PDA

View Full Version : food consumption rate

maintenance man
03-24-2005, 08:13
Ok, I've heard the 6000 calories a day figure, and the "I was hungry all the time" thread, and "I only eat one meal a day, at night" approach. My question is how did your ( thru-hikers ) eating habits change ove the hike? Did it take your body a week or more to realize, "hey! your not putting in enough fuel"? Were you downing large portions the first week out? Will five days worth of food generally be the same throughout the 2000+ miles? I realize everyone body is different, but there must be some commonality here. I thought I rememberedd reading that the first two weeks eating is relatively normal and then the constant eating/munching sets in.

thank s for any responses
4 days and counting

rgarling
03-24-2005, 09:49
I am a section hiker (100 - 120mi) and find my appetite is supressed for the duration of the hike (8 - 10 days). I plan for 2000 - 2200 calories per day, and don't usually want to eat all of it.

I have heard that at about 3 - 4 weeks the appetite kicks back in and you can't eat enough.

Peaks
03-24-2005, 10:07
I think your question is how does an appetite change during a thru-hike.

At first, hikers are probably too tired to eat. So, during the first week or so, you may not feel that hungry. Later on, the appetite does kick in, and when it does, then you need to eat. So, I think your analysis is correct. Probably eat fairly normal for the first week or two, and then habitually snacking after that.