PDA

View Full Version : So What Is The Advice If You're On The Trail (AT) During A Severe Storm/Tornado?

Ladyofthewoods
03-04-2012, 08:05
I'm about to take off on my attempted thru-hike of the AT on March 9th and very excited. However, the tornado cells came through my area and one hit near Chattanooga, TN. I worried for those that might have been on the trail, but also wondered what I would have done to try and protect myself if I had been on the trail. Advice?

swjohnsey
03-04-2012, 08:27
Do you believe in God? If you have a little warning you might try to get in the lee of something big that won't move like a bolder, rock outcrop. A depression/ditch is also recommended. I would not want to be in trees or a shelter.

MuddyWaters
03-04-2012, 08:31
What is your plan at home?

In parts of the country without basements or storm shelters, the only real plan is "hope you dont get hit by one"

Few smaller man made above ground structures can withstand a direct hit.

Slo-go'en
03-04-2012, 10:33
Thankfully, the mountains tend to break up tornatos, but they can still get winds strong enough to knock down trees and limbs. Just hope your in a sheltered area or a tree doesn't fall on you.

The severe March weather is another good reason not to start a thru until April when things start to calm down some.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2012, 10:47
When on the trail, those disgusting shelters that many despise are a bit better in a severe storm than some nylon fabric pitched under trees (with falling limbs).

Spokes
03-04-2012, 10:49
For tornadoes, the best advice is to go low. This is from www.ready.gov

"Lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands. Be aware of the potential for flooding."

I can almost guarantee if you're on a bald when a storm kicks up that little voice inside you will guide you down off it as quickly as possible.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 11:21
Do you believe in God? If you have a little warning you might try to get in the lee of something big that won't move like a bolder, rock outcrop. A depression/ditch is also recommended. I would not want to be in trees or a shelter.

I don't believe we have ever lost a modern AT Shelter to a tree fall. You would be safe in there.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2012, 11:23
I don't believe we have ever lost a modern AT Shelter to a tree fall. You would be safe in there.

rufus morgan one year

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2012, 11:27
rufus morgan one yearWas anyone present, and if so injured? Just wondering.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 11:31
Well, Well, Well, the hikin boot is on the wrong foot... Where are all the naysayers now? Look up (look who posted, no green horns there) Now look back at me....

What Happened to "You don't need survival Skills" "You don't need a compass" "You don't need a Knife or Match" "Oh its just a storm" blah blah blah...... Yes!

I believe in God - after that - Survival Skills come in handy - and knowledge.

P-Train
03-04-2012, 11:32
Check out the Click on the Video link. There are a few trails still closed in the GSMNP due to this F4 that came through in the spring. To this day there are still neighborhoods getting new roofs near where I live from two back to back storm/tornado storms.

http://www.thegreatsmokymountains.org/blog/tornado-damage-in-the-park/

Fatalities would have occurred had it been in a more densely populated part of the park where I and many people hike.

Interesting video.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 11:37
Ok I will bite LW - did it loose just the roof or was the entire structure destroyed. 2002 Right?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=471&d=1138571684

P-Train
03-04-2012, 11:41
I'd rather be in a shelter due to all the flying debris.

swjohnsey
03-04-2012, 11:42
No man-made structure or tree is likely to survive a direct hit by a toranado. One of the stone shelters might be better than nothing. I think I would crawl under the platform if it had one and hunker (is that a word) down next to a wall.

Bati
03-04-2012, 11:50
Was anyone present, and if so injured? Just wondering.

Luckily the ghost of Rufus Morgan held up the tree during the storm (or perhaps it was pure luck). The shelter collapsed to about 18 inches high (and less) a few hours (presumably) after the occupants were able to leave. When they returned on a day hike while waiting for the snow to melt further, they noted that one of the beams landed directly where the man was sleeping.

If you do have to seek shelter in a shelter, a stone one is much preferable in the mountains. Many hikers are opposed to ALL logging, but they've frequently not seen a shelter that's been reduced to a maximum height of 18 inches. Some campsites have double-seater privies that offer more protection and if you're not thankful to albe to spend the night in a privy, then it's not that bad of a storm.

