PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Gear list

RETCW4
03-03-2012, 10:10
Leaving in two weeks, here's my list. Weighs in about 30 lbs w/4 days of food.

Osprey Atmos 65 pack 3 lbs 12 oz = 60 oz.
Granite Gear Storm Cell Pack Cover 6 oz
Marmot Helium 15⁰F Sleeping Bag 2 lbs 2.6 oz=34 oz. and Tennier Industries Patrol Bag (summer)
Therm-a-Rest ProLite (small) sleeping pad 11 oz.
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent 2 lb 13 oz. = 45 oz.
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1Footprint 5.5 oz.

REI Lightweight Polartec Power Dry Long-Sleeve Crew
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 2 Lightweight Bottoms 5.7 oz.
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 3 Midweight Crew 8.6 oz.
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 3 Midweight Bottoms 6.6 oz.
Columbia GRT Short Sleeve Synthetic Shirt
REI Sahara Shorts
Marmot PreCip Jacket 13.1 oz
Marmot PreCip Pants 9 oz.
Montbell Ex Light Down-fill Jacket 5.6 oz.
2 – 3 pr. Thorlo KX Hiking Socks - Thick Cushion

MSR Pocket Rocket stove 3 oz
Fuel canister 4 oz
GSI Pinnacle Soloist cook kit
Light My Fire Spork 9 grams
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Huntsman 3.5 oz.

70 ounce Platypus Hoser bladder 3.6 oz
Nalgene 1 Liter bottle
Katadyn Micro Pur Tablets

NEOSPORIN® First Aid Antibiotic Ointment
4” x 4” gauze pads (3)
Band Aids
Medication and vitamins - Niaspan and Simvastatin
Journal –
The A.T. Guide

Asolo FSN 95 Boots
Crocs

Micro Fleece Cap
REI All Season gloves
2 pr. ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
Petzl Tikka2 XP
Silva compass
SPOT GPS Messenger
IGo charger
iPhone
Olympus D560 camera
Black Diamond Ergo Cork Trekking Poles
3 Bandanas

Equinox Ursus Bear Bag
Equinox 8’ x 18” stuff sack (for clothes)
Extra batteries for electronics
MSR pack towel 1 oz.

Tumbleweed

swjohnsey
03-03-2012, 10:43
Osprey Atmos 65 pack 3 lbs 12 oz = 60 oz.
Marmot Helium 15⁰F Sleeping Bag 2 lbs 2.6 oz=34 oz. and Tennier Industries Patrol Bag (summer)
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1Footprint 5.5 oz. Ditch

REI Lightweight Polartec Power Dry Long-Sleeve Crew
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 2 Lightweight Bottoms 5.7 oz. Take either lightweight or midweight
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 3 Midweight Bottoms 6.6 oz.
REI Sahara Shorts

Fuel canister 4 oz
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Huntsman 3.5 oz.

Nalgene 1 Liter bottle Use something like Gatorade bottle

4” x 4” gauze pads (3)
Band Aids
Journal –
The A.T. Guide

Asolo FSN 95 Boots
Crocs Ditch
Micro Fleece Cap
REI All Season gloves
2 pr. ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
Petzl Tikka2 XP
Silva compass Ditch
SPOT GPS Messenger Ditch
IGo charger
iPhone
Olympus D560 camera
3 Bandanas

Equinox Ursus Bear Bag
MSR pack towel 1 oz.

Tumbleweed

You only need three days of food to get to Neels Gap.

MaybeTomorrow
03-03-2012, 11:08
I think you are gonna wish your total was 20 not 30.

Osprey Atmos 65 pack 3 lbs 12 oz = 60 oz. I bet you could trim a pound off this with a razor blade
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1Footprint 5.5 oz. Ditch

REI Lightweight Polartec Power Dry Long-Sleeve Crew Drop, you have the capilene
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 2 Lightweight Bottoms 5.7 oz. Take either lightweight or midweight
Patagonia Men's Capilene® 3 Midweight Bottoms 6.6 oz. Drop but keep the cap2 bottom
(I really like 100 fleece pajamas better anyway)
REI Sahara Shorts

Fuel canister 4 oz
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Huntsman 3.5 oz. Drop, razor blade and twissors

Nalgene 1 Liter bottle Use something like Gatorade bottle

4” x 4” gauze pads (3)
Band Aids
Journal –
The A.T. Guide

Asolo FSN 95 Boots Whats wrong with the tennis shoes you walk in normally?
Crocs Ditch
Micro Fleece Cap
REI All Season gloves
2 pr. ExOfficio Boxer Briefs Drop unless you sweat or chaf
Petzl Tikka2 XP
Silva compass Ditch
SPOT GPS Messenger Ditch
IGo charger
iPhone Im generally opposed to electronics on the trail. They deaden your experience.
Olympus D560 camera
3 Bandanas

Equinox Ursus Bear Bag
MSR pack towel 1 oz.

Tumbleweed

You only need three days of food to get to Neels Gap.

Things I didn't see:
insoles, trashbags for waterproofing, whistle, cord, insect repellent, sunscreen/hat/lotion, repair kit, firestarter.

turtle fast
03-03-2012, 12:05
MSR fuel canisters for the pocket rocket are hard to find or don't exist in smaller towns, you may want to look into an alcohol stove as every hostel practically sells the stuff. I tend to go with a second pair of shoes here, I agree with crocks...you can shower in them and some showering situations the floors are not the best as well as the potential for picking up foot fungus. It is also nice to have a second pair to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and as well as your boots or shoes dry...in a pinch you can hike in them too if your boots or shoes blow out.

