PDA

View Full Version : train FROM maine?

Pages
03-03-2012, 16:30
in looking at amtrak's schedule, i have found a train from pittsburgh TO atlanta with no problem. however when i look at a return trip FROM bangor to pittsburgh, it says there is no information!

bangor IS the biggest city closest to baxter sp isn't?

any ideas?

thanks

TV

RWheeler
03-03-2012, 16:42
Try out of Portland. Might have to take a different train carrier down into Portland from Bangor, or get to Portland some other way though.

ARambler
03-03-2012, 16:53
I took the bus from Bangor to Boston and then go the train to Philadelphia (not sure if I got a connection in NYC.) This beat the bus by enough that I did not need to spend the night in NYC. I do not think you could get a bus/train/air to Pittsburg without spending the night, or flying from Boston. Obviously, you should not get a return ticket before you leave.

Note, when looking for buses from Boston/NYC to Pitt., the Greyhound schedule will not list megabus.com

in looking at amtrak's schedule, i have found a train from pittsburgh TO atlanta with no problem. however when i look at a return trip FROM bangor to pittsburgh, it says there is no information!

bangor IS the biggest city closest to baxter sp isn't?

any ideas?

thanks

TV

Mike2012
03-03-2012, 17:30
Just for fun I looked up a trip on September 13, 2012 for one person on Amtrak. It costs $105 and starts in Bangor on a bus to Portland where it switches to a train. Leave bangor at 7 am arrive philly at 11:28 pm. I prefer trains over buses if only for the multiple toilet options en route. Prettier ride too.

DavidNH
03-03-2012, 17:39
As we say in New England.. ya cahnt git theyah from heah!

Once you finish your AT hike.. you take a taxi or hitch from Millinocket, ME to Medway then catch the bus (one per day) to Portland. From Portland, Me you can take Amtrak to North Station in Boston. At North station you walk, take subway or cab to South Station. Here you can get subway or bus to Logan Airport from which you can go most anywhere in the world.

David

doheir
03-03-2012, 23:50
Concord Coach is your best option for traveling north from Boston to Portland, Augusta, or Bangor. Service is more frequent, cheaper, and quicker than Amtrak. I wish the train service was better, but the bus wins out every time. Once you reach Boston, Bolt or Megabus will take you all over the Northeast for a fraction of either train or plane.

Mountain Mike
03-04-2012, 00:05
Try patching shorter trips after downloading their route map. Going by amtrack sugested route from Daytona Beach to AZ has me routed thru Chicago. Or I can plan my own ride on their sothern tracks.

Mike2012
03-04-2012, 00:07
I might head down to Acadia for a few days afterward. It's only an hours ride south of Bangor for a little decompression, lobster, beer and the ocean. Plus 50 some miles of trail.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 00:28
Looks Like David NH came through... On my train to Maine it barley stopped for us to get off!

Mike2012
03-04-2012, 01:04
Looks Like David NH came through... On my train to Maine it barley stopped for us to get off!

agreed but why two train stations in Beantown? I remember taking a cab from the airport to the train or bus station or vice versa.

Pages
03-04-2012, 03:43
As we say in New England.. ya cahnt git theyah from heah!

Once you finish your AT hike.. you take a taxi or hitch from Millinocket, ME to Medway then catch the bus (one per day) to Portland. From Portland, Me you can take Amtrak to North Station in Boston. At North station you walk, take subway or cab to South Station. Here you can get subway or bus to Logan Airport from which you can go most anywhere in the world.

David

thanks david...nice accent btw!

Old Hillwalker
03-04-2012, 08:01
Sadly, except for freight, the train in Maine is mostly on the plain (the coastal plain that is)

Drybones
03-04-2012, 10:19
Call Amtrak and speak with a CS rep, they can give you options not shown in the web site.

quilteresq
03-04-2012, 10:24
Ha, ha! Train to Bangor! Good one.

Pages
03-04-2012, 15:18
Ha, ha! Train to Bangor! Good one.

glad my naivety amused you! i'm just a floridian, basking in an 85 degree winter day. bet you get many of those up your way...HA. BAM!

DavidNH
03-04-2012, 16:16
thanks TV. I was just havein fun with the ol yankee accent!

In Maine, the train ends at Portland. Rather, it ends outside of Portland. You'd need a connecting city bus to get to city (if you consider 60,000 to be a city). There are no trains past Portland and darn few buses.

In Boston, the train from Portland ends at North Station, which is located near the TD Bank or Boston Garden (where the Celtics play!). most trains our of North Station are commuter trains that go to outlying towns. Trains heading west or south from Boston leave from South Station. Right next to the south station (for trains) is the bus station.

Perhaps a better bet is to take the Plane out of Portland, ME which will take you to Logan airport where you can get connecting flights to anywhere.

Chaco Taco
03-04-2012, 22:18
What is up with all the people in Concord?

Tinker
03-05-2012, 00:52
thanks david...nice accent btw!

Ayup! ;) :)

Tinker
03-05-2012, 00:52

Grape convention? :-?

mudhead
03-05-2012, 08:21
glad my naivety amused you! i'm just a floridian, basking in an 85 degree winter day. bet you get many of those up your way...HA. BAM!

Rub that stuff in will you... Snowing here. Minimal Q-Tips and lovebugs however.

peakbagger
03-05-2012, 08:43
By the way, the Amtrack Train is getting service to Brunswick ME. Still a bit of a distance from Baxter but a bit closer. One thing to keep in mind if you look at this option is that Brunswick is only accessed by Intersate 95 not the Me Turnpike. They split in Portland and then reunite north of Brunswick in Augusta.

quilteresq
03-05-2012, 09:36

Creepy, huh? I guess the stars just aligned for this thread. I don't live in Concord, but I do grocery shop there, so close enough.

TJ aka Teej
03-05-2012, 16:28
The Downeaster is scheduled to expand service to Freeport and Brunswick, supposedly in 2013 and 2014. Until then, it's a bus from Portland to Bangor, and Bangor to Medway.

Drybones
03-05-2012, 19:42
I was considering a return trip from Bangor to Anniston, Al...cost is $189...not bad but it takes two days, not sure I will want to wait two days after being away 4-5 months...will probably take a plane.