However, if you're in an area that doesn't have as many mountains to break up the tornadoes , and you get a direct hit, it really doesn't matter much where you are, unless it's underground.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 11:52
Hey I have been in my house during a sever storm when a 75 footer took out the roof Resulting in $15,000. I have spent an additional $7000 removing all the tall trees that were right up against the structure that threatened to do it again... Its no picnic, and it scared the hell out of the wife when it happened - I rolled over and went back to sleep, broke out the chain saw and come-a-long in the morning took all day to get it off the roof..

I would stay in a shelter - the odds are with you. That this is the best place to be in a storm.

I cant see the date of the picture - this appears to be the replacement?

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/40/82272306_a9cbcb885a_o.jpg

Bati
03-04-2012, 11:53
Ok I will bite LW - did it loose just the roof or was the entire structure destroyed. 2002 Right?

March 14 or 15 1993.
The storm started on the night of the 12th, but the worst was on the 13th.

garlic08
03-04-2012, 12:05
I had one blow over me one night in Connecticut in '08. Sounded like a freight train, and morning revealed mature oaks snapped off mid-trunk. Salisbury was a minor disaster. I was camped in a good spot, generally low terrain, no widow-makers around (I always check). All I could do during the storm was assume the fetal position, cover my head, and try not to whimper. My hiking partner, a few yards away, was imagining the German tanks approaching Allied positions during the Battle of the Bulge. His tent was more fun than my tent.

I guess it's best to have a good situational awareness and a cool head in searching for the best protection around. Generally, the high ground is not the worst place to be in many storms.

BigHodag
03-04-2012, 12:16
My survival strategy would be:

1) Get off the trail and into sound shelter. Many homes in the south have "fraidy holes" and I'd try for space in one. Culverts and other protective structure are more common off-trail.

2) If away from populated areas, get to a shelter. As mentioned get down in a corner or lie along the wall. Logs are more dense and offer better protection from flying debris than most modern homes.

3) If you can't get to shelter, then try and put a ridgeline between you and the tornado. Get as far down the protected side as you safely can and hug a tree. The few survivors I've talked to that were caught outdoors, sat down and hugged a tree, putting the tree between them and the oncoming winds. As most AT hikers have bear cord, you might consider lashing yourself to said tree much as sailors lashed themselves to masts in gales.

4) Last resort is to hit the deck. Try and find a boulder, depression, or ditch and get as low to the ground as possible. If you can find an exposed root or two, grab on. You'll also want to protect your head as many tornadoes are preceded by large hail, but not all.

If you have time and its convenient, you might also put your headlamp and signal whistle on around your neck for after the storm passes.

[Disclaimer: BigHodag is a former emergency manager and a disaster instructor.]

Mike2012
03-04-2012, 15:09
Pull up the weather on your cellphone once in awhile and if you see reds and purples approaching on the radar and severe storm warnings are posted consider your options. Review lightning safety guidelines as well. http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

ScottP
03-04-2012, 15:34
I saw the destroyed shelter somewhere in southern VA, mid-spring 2007, with the tree still in it. Old stone shelter with a fireplace in the middle and bunks on either side. Tree split the shelter in half.

rocketsocks
03-04-2012, 15:52
I think one of the easiest things to do is buy a small weather radio,you can send it home after the spring storms are gone and then mail drop it to yourself later in the summer when the northeast gets to play.If I was in the woods and no shelter was available I would look for an under cut bank of a dry steam bed,and place my back pack around my head.Flying debris will be your biggest enemy and a shelter would not only be a good place to go if nothing better presents,in addition most will congregate there so there is a better chance that through shear numbers a difficult situation (someone hurt)would have a better chance of survival.Common sense and awareness are the golden words for any storm.

Tenderheart
03-04-2012, 16:56
rufus morgan one year

You are right. I was on the trail when that happened. I was also at Blue Mtn. last year when the tornado came through. My advice would be to get to a shelter and pray.

