PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes in south and mid west-- has AT been affected?

DavidNH
03-03-2012, 11:03
I've heard on the news that yesterday and probably today too (it's early March 2012), tornadoes have wreaked havoc through southern and mid-western states. Many small towns no longer exist, blown to rubble.

My question is, does anyone know if southern sections of the Appalachian Trail (say from northern GA through southern VA) have been impacted by the sever weather? if so how have the hikers fared? My local weather station showed so many tornado touch downs in the south at one time that the T symbols nearly ran into each other. Have any of the trail towns on or near the AT been impacted?

It's all too easy for me to say "thank God I live up north and not down there" but that would be kind of callous. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

DavidNH

Lone Wolf
03-03-2012, 11:05
might be a tree or two down here and there but no major trauma around here

Slo-go'en
03-03-2012, 12:02
I would suspect in GA/NC that there are a lot more then a tree or two down here and there. These stroms are rolling through a bit earlier this year by about a month. Last year when I was down there in early April, similer storms were hitting the mountains and taking down all kinds of trees. So many I bought a small saw in Hot Springs so I could cut a path through them, which I did on an average of one a day the rest of the way to VA.

Chaco Taco
03-03-2012, 12:09
Warnings went up as we left HotSprings. Heard there were trees down fromGa Nc border thru smokies. The section around Hot Springs took a beating in 09 and is eroded in spots so there may be some washed out spots

Fiddleback
03-03-2012, 13:32
It's all too easy for me to say "thank God I live up north and not down there"...

I think you'll see tornadoes trending northwards as this late winter/early spring ages and as a general trend over the coming years...

FB

daddytwosticks
03-03-2012, 17:00
I was going to do a day hike tomorrow somewhere around Standing Indian, but nixed that idea. Our county is now under a state of emergency with a dawn to dusk curfew tonight in our town of Murphy. Had two super cells pass through and unleash several tornadoes. Last I saw of the radar yesterday night, these storms were scooting over near Clay and Macon County. The trail between Winding Stair Gap and up through Fontana may be affected. Hope all hikers on the trail last night faired OK.

royalusa
03-03-2012, 18:39
Hiked from Flatrock Gap (1 mile north of Neels) to Wildcat Mt today and didn't seen anything unusual - no trees down and no 'extra' debris on the trail. (AT miles 29.7 - 36.7). Lots of water still draining off the trail, though.

topshelf
03-03-2012, 22:32
might be a tree or two down here and there but no major trauma around here

I live in Thomas Bridge near where the AT crosses the south fork and last night NOAA reported a tornado here, went out today to run a short section and never saw any damage. Just downed limbs and a few small trees, picked up and cleaned what I could.

SawnieRobertson
03-04-2012, 11:06
I'm visiting my daughter at Estes Park, Colorado, but have been watching reports for SW Virginia with a certain amount of angst this week. The friend who is watching over my home and ducks reported this morning that, although they had been under warnings, nothing happened at Sugar Grove. Second Stage's journal is missing, but I fear that she, a very fearless woman, has spent some very uncomfortable time on the trail in that general area as these storms have been threatening. Has anyone on here met up with her?--Kinnickinic

Fiddleback
03-06-2012, 10:39
I think you'll see tornadoes trending northwards as this late winter/early spring ages and as a general trend over the coming years...

FB

Replying to my own post :rolleyes:; http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-usa-weather-storms-research-idUSTRE8241W620120305?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&rpc=76

Pedaling Fool
03-06-2012, 14:41
Reminds me of all the talk back in the early 2000's, climaxing in 2005 with Katrina. And we were being told how storms such as Katrina were now part of our future http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/09/hurricanes-and-global-warming/

BTW, you know tornadoes do require both warm and cold air, which is why they are very rare in the tropics. So if the world is warming, melting all the glaciers, then we should start seeing less tornadoes.

mgeiger
03-06-2012, 17:08
I hiked Three Forks to Hawk Mtn Shelter (and back) Sunday. It was very windy as it can be after a big front pushes through. The ground was pretty wet too from the heavy rain. Didn't see any damage on the trail, but on my way out FS58, an oak had blown over and blocked the road. I loaned 2 Army Rangers that were already there a 20k pound tow strap and they yanked it out of the way with their LMTV - a large 4x4 truck.

rocketsocks
03-06-2012, 18:47
Reminds me of all the talk back in the early 2000's, climaxing in 2005 with Katrina. And we were being told how storms such as Katrina were now part of our future http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/09/hurricanes-and-global-warming/

BTW, you know tornadoes do require both warm and cold air, which is why they are very rare in the tropics. So if the world is warming, melting all the glaciers, then we should start seeing less tornadoes.Yes ,and the transition period could be a thousand years with extreme prejudice.