PDA

View Full Version : Can I walk thru plantar fasciitis?

gentrified
03-04-2012, 00:11
In training for my hike, I have developed plantar fasciitis in one foot - heel only. I have rested for 2 months now, with no improvement, and it's just getting worse. I have tried PT, and even massage therapy, sleep with a brace, stretching, and heel cup inserts. I have been to the DR, and MRI and xrays. Can one just hike thru the pain and it goes away? Does anyone have experience with developing PF, and it going away as you hike? After a 3 mile hike thursday, and 8 miles today, I can hardly put any weight on my foot.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 00:22
See a foot doctor - immediately

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64530-The-benefits-of-consulting-a-Podiatrist&highlight=podiatrist

topshelf
03-04-2012, 00:23
I have had a mild case but it went away. My brother had it while running cross country in college and it took years to fully recover.

Do not try walking trough the pain. Walking and putting weight on your foot only makes it worse because the pain stems from a tear in ligaments. The reason my brother struggled to get rid of it was because he never let it fully heal. He kept trying to go back running again. It can take some people a long time (over 3 months and some much longer) to heel. I would continue to rest and do everything you're doing. Every time you do something to make it worse again you are setting yourself back.

Train in other ways. Training should be a full body commitment. Try weight training and core training. Neither require weight being put on your foot. Also my brother really enjoyed swimming as a form of exercise while he was injured. Swimming really builds lung capacity which is crucial when hiking...

Hopes this helps.

Iceaxe
03-04-2012, 00:37
Throw all your old shoes away.
Find a different brand of shoe.
Every morning before you even step on the floor out of bed i want you to put a foot in the air and massage the arches.
Work on each foot slowly by massaging with fingers and thumbs along the under side of the arch.
Working up and down the foot a few times and then gently grab your toes and stretch them back (upwards) and curl them down (inwards).
Don't even think of getting out of bed until you have done this stretching routine.
My routine took 10 minutes each morning.
Yea, it is wierd.
No, you don't care about that.
You want to restore circulation in your feet after a long nights sleep and warm up and (GENTLY) stretch the ligaments and tendons before you apply your full weight upon them.
If you absolutley have to walk before stretching, keep your feet curled up and be gentle. Do Not jump down on cold feet!
If you have to pee in the middle of the night use a gatorade bottle.
It is a challenge at first to pee laying on your side but it gets easier with time. if you are gonna tarp on the AT this skill comes in real handy.. No, this wont make you "wet the bed" in your sleep.
As others have mentioned you should see a Podiatrist immediately.
I am only relating how i cured my own case of Plantar fascitis.
You will get past this.
You, and your body, are much stronger than you think.
A little Ibuprofen helps relieve the swelling before bedtime.
Also make sure you are eating 50 grams of protein each day. Nuts, Fish, Dairy, Animal, whatever, just eat a balanced diet that favors protein.
Take things slow. If you need to stop training for a while don't worry.
Healing your ligaments is paramount.

Lilred
03-04-2012, 01:00
Get yourself a pair of crocs. Not a copy, real crocs. I had PF in my left heel and nothing gave me relief except the crocs. I wore nothing else for three months. I would be in pain and limping, and the minute I put crocs on, the pain and limp would go away. I even wore them to church wearing a dress! My PF went away after three months and hasn't been back since. Also, get a GOOD pair of inserts. The kind the doctor has to heat up to mold to your foot. PF is caused by lack of support on the arch. Take the shoes you intend to hike in to the docs with you. My doc told me the reason the crocs work is because of the thick, hard rubber sole. Knock offs just don't have as hard of rubber.

I spent a week at Miss Janet's with my PF. I could hike and it didn't hurt, but the minute I stopped hiking, the pain would start. weird.

heavyfoot
03-04-2012, 01:01
Wise Old Owl is right, see a podiatrist ASAP. Plantar fascitis took me off the trail during my thruhike. Definitely address it now, not later.

txag
03-04-2012, 01:42
Can you put a finger behind your heel with your foot in the boot/shoes untied? I had this same problem until a backpacking buddy mentioned this fact I should have never forgotten. Bigger boots now - no more problems.