Snowleopard
03-04-2012, 17:30
Pull up the weather on your cellphone once in awhile and if you see reds and purples approaching on the radar and severe storm warnings are posted consider your options. Review lightning safety guidelines as well. http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm
Definitely do this if you have a data connection, more likely in town than on the trail.

I think one of the easiest things to do is buy a small weather radio,you can send it home after the spring storms are gone and then mail drop it to yourself later in the summer when the northeast gets to play. ...
Good idea, but will you have reception on the trail? Probably not everywhere.

Bring a small am/fm radio and check local stations when the weather looks ominous; if you can get one with weather radio. You should have at least AM reception on the whole trail. Keep it with you till you finish because severe weather is possible till fall (i.e., hurricanes in New England into Sept.). Tornadoes aren't the only dangerous weather, there's also hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, lightning, floods, down bursts, floods. New England has had all of these in the last two years.

As garlic says, always check for hanging branches or questionable trees over your campsite.

For some weather events, you really don't want to be on the trail. Being on the trail in VT during hurricane Irene would have been unpleasant; because of extreme flooding getting to town could have been difficult. If you paid attention to weather forecasts before Irene, you would have had plenty of warning to take in town zero days.

If you use common sense, you should be OK. The really severe stuff isn't likely to hit you. Don't be above treeline during a lightning storm.

rocketsocks
03-04-2012, 17:56
Definitely do this if you have a data connection, more likely in town than on the trail.

Good idea, but will you have reception on the trail? Probably not everywhere.

Bring a small am/fm radio and check local stations when the weather looks ominous; if you can get one with weather radio. You should have at least AM reception on the whole trail. Keep it with you till you finish because severe weather is possible till fall (i.e., hurricanes in New England into Sept.). Tornadoes aren't the only dangerous weather, there's also hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, lightning, floods, down bursts, floods. New England has had all of these in the last two years.

As garlic says, always check for hanging branches or questionable trees over your campsite.

For some weather events, you really don't want to be on the trail. Being on the trail in VT during hurricane Irene would have been unpleasant; because of extreme flooding getting to town could have been difficult. If you paid attention to weather forecasts before Irene, you would have had plenty of warning to take in town zero days.

If you use common sense, you should be OK. The really severe stuff isn't likely to hit you. Don't be above treeline during a lightning storm.This is a perfect example of why I come to"White Blaze",because no matter what I think I know,there's always good advise to be had...for those that listen.+1

Nutbrown
03-04-2012, 18:53
put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye.

birdygal
03-04-2012, 19:17
There is a bunch of tornado damage on a trail by the AT in Georgia there is a sign on the entrance that says closed due to tornado damage, You could see all the tornado damage on a neighboring mountain between Tesnatee and HoG pen Gap when I was there the end of Oct 2011

rsjrny
03-04-2012, 19:24
I'm about to take off on my attempted thru-hike of the AT on March 9th and very excited. However, the tornado cells came through my area and one hit near Chattanooga, TN. I worried for those that might have been on the trail, but also wondered what I would have done to try and protect myself if I had been on the trail. Advice?

Where as all the destruction and loss is a sad thing I have been reminded as to what my drill instructer said "Bend over, spread your legs and kiss you ass godbye"

takethisbread
03-04-2012, 19:58
I actually was on the trail during one. One hit central PA last April and I was doing the Duncannon 24 (24 beers ,24 miles , in one day). Between Boiling Springs and Duncannon, I nearly passed out on Cove Mtn. In retrospect I don't suggest drinking a case of beer in a tornado on the trail.

BigHodag
03-04-2012, 20:10
Bring a small am/fm radio and check local stations when the weather looks ominous;

One of the reasons I selected an unlocked LG Incite phone (http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-CT810-incite) for my trail phone is it has a built in FM radio -- no extra weight.

Since the technology exists for FM radios in phones, I don't understand why weather alert radios have not been standard in all phones.

