tarp supports.

Elder
03-02-2012, 20:02
Cutting off the straps is as smart as removing your shoestrings.
Good straps are part of good poles..used correctly.

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 20:28
I prefer a staff but have poles as well,and I always use the straps.When you get them dialed in(adjusted proper)they are effortless to use and make bringing them forward a breeze,I don't stick my whole hand through,just the first four fingers no thumb.And yes duck tape in the web of thumb and fore finger helps until your web toughens up.

springerfever
03-02-2012, 21:35
Hyoh......

cutting off the straps is as smart as removing your shoestrings.
Good straps are part of good poles..used correctly.

Sierra Echo
03-02-2012, 23:48
Hyoh......

But you should always take the time to listen to good advice.

bflorac
03-03-2012, 02:10
1) Even use incorrectly, the strap keep the pole attached to you hand so when you fall, and sooner or later you will, the poles will be with you. And if you are lucky enough, prevent you from falling further.
2) You will find the straps will help relax your hands. The straps will cradle the bottom of your wrist so you can get pressure down even without gripping the cork.
3 When going down, if you have the strap set correctly, you can flip the poles with a flick of your wrist so the top of the pole is in the palm of your. This is ideal for keeping you from tumbling downhill or stepping down a series of rocks.

peakbagger
03-03-2012, 07:03
I understand the concept of using strap for poles but find that with the exception of some marginal improvement during steep uphill sections where i have to break my hiking pace and switch to a uphill gait, the rest of the time I see that the downside of using strap is far less than the upside. Straps are great for cross country skiing and considering that most poles are dual use, I guess thats why they include them. The downside for using straps is that if you do trip or stumble with the straps are on there is a good chance that the poles will get in the way and potentially cause a worse fall and more injury.

If I am on the flat and level or on a well switchbacked of sidehilled up hill, I find that the poles slow me down once I get into condition after a few days. At that point I just carry them. After awhile it becomes automatic. When I go down hill, I end up "palming" the poles where I am reaching down and placing the pole and running my palm up over the top of the shaft. When going uphill in steep bony stuff, the likelyhood of stumbling is always there and I really dont want a strap attaching the pole to my hand. I do feel the benefits of using poles on these steep uphills and on steep downhills make them worth carrying, but on many trips down south where the trails are a lot gentler with lots of sidehill and long switchbacks, I would on occasion stash the poles in the pack. Rarely will I ever leave poles home up in northern New England except when going out bushwhacking or doing corridor maintenance.

moytoy
03-03-2012, 07:22
If your using them correctly I can't imagine why you would want to cut them off.

Big Dawg
03-03-2012, 07:26
agree w/ keeping straps and using properly, as described!

ekeverette
03-03-2012, 08:22
good illustration moytoy.... thankyou.

Furlough
03-03-2012, 08:38
Not sure what brand you have, but the link below will take you to a Leki site with some how to videos, one shows how to properly adjust the straps.

http://www.leki.com/trekking/videos.php

Furlough

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2012, 09:42
I did remove them - But pulled the pin so I could put them back. I just wasn't using them. I replaced them with a small loop of Zip Ties, so I still Carbiner the top to the pack... Then drilled one and glued a Aluminum bolt thru the top... Got a Mono Pod!

Rocket Jones
03-03-2012, 09:47
Or you can get Pacer Poles. They don't have a strap, just a small loop to hold them upright if you let one go. The grip is incredibly intuitive and comfortable.

Bronk
03-04-2012, 03:43
In 2002 a guy named Two Scoops fell off the trail near Clingman's Dome and dislocated his shoulder. He had to abandon his pack and walk into Newfound Gap and hitch a ride to a hospital. He claimed the reason he was hurt was that his hands were stuck in the straps of his poles and he wasn't able to catch himself or properly brace himself for the fall.

Sandy of PA
03-04-2012, 19:51
I found the straps abraided my wrists when wet, they got removed! And yes I watched the video, I was using them correctly.

Terry7
03-04-2012, 20:32
I have had 2 pair of Leki poles and always remove the straps. Its just how I like it and I know they are there for a reason. What I wanted to say was every year I run into the Leki rep in Hot Springs and He always gets on my case for removing them. The first couple of years it kinda of ticked me off , now i just think its funny and I hope to see him again this year. :)

Lyle
03-04-2012, 21:05
Or you can get Pacer Poles. They don't have a strap, just a small loop to hold them upright if you let one go. The grip is incredibly intuitive and comfortable.

+1

PacerPoles are unique and exceedingly comfortable to use.

mikec
03-04-2012, 22:03
The first time that you fall into a raging creek/stream/river in New England, you will be glad that you have straps on your poles. If you didn't, there's a good chance that they would float away.

bflorac
03-05-2012, 00:36
I wear my Leki straps loose. Loose enough that if I press down on my wrist, my hand grabs the bottom have of the grip. If find this a good alternative. Then, when I need full power I grab the entire grip and the straps are loose around my wrist. It also means I can just roll my wrist and go to a "palm on top", downhill, mode. I have taken a few spills and with the loose straps the poles have just flopped out of the way while staying attached. Not all poles have straps long enough for this so one might want to try a few different options.

AdventureBuddies
03-05-2012, 16:08
Straps (when used correctly) are what enable your upper body muscles to engage, VERSUS the fragile joints in your hand. Tension in the hand can aggravate wrists, elbows and forearms.

Here's a video tutorial. (http://adventurebuddies.net/blog/2010/08/leki-poles-how-to-adjust-use-straps/) For relief, wear simple bike gloves.

ekeverette
03-05-2012, 16:50
thank you for the video....

Snowleopard
03-05-2012, 18:07
Adventurebuddies' video and moytoy's picture show the right way to use the straps, usually.
When you're generating real force this is the way to do it; it reduces strain on your hands and wrists. Cross country skiers do it this way. It's instructive to watch video of cross skiers.

If you're using them for balance in rock hopping it doesn't matter as much. Crossing a stream on rocks where the pole might get stuck, I wouldn't use the straps -- better to lose the pole than to fall badly.

I read the journal of one older thru-hiker with bad knees who had to use poles to assist him going up hills. He ended up leaving the trail because of hand/wrist problems caused by using the poles incorrectly.

beakerman
03-05-2012, 18:29
I put my 4 fingers and palm into my strap. I don't put it around my wrist. This gives me the ability to still use my fingers and hands, keep my pole or let it go with out it locking on my hand and giving me a bad jerk. I use the strap that way so I can lean heavy on my pole and not have to have the kungfu death grip. It also gives me enough room to palm the top of the pole on real steep or tricky stuff.

lush242000
03-05-2012, 18:30
quick question about the straps on my new hiking poles. would it be a good idea to cut these things off? seems like they would be aggravating after awhile.

I cut mine off because I don't use them. I do the same with my ski poles. After I broke my thumb many years ago because I fell skiing with the pole strapped on....they are history.