My friend "inherited" 2 pair of my undersized Scarpa boots from me but having no more pain was worth it.

elmotoots
03-04-2012, 02:22
Are you training with a new pair of shoes?

I agree with a shoe change it worked for me when I had it in both feet. (my old shoes had gotten to loose on my feet, and the soles were flat)

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2012, 09:47
Had it as a child. Get thee to a foot doctor. But fair warning, it can take a long time to heal/go away.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2012, 17:18
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68607-Plantar-fasciitis
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68607-Plantar-fasciitis

DrNick
03-04-2012, 17:50
The good news: It will go away by itself.
The bad news: That can take 6 months or longer.

Do not spend a cent more on x-rays, MRIs and the like. Buy some cheap thick insoles and cut a hole a
couple cms wide underneath the area of maximum tenderness. Buy several insoles so you can experiment.
Lose weight if you're overweight.
It will go away by itself with time. In the mean time you can only reduce the symptoms, not cure it.

ekeverette
03-04-2012, 18:04
i've got p f real bad myself.... it took me off the trail..... went to a foot dr. he took a mold of my foot and had inserts made..... makes the world of difference. also what Lilred said about crocs.... they also take the pain away..... go see a go foot dr.... my 2 cents. good luck, i wish you well!

max patch
03-04-2012, 18:52

Do not spend a cent more on x-rays, MRIs and the like. Buy some cheap thick insoles and cut a hole a
couple cms wide underneath the area of maximum tenderness. Buy several insoles so you can experiment.
Lose weight if you're overweight.
It will go away by itself with time. In the mean time you can only reduce the symptoms, not cure it.

I've had it 2X and that is pretty much my experience. Neither time could I run, one time I was able to day hike with maybe a 5 pound pack for 6 miles or so. Each time took about 6 months to resolve itself. Dr recommended green superfeet which I now use. There are stretches you can do - don't know if they helped but I did them. Dr also said no need to go to a podiatrist -- and added if you decide to ignore my advice (I didn't) DO NOT let them cut as it is not necessary for PF.

brian039
03-04-2012, 18:53
I had it for 6 months as a runner and just ran through the pain. I woke up one morning and the pain was gone. I tried to keep my calves stretched and would roll a Gatoraide bottle with frozen water in it with my foot, applying as much pressure as I could withstand.

max patch
03-04-2012, 18:54
I know someone who swears by vibram 5 fingers shoes for PF. I have no personal experience.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-04-2012, 19:39
Listen to wise Old Owl, it may not be PF , if not, you will be glad you saw the doctor. Unless the PF was a diagnosis by a medical doc . If that is the case see your podiatrist.

Lilred
03-04-2012, 20:23

This is not true. The crocs cured it up in three months time. My symptoms are completely gone and have been for a few years now. Completely cured. And mine was diagnosed by a doctor so I know it was PF. If it can't be cured, then symptoms wouldn't go away.

grok120
03-04-2012, 21:08
Try Nikes with airbag insoles, like walking on a marshmellow.

mkmangold
03-04-2012, 21:49
See a foot doctor - immediately

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64530-The-benefits-of-consulting-a-Podiatrist&highlight=podiatrist

Or, listen to sound advice: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?66861-Plantar-Fascitis&highlight=Plantar%20fasciitis

kennybrae
03-04-2012, 22:43
I've had PF a couple of times and recovered quickly. Google "strasbourg sock". With that image in your head try to visualize my cure.
I put on a stiff soled shoe at bed time. I use a bike shoe with the cleat off. Now, using duct tape, run a strip from the heel of the shoe, over the sole and around the toe. Continue the tape up and over your knee. It helps to shave where the tape will be first!
Now, run a band of tape around your calf under the knee and over the tape from your toe and another band around your leg above your knee. It's over the strip from your toe as well. The more you can stand having your toe pulled toward your knee the better.
Do this every night until the morning pain goes away. It usually takes about 4 nights for me but I always do this at the first sign.
First night is uncomfortable but it's not too bad after that. Might not help your love life but might get you hiking sooner.