Papa D
03-04-2012, 20:13
Be a cautious,, weather watching woods-person - know when to hunker down and know when to get out -- it's not that easy but if you are aware and thinking, you are ahead of the game.

Hikes in Rain
03-04-2012, 20:38
I can almost guarantee if you're on a bald when a storm kicks up that little voice inside you will guide you own off it as quickly as possible.

Yes, been there. Done that. And yes, it certainly did!

Jeffrey Scott Wise
03-04-2012, 21:15
We were on the top of Amicalola Friday night, our tent was a giant sail, but thankfully stayed upright and mostly dry. We should have headed into the bathrooms, but no structures survive a direct tornado hit.

ChinMusic
03-04-2012, 21:19
I have not trail tested the following iPhone app but it looks like it has promise: iMap Weather Radio.

This app uses your current location (found by either cell towers or GPS) and will send you a text message for whatever type of warning you want (the options are amazing).....and specific for your location. I use it on a daily basis and plug in the location of my house, office, son's house, and daughter's work. It also follows your location while driving and alerts you if you drive into an area under a warning. I just do not know how it would work on the trail. Obviously you can't go around in GPS mode all day as your battery would go to zero quickly. My plan would be to turn it on once or twice a day to see whats out there.

I'm a gizmophile so this thing is right up my alley.

Kookork
03-04-2012, 21:34

Amen to this.

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2012, 23:54

If you use common sense, you should be OK. The really severe stuff isn't likely to hit you. Don't be above treeline during a lightning storm.

I am beginning to rethink this... Keep in mind as a ham and I have several AM radios with long wires, that's an antenna that heads to the back of an acre. Am suck during a lightening storm and most cheap ass radios have a wide IF up front that allows two stations to beat when you are on a ridge... nothing wins here.

Smart Phones can access digitaly the weather and radio stations.. Oh wait you can get real time weather maps!!!

www.intellicast.com

Tinker
03-05-2012, 00:04
I actually was on the trail during one. One hit central PA last April and I was doing the Duncannon 24 (24 beers ,24 miles , in one day). Between Boiling Springs and Duncannon, I nearly passed out on Cove Mtn. In retrospect I don't suggest drinking a case of beer in a tornado on the trail.

exactly :rolleyes:

Ktaadn
03-05-2012, 16:47
Well, Well, Well, the hikin boot is on the wrong foot... Where are all the naysayers now? Look up (look who posted, no green horns there) Now look back at me....

What Happened to "You don't need survival Skills" "You don't need a compass" "You don't need a Knife or Match" "Oh its just a storm" blah blah blah...... Yes!

I believe in God - after that - Survival Skills come in handy - and knowledge.

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying that a compass, knife, and matches will save you in a hurricane or tornado?

Bati
03-05-2012, 17:08
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying that a compass, knife, and matches will save you in a hurricane or tornado?

A compass won't help much during a hurricane or storm, but it can come in handy afterwards.
There's a common misconception that if you can get to a town or hostel , you'll be just fine. What people often forget is that a town or hostel may have limited services and there may not be a way to leave except on foot. My visit to Neel's Gap was fantastic, but the nearest working phone was outdoor pay phone in a town several miles away (thankfully the road was clear in that direction), there was a space heater in the store, no electricity, and only a bit of running water that you could drain from the hot water heater (as one hiker wisely put it in response to the privy issue "I figure what are roads for?")

How long would you care to hang out in a place like that? But if you left, you needed to know how to use a map and compass; luckily the store was open for hikers only, so if you were lacking gear, you could stock up, a situation that would not be typical in most towns.

Tipi Walter
03-05-2012, 17:08
It helps to know an area well when the feces hits the fan.

Remember last April's hell storms and tornadoes? I was out on Flats Mt in TN near Chattanooga at 4,000 feet and got my little Sangean WX weather radio out and decided to bail and hike about 8 miles to the Bald River Gorge wilderness where I knew of a campsite below a rock face offering some protection from falling trees. Ya gotta get to low ground and stay put in a protected cove or deep valley.