Firefighter503
03-03-2012, 13:01
Good looking list, enjoy your hike. Like stated above, I'd just take one set of thermals. I started with 2 sets, never wore my lightweights. Just the midweights in camp. Keep the crocs though. They are worth their weight in gold in my opinon, especially while hiking in boots.

RETCW4
03-04-2012, 09:45
Thanks for the critiques. I'll relook. A few things are there for personal preference. SPOT for instance eases the wife'smind. I'll probably start with a bottle og Gatorade and use it. Porbably go to one set of Capilenes.

Tumbleweed

RETCW4
03-04-2012, 10:19
[QUOTE=turtle fast;1262360]MSR fuel canisters for the pocket rocket are hard to find or don't exist in smaller towns, you may want to look into an alcohol stove as every hostel practically sells the stuff.

Turtle Fast: I thought canisters could be found at Wally World, etc. I am bringng two 4 oz canisters; when I empty one I'll start looking for another. I have an alcohol stove but I prefer the pocket rocket.

Tumbleweed

takethisbread
03-04-2012, 19:53
Keep your food weight down. Try to carry only things you use all the time. If you are only gonna use it 5 times on the trail, it doesn't belong in your bag. The other changes u made were totally spot on.

ScottP
03-04-2012, 20:56
it looks like you went to a local REI and asked for hiking gear.

Not what I'd want to carry on a thru. YMMV

RETCW4
03-04-2012, 21:37

Not really. After carrying 53 lbs at Philmont 4 yrs ago, I started placing gear with lighter items from various vendors to include REI. Actually was thinking about a REI Quarter dome tent and was talked out of it to hte BA Seedhouse. Took my research from WB forums, trail journals, talking with thruhikers and other observations.

hunter121
03-04-2012, 23:40
Good thread, I always like them.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

turtle fast
03-05-2012, 13:45
Not trying to dis your MSR pocket rocket, it is just Walmart does not exist in most of these trail towns and not all Walmarts carry the same Sporting Goods stuff. Nothing worse than running out of fuel and your meals need hot water. With an alcohol stove fuel is easily available and in a pinch if you did run out chances are that you could borrow/buy some from a fellow hiker. Just trying to make your life easier. :)

RETCW4
03-05-2012, 16:41
Thanks turle fast,

I'll rethink the stove. I do have a Caldera cone, just have to change my pot or modify the cone.

turtle fast
03-06-2012, 15:04
If you already have the micro pure tablets use them, but if you did not try Aqua Mira. I had a pack of micro pure tablets, and after they ran out I switched to Aqua Mira which lasts much much longer. As well use a Gatoraide bottle instead of the Nalgene bottle, unless you are going to be drinking hot beverages like coffee or tea. The Olympus camera may not be necessary as your i phone has a good camera built into it....but cameras like underwear are personal thing. As well as the GPS is not really necessary unless you have a medical need for it...enough hikers use the trail so if you really broke your leg someone would be along eventually..and you also have a cell phone.

RETCW4
03-06-2012, 15:05
Things I didn't see:
insoles, trashbags for waterproofing, whistle, cord, insect repellent, sunscreen/hat/lotion, repair kit, firestarter.[/QUOTE]

Don't have insoles, will add trashbags, whistle is on headlamp, cord is part of bear bag, insect repellent & sunscreen is in belt pocket, baseball cap and OR hat added, duct tape for repair kit and will add cotton balls soaked in vaseline.:-?

RETCW4
03-06-2012, 15:11

After carrying 70-80 lb pack in the Army for 33 yesrs, then 53 lb pack at Philmont, I'm down to a manageble weight that feels good while enjoying my comforts. Hiking my own hike.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-06-2012, 15:29
I am also carrying the SPOT and tested it just the other day in SNP, for the same reason as you, " a happy wife is a happy life". I also remember the days I carried 60 or more lbs as a Army 11 bravo in SE Asia. Thank god for this lighter gear and all of the information shared here on the WB. I will start my attempt of the Thur starting the 18th March, if you see a short old man that goes by the name of Tic-Toc say hello as you go by. Have a save and great adventure.

RETCW4
03-06-2012, 16:26
I am also carrying the SPOT and tested it just the other day in SNP, for the same reason as you, " a happy wife is a happy life". I also remember the days I carried 60 or more lbs as a Army 11 bravo in SE Asia. Thank god for this lighter gear and all of the information shared here on the WB. I will start my attempt of the Thur starting the 18th March, if you see a short old man that goes by the name of Tic-Toc say hello as you go by. Have a save and great adventure.

Tic-Toc, I plan on starting the 18th also. I'm a redhead and will be going by Tumbleweed. Hope to see you out there.:)

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-06-2012, 18:23
Tumbleweed, I am leaving for Springer Mnt on the 16th picking up Megapixel (Thur -Hiker) in Staunton, Va. We plan on arriving at Amicalola Falls on the 17th. We should hit the trail head around (9:00am) on the 18. We are not doing the Approach Trail, been there ,done that!! We will have alot of company, I am sure!! Tic-Toc

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-06-2012, 18:26
PM me if you need a ride to Amicalola Falls ,

Ferrousknight
03-07-2012, 02:41
Perhaps consider picking up a ULA rain wrap in place of the precip pants. It rolls in at under 3oz and is very cheap compared to what some will pay for a 6oz weight drop. Personally, rain pants make me sweat. I can't hike in them. They ventilate poorly and I get mud everywhere putting them on or taking them off if it's raining. I'm bringing my pair, but mailing them out once it gets warmer. They're the windbreak on my legs, since I don't usually wear a layer under my zip off pants. Thermals are a nighttime affair for me, if at all.