The Mighty Tiberious
03-05-2012, 01:17
I had it for a couple of years. Small spots. Tried to dig it out and made it worse. Tried everything. Creams, Duct tape, capping with Super Glue digging to the root. Nothing worked.

While learning to Kite Board on the desert lakes I had several days walking bear foot on the sandy beach in hot sand. A few times it was burning hot in the middle of the day. I notice weeks late my feet where looking brand new. Nothing but smooth skin.

It had to have been the Burning Sand on bear feet.

The Mighty Tiberious
03-05-2012, 01:34
planters warts, plantar fasciitis.

Sorry. Different thing.

lostinfflood
03-05-2012, 06:26
Just get a shot of cortisone. Make sure you do the stretches after to prevent it from coming back.

Don H
03-05-2012, 09:31
I got PF from running on the treadmill at its highest angle setting. Suffered with it for over 6 months until it finally went away. Once you've had it apparently you're more susceptible to to have a reoccurrence. When I thrued last year I changed shoes (trail runners) every 400 -500 miles in an effort to prevent a problem. It worked, no PF the entire trip.

mudhead
03-05-2012, 12:31
Just get a shot of cortisone. Make sure you do the stretches after to prevent it from coming back.
Disagree. Only get so many cortisone injections in one life.

I needed proper arch support. PF really does catch your attention.

Tenderheart
03-05-2012, 13:31
After a 3 mile hike thursday, and 8 miles today, I can hardly put any weight on my foot.

My mantra has always been 'let pain be your guide'. I'm afraid that the above statement is speaking volumes. I'm sorry. Tough break!!

bamboo bob
03-05-2012, 14:10
I had it and it knocked me off the trail 12 years ago after 1500 miles. My feet healed up fine doing nothing special and I thru hiked the next year with the a new pair of the same Scarpa leather boots with super feet. Never had a relapse. I since switched to various trail runners with super feet.

QiWiz
03-05-2012, 17:01
In training for my hike, I have developed plantar fasciitis in one foot - heel only. I have rested for 2 months now, with no improvement, and it's just getting worse. I have tried PT, and even massage therapy, sleep with a brace, stretching, and heel cup inserts. I have been to the DR, and MRI and xrays. Can one just hike thru the pain and it goes away? Does anyone have experience with developing PF, and it going away as you hike? After a 3 mile hike thursday, and 8 miles today, I can hardly put any weight on my foot.

I don't think it will get better as you hike. If you have not tried a steroid injection, I would. If that gets it better, keep stretching like a nut and cross your fingers and hit the trail. DO NOT get up on your toes going uphill, but rather plant foot flat on the trail and bend at ankle. Do not push off toes with any vigor; this is often what flares up the PF.

Nitrojoe
03-05-2012, 19:33
Before you get out of the bed in the mourning, keep by your bed side an elastic band like an old bicycle inner tube or buy a stretch ban. Lay flat and place the tube or ban around the foot which has the plantar fasiitis and pull gently to stretch the ligament band on the bottom of your foot. Do this several times before you get out of bed. I have had this problem and this stretching of the ligament band under you foot worked for me.

Driver8
03-08-2012, 17:13
I've had PF a couple of times and recovered quickly. Google "strasbourg sock". With that image in your head try to visualize my cure.
I put on a stiff soled shoe at bed time. I use a bike shoe with the cleat off. Now, using duct tape, run a strip from the heel of the shoe, over the sole and around the toe. Continue the tape up and over your knee. It helps to shave where the tape will be first!
Now, run a band of tape around your calf under the knee and over the tape from your toe and another band around your leg above your knee. ...

Or just buy the Strassburg Sock itself for about $40 and spare yourself the trouble. I've heard it works well but haven't tried it. It appears my PF is trying to resolve of its own volition, fingers crossed.

DCHiker
03-08-2012, 18:41
I had it a couple years ago from running. I needed stiffer insoles. Now I replace all my shoe/boot insoles with Superfeet (the orange ones) insoles and haven't had an issue since.

