PDA

View Full Version : Spirits!

moocow
03-02-2012, 18:39
i have quite a few miles on my back but a couple of weeks ago i got my first taste of the AT. and one thing that i noticed was that everyone seemed to have a nip of something! at night flasks would be passed around in order to wind down. in the morning flasks would be brought out again to give a little boost for the day. everyone had something but me. i'm more curious than anything else. is this the typical thru-hiker experience?

i thought that maybe it was an AT thing since the AT is a social creature, but then i watched a documentary on the CDT. i don't remember the name but it involved a british duo - one of them went by the name cookie. either way, they carried entire .750 and full liter bottles with them the entire way!

so maybe its a long distance hiking thing?
don't people worry about getting fined for drinking in public or doing so on public lands?
is this a quirk of long distance backpacking that i had no clue about and i'm missing out on?
what makes it so attractive?

JAK
03-02-2012, 18:45
discretion usually goes a long way with the law when it comes to alcohol
there are usually enough drunken fools running interference for the rest of us
failing that, you just have to step up and be the idiot yourself now and then

Many Moons
03-02-2012, 18:49
Not sure about everyone else since I'm a beginner. I plan on having blueberry shine!

lunchbx
03-02-2012, 19:02
if you run into rangers on the trail, which i have once or twice they are usually looking for illegal substances that are non alcoholic. I dont think any law enforcement official is gonna mind if you have a tiny flask with you and are not causing any trouble to anyone.

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 19:06
i have quite a few miles on my back but a couple of weeks ago i got my first taste of the AT. and one thing that i noticed was that everyone seemed to have a nip of something! at night flasks would be passed around in order to wind down. in the morning flasks would be brought out again to give a little boost for the day. everyone had something but me. i'm more curious than anything else. is this the typical thru-hiker experience?

i thought that maybe it was an AT thing since the AT is a social creature, but then i watched a documentary on the CDT. i don't remember the name but it involved a british duo - one of them went by the name cookie. either way, they carried entire .750 and full liter bottles with them the entire way!

so maybe its a long distance hiking thing?
don't people worry about getting fined for drinking in public or doing so on public lands?
is this a quirk of long distance backpacking that i had no clue about and i'm missing out on?
what makes it so attractive?Nothing wrong with a little bubbly,snort,shot,a bit of the alright,top of the mourning,rise and shine,mountain dew,Whisky,but not all of us drink.....anymore.;)

Slo-go'en
03-02-2012, 19:14
Or anythting else so long as your not blowing smoke in thier face :p

So long as you don't over do it, having a little something at the end of the day to ease the pain and to wind down is always nice. Having copious amounts of spirts seems to be more of a section/weekend hiker thing than with thru-hikers, except maybe in the early stages. It's not easy to get anything but beer along the AT until you get into Virginia, and only in the last 10 years or so has beer even been available in towns along the AT in NC and GA. They all used to be dry towns or counties.

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 19:20
Or anything else so long as your not blowing smoke in their face :p

So long as you don't over do it, having a little something at the end of the day to ease the pain and to wind down is always nice. Having copious amounts of spirits seems to be more of a section/weekend hiker thing than with thru-hikers, except maybe in the early stages. It's not easy to get anything but beer along the AT until you get into Virginia, and only in the last 10 years or so has beer even been available in towns along the AT in NC and GA. They all used to be dry towns or counties.You can always get "Shine"check with your Conciair(trail shuttler)them guys can get anything...don't forget to TIP.

Papa D
03-03-2012, 01:13
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

brian039
03-03-2012, 02:35
It's not just a hiking thing it's pretty much world-wide. And it's perfectly legal to drink on most of the trail, actually Fontana Dam is the only place I remember where it wasn't legal because of TVA laws. They sell beer at the Waysides in Shenandoah National Park and expect you to drink them at the picnic tables outside. As for what makes it attractive? A lot of people enjoy their alcohol and this just carries over to the trail. I prefer to hike out a few 24oz beers from a convenience store but whiskey has a better weight to alcohol content ratio for the longer stretches.

Mountain Mike
03-03-2012, 03:52
Since I got a few nips from an off duty ranger (on an overnighter) in the Smokies. I'd say no as long as you are discrete

Mrs Baggins
03-03-2012, 05:34
We each keep a little silver flask in our packs for that restorative wee dram.

Spokes
03-03-2012, 06:57
To some, the hip flask is akin to a paracord survival bracelet.

snorz
03-03-2012, 09:06
aaaaahhhhhhh At+crown royal ...perfect together!...In moderation of course.

T-Rx
03-03-2012, 09:30
Just pick your poison and enjoy it in moderation.

louisb
03-03-2012, 10:14
It is just for medicinal purposes.