In fact, wouldn't you know it, but I get back from my last trip on February 27 and Bam! A tornado hits my home town of Tellico Plains, TN and there is extensive damage. I went to look in town on a drive and the twister had no regard to hills or mountain tops---it sheared the trees down all across the sides.

"Prevailing winds" also can be tabulated and shelter found on the opposite side of the mountain from where the worst wind is blowing. Do tornadoes touch down in the Southeast at 5,000 or 6,000 feet?? Good question. Those spots are very exposed, even without a tornado. And then the challenge becomes Certain Death by Lightning Bolt.

louisb
03-05-2012, 17:29
When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Just remember not to take shelter under an overpass or bridge.

--louis

rocketsocks
03-05-2012, 17:32
Just remember not to take shelter under an overpass or bridge.

--louisDo you mean twist and shout?

Snowleopard
03-05-2012, 18:50
I am beginning to rethink this... Keep in mind as a ham and I have several AM radios with long wires, that's an antenna that heads to the back of an acre. Am suck during a lightening storm and most cheap ass radios have a wide IF up front that allows two stations to beat when you are on a ridge... nothing wins here.

Smart Phones can access digitaly the weather and radio stations.. Oh wait you can get real time weather maps!!!

www.intellicast.com (http://www.intellicast.com)
Alas, all true, there is no perfect solution.
Data connections along the mountainous parts of the AT will be spotty. Check your cell company's coverage map.

Weather radio and FM broadcast radio are VHF. You'll probably get good reception on mountain tops and bad reception in valleys. Weather radio coverage maps are here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/ It looks like PA through VT have decent coverage. I suspect that some of the valleys will have no reception, but I haven't tried it. NH and ME have spotty coverage along the AT; again on mountaintops you'll probably have reception. The same will be true of FM, but the FM stations here just didn't provide the same level of detail on last year's tornadoes as AM radio, TV or internet. I did spend an hour in my basement with my laptop when it looked like a cell was developing to a tornado and it was really nice to see the real time radar maps.

You can sign up for text message severe weather alerts for your cell phone. One place is: https://registration.weather.com/ursa/alerts/step1 I think I signed my family up for text alerts from NOAA last year but I can't find it now. Again, if you're in a place with no coverage this might not help, though text messages apparently get through better than voice or data.

If you want a radio with very good AM reception, I got my son this: http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA1103-Worldband-Radio/dp/B0006OCEFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330985481&sr=8-1 I don't think it has weather radio on it.

If the lightning is bad enough to make AM radio useless, you'd better get off that mountain top fast.

rocketsocks
03-05-2012, 19:16
Alas, all true, there is no perfect solution.
Data connections along the mountainous parts of the AT will be spotty. Check your cell company's coverage map.

Weather radio and FM broadcast radio are VHF. You'll probably get good reception on mountain tops and bad reception in valleys. Weather radio coverage maps are here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/ It looks like PA through VT have decent coverage. I suspect that some of the valleys will have no reception, but I haven't tried it. NH and ME have spotty coverage along the AT; again on mountaintops you'll probably have reception. The same will be true of FM, but the FM stations here just didn't provide the same level of detail on last year's tornadoes as AM radio, TV or internet. I did spend an hour in my basement with my laptop when it looked like a cell was developing to a tornado and it was really nice to see the real time radar maps.

You can sign up for text message severe weather alerts for your cell phone. One place is: https://registration.weather.com/ursa/alerts/step1 I think I signed my family up for text alerts from NOAA last year but I can't find it now. Again, if you're in a place with no coverage this might not help, though text messages apparently get through better than voice or data.

If you want a radio with very good AM reception, I got my son this: http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA1103-Worldband-Radio/dp/B0006OCEFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330985481&sr=8-1 I don't think it has weather radio on it.

If the lightning is bad enough to make AM radio useless, you'd better get off that mountain top fast.It should also be noted that while on a AM(Amplitude Modulation)lightening will be presented as loud "pops",though there is no way I know of to say just how far away it is.