Mando12
04-15-2012, 08:35
Seems like a lot of different cures have worked for different folks. I'm ticked because I do all of the preventative stuff--stretch conscientiously, wear good shoes, hike in good boots with superfeet, train incrementally, monitor my diet, monitor my weight, etc. Yet, I got it about a week ago. Since then I've been icing it, rolling on bottles, mild stretching and massaging, and no hiking. It is getting worse. UGH.
I'm supposed to hit Springer at the end of the month for a section to Marion VA. I may start looking for a faith healer :-)

I'm just whining. I've ordered a Straussberg sock, a massage ball, and a book that looks interesting--a study of the reported cures for PF.

Danl
04-15-2012, 09:19
Yep I got PF in my right foot and went to the doctor. He sent me to an Orthopedic, who took an x-ray, and told me I had a tiny bone spur don't know why you are having a problem with it. That was 20 years ago. It has come and gone since then and I also developed it in my left foot. Sent me to physical therapy, arch supports (drove me through the roof), stretching, rolling a iced beverage under the foot while setting (relieved it some). Finally went to a Podiatrist, He took and x-ray November 1st 2011 and told me that I had the biggest bone spurs he had ever seen. I had surgery Nov 18th and Dec 28th for removal. Now after 16 weeks I am finally getting where I can walk 3 miles. Hopefully I can get back to normal before next March to start my hike.

Driver8
04-15-2012, 09:40
Finally went to a Podiatrist, He took and x-ray November 1st 2011 and told me that I had the biggest bone spurs he had ever seen. I had surgery Nov 18th and Dec 28th for removal. Now after 16 weeks I am finally getting where I can walk 3 miles. Hopefully I can get back to normal before next March to start my hike.

Good luck, Danl. I suspect I have a bone spur in my left heel (the one affected by PF) from a college injury. It does look like my case, for now, has resolved with a couple months off trail this past winter, from Thanksgiving weekend to February 16. I join in recommending swimming to the OP. Never tried the Strassburg Sock but will if things ever flare up again.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-15-2012, 22:35
have had it and used a rolling pin to stretch out my arch by gradually placing more weight on it did this excercise several times a day for a week and eliminated it dont let anyone talk you into surgery

Humbuck
04-16-2012, 08:35
I'll throw in my two cents worth on the matter...

I had several cases of PF over the past 10 years, and in all instances I changed to very soft soles (running shoes and crocs) until the pain subsided. Usually a month or so. I would also massage my feet regularly. I have now been hiking avidly for three years and have suffered no symptoms at all. When I hike, especially toward the end of the day and in dry weather, I aim to hit as many roots and rocks as I can (within reason) to place pressure on the arches. Kind of like a foot massage in stride. :) My feet have never felt better.

Still, my recommendation too would be to see a podiatrist. I think all my cases were fairly minor.

T-Dubs
04-16-2012, 09:00
have had it and used a rolling pin to stretch out my arch by gradually placing more weight on it did this exercise several times a day for a week and eliminated it don't let anyone talk you into surgery

I used both a coke bottle and golf balls to do the same thing. It's not fun.

rocketsocks
04-16-2012, 12:03
I used both a coke bottle and golf balls to do the same thing. It's not fun.Each time I see this thread pop up,I say to myself;Yes you can hike through Plantar Fasciitis,but why would you want to!T-Dubs +1,you gave a good idea with the golf ball,and now I'm thinking a tennis ball would also lend well,when the pain is real bad,being a little softer.

PAMBO
04-16-2012, 12:31
My Pt was caused by walking on concrete many miles each day from my warehouse job. Left foot was fine during the morning, but after sitting 1/2 hour for lunch, it was excruciating to get back up and walk again. Went to a podiatrist and has a bone spur on the heel. I elected to have surgery to correct it as I was a single parent and had to work and could not afford to let it become more of a problem. Was back to work in two weeks, and have not had a problem with it since. Also got the orthopedic custom made inserts to wear with better shoes afterwords.