--louis

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2012, 10:23
discretion usually goes a long way with the law when it comes to alcohol
there are usually enough drunken fools running interference for the rest of us
failing that, you just have to step up and be the idiot yourself now and then

Seriously Jak... In the first reply you are going to talk about the Law? Are we not adults here? 10+ years of MADD and Drink Responsibly, and DUI arrests beaten into our brains...

Hey - I know I am over the top on some issues.... Boy Scouts, Leashes, Moody.....I am.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2012, 10:24
Not sure about everyone else since I'm a beginner. I plan on having blueberry shine!

That I would add to my bucket list... Where can I get some?

Shovel
03-03-2012, 10:57
Well, I'm a single malt scotch man, myself. Nothing like a little 18 y.o. single malt just as the sun is going down. As long as you're discrete ........... no problem.

DLANOIE
03-03-2012, 12:42
When my father in law hiked Katahdin with me this year it was pouring buckets(post Irene weather). We enjoyed a couple sips of single malt at the summit. Im not a big drinker but it sure made the hike down more enjoyable considering we were soaked!

Good times, good times.

mirabela
03-03-2012, 13:21
In my experience it's neither the norm nor especially unusual ... but either way I'd say anyone with a pattern of starting the day with a shot of hard liquor ought to be asking themselves some hard questions about dependency.

Rasty
03-03-2012, 13:46

Also try blueberry port. Childress winery in Yadkin valley NC makes on that is really tasty. Only about 18% alcohol though.

wythekari
03-03-2012, 14:02
I don't think this is limited to the AT or long distance hikers at all. My experience out here in California is that at the end of a day hike or at the end of the day of trial work or backpacking it is common for spirits to come out. Easier to have a cooler of beer back at the car after a day hike but even deep in the woods I've seen a single beer come out of a pack and often something stronger that gets passed around. Maybe the most unusual thing I have encountered recently was homemade lemoncello. For those of who partake it adds another dimension to the end of the day relaxation.

Drybones
03-03-2012, 14:19
Well, you guys screwed me up, I was going to give up bourbon for this hike but now I'm re-thinking it......looks like I'll have weight creep by a few ounces.

rocketsocks
03-03-2012, 14:27
In my experience it's neither the norm nor especially unusual ... but either way I'd say anyone with a pattern of starting the day with a shot of hard liquor ought to be asking themselves some hard questions about dependency.I have brushed my teeth in the mourning and gargled...with takilya(forgot to spit),but yes,if you wake up at ten o'clock PM on a park bench,and the roof of your mouth is sunburned...you might be an alcoholic.;)

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2012, 19:06
In my experience it's neither the norm nor especially unusual ... but either way I'd say anyone with a pattern of starting the day with a shot of hard liquor ought to be asking themselves some hard questions about dependency.

As apposed to the folk that need 5 hour energy? Cuppacino? Starbucks? the biggest unregulated ultradependent folks are drinking sugar & caffiene & driving like idiots in the morning. Want to argue that one? 6000 traffic deaths in the good ole USA every year in the morning... (No I am not defending drinking alcohol in the morning)

Also try blueberry port. Childress winery in Yadkin valley NC makes on that is really tasty. Only about 18% alcohol though. (thanks good heads up I will check it out.

I have brushed my teeth in the mourning and gargled...with takilya(forgot to spit),but yes,if you wake up at ten o'clock PM on a park bench,and the roof of your mouth is sunburned...you might be a Drunk;) Small modification on my part.:D

Rasty
03-03-2012, 19:29
I can quite drinking coffee anytime but who is going to support that Columbian family that my habit supports?

As apposed to the folk that need 5 hour energy? Cuppacino? Starbucks? the biggest unregulated ultradependent folks are drinking sugar & caffiene & driving like idiots in the morning. Want to argue that one? 6000 traffic deaths in the good ole USA every year in the morning... (No I am not defending drinking alcohol in the morning)

Also try blueberry port. Childress winery in Yadkin valley NC makes on that is really tasty. Only about 18% alcohol though. (thanks good heads up I will check it out.

I have brushed my teeth in the mourning and gargled...with takilya(forgot to spit),but yes,if you wake up at ten o'clock PM on a park bench,and the roof of your mouth is sunburned...you might be a Drunk;) Small modification on my part.:D

rocketsocks
03-03-2012, 19:34

(thanks good heads up I will check it out.

Small modification on my part.:Dyeh that'll doer too.

rocketsocks
03-03-2012, 19:37
I can quite drinking coffee anytime but who is going to support that Columbian family that my habit supports?I think the US gov. send relief,but I could be wrong.

shelterbuilder
03-03-2012, 22:03
"Not to be a kill-joy", but just to mention it - in Pa., on State Game Lands, I do believe that it's not legal to "consume, tranport, or possess" alcoholic beverages, so do be discrete. Most fines are, I think, running somewhere around $300 per person per offense. With the Governor slashing the budget up and down the line, these agencies are looking for ways to make money any way they can....