BlakeGrice
03-06-2012, 00:38
If I was near a shelter I'd get under it assuming you are talking about a huge tornado coming towards you. Actually I may just get in it, I'd hate for it to collapse on me. If I was in the middle of nowhere, I guess I'd just get as low as possible. Maybe hug a tree.

RichardD
03-06-2012, 00:42
I was out in several severe storms during my thru last year, one with a nearby tornado that killed (Greenville Tenn 7 miles away) and one with lightning of apocalyptic intensity.
In my view the real danger was from falling trees or lightning strikes. To mitigate the risk from these I tied my hammock to smaller trees and tried to stay clear of obvious "widowmakers". I also tried to avoid dead or dying trees and there are enormous numbers of these along the AT. The worst storms happened at night and it is a difficult decision to get out of your hammock or tent in the wind and hail in the middle of the night and assume the lightning position. Most likely by the time that decision is made the worst of the storm would have passed.
During the day it is much easier to find a relatively secure place to shelter when you hear a storm approaching
After Fontana I carried an Air mat and on occasion I used a shelter if I thought a storm was likely. The shelter certainly gave me a sense of security but I fear it was a false sense of security. Most shelters have tin roofs over wood walls and no grounding wires, I think its quite possible for lightning to arc through the inside of a shelter. I know lightning deaths have occurred inside shelters in years gone by.
I dont think there is much you can do if you are in the path of a tornado in the middle of the night out in the forest but the probability of this happening is exceedingly low.
Many hikers were out on the trail through these storms and no one was injured to my knowledge but many had some quite harrowing tales.
A far bigger risk, in my view is injury or worse from a fall on wet rocks especially on the Northern half of the trail.
If you take care with site selection for overhights and seek sensible shelter in advance of daytime thunderstorms the chances are very good that you will be just fine, there are no guarantees.

Hiker8261
03-06-2012, 01:35
This web page has some decent common sense in it.

http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.com/2011/06/lightning-and-what-you-can-do-while.html

chris

vamelungeon
03-06-2012, 02:45
For hams like WOO or me, the Baofeng UV-3r is a good choice. It is a vhf/uhf dual band hand held with FM broadcast reception as well, and weights about 120 grams. I have one. I've never taken a ham radio on a hike but I intend to take this one. http://www.verotelecom.com/Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio-UV-3R.htm

vamelungeon
03-06-2012, 02:47
For hams like WOO or me, the Baofeng UV-3r is a good choice. It is a vhf/uhf dual band hand held with FM broadcast reception as well, and weights about 120 grams. I have one. I've never taken a ham radio on a hike but I intend to take this one. http://www.verotelecom.com/Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio-UV-3R.htm
120 grams = 4.2 oz

garlic08
03-06-2012, 09:21
I think of severe storms this way: If you are directly in the path of tornado or lightning bolt, you are probably dead, period. Shelter matters little in that case. But think of the chances--as noted above, statistically you're better off being concerned about slipping or tripping on a calm sunny day, and drinking enough water. Look at search and rescue records.

Severe storms give some warning to those alert enough to see and hear them. Forecasts are pretty good. It's fairly easy for most to avoid being outdoors. If you need to be outdoors during a severe storm period, you should be trained in avoiding harm and where best to seek shelter. And first aid for others afterwards. There are better resources for that than on an internet forum.

ckwolf
03-06-2012, 09:31
Used to be no one on the trail would know the storm was a tornado until they got to town afterward but nowadays twenty cellphones will be letting us all know the danger we are in. Don't let the fear get to you. I survived a tornado in missouri last spring in an 8x12 plywood cabin, didn't expect to - maybe I did die and yet another me is here today, how does it all work? anyway I attribute survival to giving up any expectation and being in the moment, that peace was the greatest ever and I really enjoyed it. Wouldn't seek it out but giving up control and expectation is the best feeling ever and that is a major lesson from the trail herself.

HeartFire
03-06-2012, 11:46
Thankfully, the mountains tend to break up tornatos, but they can still get winds strong enough to knock down trees and limbs. Just hope your in a sheltered area or a tree doesn't fall on you.