Flounder940
04-16-2012, 13:27
PF knocked me off the trail this year. I had PF last year and had custom orthotics made. Those helped a lot. Back in March it flaired up again and I got off the trail at Winding Stair gap. I could barely walk. I've been icing my feet with a frozen water bottle and sleeping in Stassburg socks at night. I've been going to a chiropractor who specializes in A.R.T. and grastin (spelling?) which are forms of deep tissue massage that break up scar tissue that are like knots that have formed on the fasciia. It has helped me tremendously. The PF in my left foot is gone and the right one is almost gone. I have just one knot of scar tissue left on my right foot back towards the heel. Each session, twice a week, is costing me $38 and takes about twenty minutes. It may be worth seeing if someone in your area performs this service.

kayaker4ever
04-16-2012, 13:40
I've had it and friends have had it and the one thing that consistantly worked and cured all of our problems was to get about a 5" piece of pvc or even just a large can of soup and every chance you get through the day roll it back and forth under your foot. Also when you wake up take a few minutes to lay there and stretch your foot by pushing the toes of your foot toward the foot of the bed. Do this several times as hard as you can and you won't have the pain you usually have when you get out of bed. Also take some Ibuprophin.

perrymk
04-24-2012, 12:20
This is a book that helped me with PF.

The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution
by Jim Johnson
http://www.amazon.com/The-5-Minute-Plantar-Fasciitis-Solution/dp/1598585517/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335283195&sr=1-7

This is the main stretch recommended in the book:
•Plantar fascia stretch
This stretch is performed in the seated position. Cross your affected foot over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the toes of your painful foot and slowly pull them toward you in a controlled fashion. If it is difficult to reach your foot, wrap a towel around your big toe to help pull your toes toward you. Place your other hand along the plantar fascia. The fascia should feel like a tight band along the bottom of your foot when stretched. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds. Repeat it 20 times for each foot. This exercise is best done in the morning before standing or walking.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00149

Here is the best photo I could find of the stretch.
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/42_2008/foot-stretch.jpg

I did the stretch 10 times for 10 seconds each hold, 3 times per day. It took a couple of weeks to notice improvement, a couple of months to feel good again. I maintain with doing the stretch (as part of my full body stretch routine) doing the stretch 5 times for 10 seconds each hold once per day.

I hope this helps.

Minnitonka
06-05-2012, 08:50
Sorry to hear about the PF- I got it 2 years ago and it lasted for a good 6 months. I did what everyone said, saw a podiatrist, got heel inserts made, went to PT for 6 weeksw 2x per week, did stretches in the morning etc... Eventually, the podiatrist gave me a cortizone shot in the foot. I think that actually made it worse!!! Some people swear by it, I don't. The podiatrists say taht helps the ligaments heal quicker. For me it caused more pain. So you really have to weigh your options.

What helped me the most were switching to BIRKENSTOCK shoes. they have a negative heel- that made a HUGE difference. Also I slept in the foot braces at night for a couple of months. The heel inserts the doctor made for me actually made my feet hurt( maybe he did not quite make them right, I dont know).

Unfortunetly the PF came back this year while doing a lot of hiking. I think it is becasue I was not careful and used inappropriate shoes sometimes during the day for other things. Then, when my old hiking boots wore out, I bought a pair of scarpa boots that did not really fit properly and started breaking them in and my feet really began to hurt!!!

Long story short, I found a great pair of boots, but the damage is done. I ice my feet at night, sometimes take ibuprofen, stretch my feet in the morning and sleep in splints. I am back to wearing my old worn out Birkenstocks , when not hiking and trying to get my feet back to a good condition again...

I feel your pain. Sorry to hear you are ging through all of this. There is not much you can do, other than stretching and ibuprphen, when you are on the trail. I would give your feet a break and try to take care of them. A little down time now, is better than months or years of a lot of pain and not being able to hike at all. and yes, as the others said, I would find a good podiatrist.

teachergal
06-05-2012, 20:33
Minnitonka, What boots did you find that helped the PF? I asked my dr and it was right before I got my RX inserts and he said to wait till I had them - he didn't seem to have any real preferences. I have a pair of LLBean Cresta Hikers that are about 10 years old and I need to replace them, I'm inclined to just order another pair, but they are currently the only shoes I have that irritate the PF - but that could be b/c of the hiking, not the boots, although I walk 3-5 miles a day so my day hikes are just an extension!