Frankly, I think that I'd rather invest in the blueberry 'shine instead of the State!

Del Q
03-04-2012, 14:36
Blueberry shine...............ran into Red Cloud on his SOBO, cold-wet morning, he shared some blueberry moonshine, a juicy, plump blueberry plunked into my cup...........odd way to begin the day, 1/2 mile up the trail as my head cleared it wasn't so clear.

Wicked strong.

I started bringing "hooch" a few years ago, have varied from scotch to tequila to bourbon.........not sure what I will pack for section hike start next Sunday

Many Moons
03-04-2012, 22:38

It is hard to beat Junior Johnson's corn liquor that is sold in ABC sores in North Carolina stores. He has made Regular,Strawberry, Blueberry and Cherry flavors. He was and is a NASCAR favorite!! After I finish the first leg of the AT I plan on stocking up on some good flavors, I start on April 8th at Springer. Hope to hike with some of you and we'll have a shot after the day is done!!

Many Moons
03-04-2012, 22:41
Also try blueberry port. Childress winery in Yadkin valley NC makes on that is really tasty. Only about 18% alcohol though.

Come on 18%? You can do better than that, 80% is what the ultra lighters carry!

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 22:49
Well, you guys screwed me up, I was going to give up bourbon for this hike but now I'm re-thinking it......looks like I'll have weight creep by a few ounces.

Try the best - survived pro-ambition... Serious....Makers Mark!

I can quite drinking coffee anytime but who is going to support that Columbian family that my habit supports?

Well we all have a few habits.... suggest taking it up a notch.. ask for free shipping.

Also try blueberry port. Childress winery in Yadkin valley NC makes on that is really tasty. Only about 18% alcohol though.\

I just discovered I can do endless left hand circles round that guy.... he's Nascar and loopy..... Thanks... My kind of guy!

Many Moons
03-04-2012, 22:53
\

I just discovered I can do endless left hand circles round that guy.... he's Nascar and loopy..... Thanks... My kind of guy!

If you want to stay an Old Wise Owl, stay away from the stuff! It kills the brain cells! Look, why else would a 50 year old want to start hiking the AT? Answer is too many dead brain cells!

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 22:54
It is hard to beat Junior Johnson's corn liquor that is sold in ABC sores in North Carolina stores. He has made Regular,Strawberry, Blueberry and Cherry flavors. He was and is a NASCAR favorite!! After I finish the first leg of the AT I plan on stocking up on some good flavors, I start on April 8th at Springer. Hope to hike with some of you and we'll have a shot after the day is done!!

Hmmm just like Hawaii - it All Bases Covered Stores. - not sores..... ewww Bleeding is involved.

OK I am kidding _ I will call to discover if they ship

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 22:55
If you want to stay an Old Wise Owl, stay away from the stuff! It kills the brain cells! Look, why else would a 50 year old want to start hiking the AT? Answer is too many dead brain cells!

Ouch - I cant touch this -- Hammer time...

Many Moons
03-04-2012, 22:56
Try the best - survived pro-ambition... Serious....Makers Mark!

Well we all have a few habits.... suggest taking it up a notch.. ask for free shipping.

\

I am just trying to make it to Damascus to drink a beer with some dude named Lone-Wolf!

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 23:13
Well in another thread - he mentions he trail runs some 16 miles... suggest toning up.... might not be able ......to keep /.... up....

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 23:18
rastraikis Child... does not ship due to restrictions to the Tri State NJ, DE, PA - can someone buy a bottle and send direct to one of those states.... I have one address in each state...

Many Moons
03-04-2012, 23:50
Well in another thread - he mentions he trail runs some 16 miles... suggest toning up.... might not be able ......to keep /.... up....

Then maybe I need some vitamin water instead of the shine.

Rasty
03-05-2012, 00:35
rastraikis Child... does not ship due to restrictions to the Tri State NJ, DE, PA - can someone buy a bottle and send direct to one of those states.... I have one address in each state...

I can't help you there. I have six liquor licenses in my name. My you have a friend in one of the other states.

Rasty
03-05-2012, 00:39

Come on 18%? You can do better than that, 80% is what the ultra lighters carry!

Quality not percentage of alcohol. 80 proof is just dead weight to me as I don't like it.

Drybones
03-05-2012, 09:25
I thought UL hikers carried only multi-use items...take Everclear...fuels you stove and you.

Drybones
03-05-2012, 09:29
Lemoncello is something you may want to try to keep your weight down, doesn't take much, does take a long time to make though.