The severe March weather is another good reason not to start a thru until April when things start to calm down some.

I think the tornados tend to break up the mountains! I just drove from Neels gap to Amicalola falls. about 5 miles south of neels gap (on the road) the (trees on the ) mountain side were flattened from a tornado. It's really amazing to see the destructive force of Mother Nature

Ktaadn
03-06-2012, 17:31
A compass won't help much during a hurricane or storm, but it can come in handy afterwards.
There's a common misconception that if you can get to a town or hostel , you'll be just fine. What people often forget is that a town or hostel may have limited services and there may not be a way to leave except on foot. My visit to Neel's Gap was fantastic, but the nearest working phone was outdoor pay phone in a town several miles away (thankfully the road was clear in that direction), there was a space heater in the store, no electricity, and only a bit of running water that you could drain from the hot water heater (as one hiker wisely put it in response to the privy issue "I figure what are roads for?")

How long would you care to hang out in a place like that? But if you left, you needed to know how to use a map and compass; luckily the store was open for hikers only, so if you were lacking gear, you could stock up, a situation that would not be typical in most towns.

Why wouldn't you just get back on the trail and start hiking again?

I wouldn't want to hang out in a place like that very long but if you "left" wouldn't you just be walking on roads? Why would you need a compass for that?

atmilkman
03-06-2012, 19:37
I think the tornados tend to break up the mountains! I just drove from Neels gap to Amicalola falls. about 5 miles south of neels gap (on the road) the (trees on the ) mountain side were flattened from a tornado. It's really amazing to see the destructive force of Mother Nature
Totally true. Come to Alabama and I'll show you where the tornados have stripped the mountains up one side and down the other, top to bottom. No where is safe. God has got to be on your side. Like this tent here.15444
Mother Nature can be very cruel and very selective at the same time. When it's your time she'll let you know, and if she happens to spare you it will be God your thanking.

mirabela
03-06-2012, 19:59
Just one thing to add to the conversation -- severe storms don't usually crop up out of nowhere in no time. You can usually figure out that something is coming. Get low *before* there is a big black cloud sitting right on top of you.

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2012, 20:43
It should also be noted that while on a AM(Amplitude Modulation)lightening will be presented as loud "pops",though there is no way I know of to say just how far away it is.

no not true I have a trained ear - I can tell the difference when on AM when 30 vs 10 miles....

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2012, 20:49
Just one thing to add to the conversation -- severe storms don't usually crop up out of nowhere in no time. You can usually figure out that something is coming. Get low *before* there is a big black cloud sitting right on top of you.

Also not true - IN Illinois stuff would blow and catch anyone off guard.

1978 Chicago - Major storm spawned over Lake Michigan and the most important hub at the airport was screwed for 24 hours. Nobody predicted it. - a 5 in my book!

After reviewing the above posts - I survived a direct hit with a tornado when the Valley Forge High School lost their roof and it bounced down the Turnpike and hit me directly in my car.

Alpine Jack
03-06-2012, 20:54
I was on the AT near Albert Mtn when last weekend's system blew through. The straight line winds rocked the shelters and stripped a number of limbs off trees. Mostly, though, the rain drenched us, thoroughly. Then came the snow! Just prior to the storm, I anchored my tent snugly against a huge fallen chestnut. Lightning lit the sky for hours. Quite beautiful, yet terrifying.

rocketsocks
03-06-2012, 21:13
no not true I have a trained ear - I can tell the difference when on AM when 30 vs 10 miles....And that's one reason you are the Woo.

mirabela
03-06-2012, 21:31

Note emphasis. I'm not saying surprises never happen, but you can save yourself *most* of the worst trouble with weather by keeping an eye on the sky. Honest.

rocketsocks
03-06-2012, 21:39
Note emphasis. I'm not saying surprises never happen, but you can save yourself *most* of the worst trouble with weather by keeping an eye on the sky. Honest.
[/COLOR]And never turn your back to the ocean.;)