PDA

View Full Version : No rinse soap

Drybones
03-03-2012, 14:16
Anyone have experience with no rinse soap? Is it worth carrying?

lush242000
03-03-2012, 14:27
I tried some about 20 years ago. Ditched it after one use. I'm sure things have improved. I would just take some small hand sanitizer to clean up with. It's also flammable if needed. So it has two uses.

OBXWaMi
03-03-2012, 15:04
I have a bottle of spray-on, no-rinse, moisturizing cleanser from when hubby was in the hospital. Made by smith&nephew secura. It worked well enough that I asked for another bottle to take home. I've used it on my granddaughter when we ran out of baby wipes. Sprayed it on a paper towel, worked like a charm. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that it smells like the air freshener for heavy pet odors. Not a bad smell, just not what you expect. If you're really offended by your own funk then it might worth carrying, especially since you can't use hand sanitizer on <cough> those sensitive areas.

Mountain Mike
03-03-2012, 23:29
Problem with it is container to mix it in. Working MC industry I once opted to live in my semi at opposed to crowded comunal quarters. Mixed it in a gallon jug & loved it for sponge bath every night. On the trail just a sponge bath with a pack towel nightly will leave you smelling better than most others. If you use a pack cover or poncho you can make a nice improved sink with a few logs or rocks to mix it in. Multi use!

erichkopp
03-04-2012, 00:02
Sponge bath/water bottle & washcloth showers work really well. I spent a few months living in a shed with no shower or running water and just bathed with a water bottle and washcloth. I never even used soap, just splashed and scrubbed often enough that I never smelled any different than if I had normal facilities.

Mountain Mike
03-04-2012, 00:08
Pack covers can make a great sink. Laundry day on the Long Trail http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=50339&c=562 even made a mini bathtub on PCT with a few resupply boxes for support

Drybones
03-04-2012, 10:28
I was mplanning to use a quart zip lock freezer bag.

nu2hike
03-04-2012, 12:46
I use a ziplock bag as well! Works great! I'm a firm believer in getting off as much of the grim as possible and changing into sleep clothes before crawling into my hammock at night!

Papa D
03-04-2012, 12:56
sounds sort of like a mess - I'd skip it. I would suggest that you just carry a tiny sliver off a Dr. Bronners bar in a sandwich baggie. I try really hard not to get soap of any kind in water sources but I often take a little creek splash of sorts (if I can't swim) by just standing naked in the creek with my pack towel and rinsing off. Even without soap, I do this downstream of where people would tend to collect water. Good hygiene on the trail is about staying "clean and fresh enough." I also DO NOT take baby wipes - for some reason, this has become popular - I detest their sickeningly sweet smell and the fact that many people throw them in privies or leave them in other places where they will not biodegrade - a damp pack towel or bandana is a perfectly acceptable, tried and true re-usable product. Hope that this helps and isn't too off-topic

flemdawg1
03-05-2012, 09:38
Anyone have experience with no rinse soap? Is it worth carrying?

I took some car camping, it better than a baby wipe or nothing. But prefer cleaning up with a bandana and campsuds on the trail. Its feels incredibly refreshing after a long day on the trail.

RedBeerd
03-05-2012, 12:08
I use the adventure medical cleaning wipes. One at night cleans an entire day of grime. They leave you feeling extremely clean and they are scentless as well. The only downside could be having to carry out more trash, but I feel they are well worth it.

V Eight
03-05-2012, 13:53
Good hygiene on the trail is about staying "clean and fresh enough." I also DO NOT take baby wipes - for some reason, this has become popular - I detest their sickeningly sweet smell and the fact that many people throw them in privies or leave them in other places where they will not biodegrade - a damp pack towel or bandana is a perfectly acceptable, tried and true re-usable product. Hope that this helps and isn't too off-topic

+1 on the smell! Maybe it’s just me, but after 3 - 4 days out on the trail, almost all artificial scents become nearly nauseating.

If I can’t find a suitable place at a stream, I have a small vinyl (?) bucket that came with a GSI pot set that works very well.