PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak to get to Springer Mountain

Christian Torp
03-04-2012, 13:44
I can't seem to find anything clear about whether or not it's feasible to take a train to get to the start of the AT. If I do such where do I need to buy a ticket to (it looks like it'd be Amtrak) and where do I go from there?

Many thanks,
-Christian

Hooch
03-04-2012, 13:53
Amtrak to Atlanta, take the MARTA to the North Springs station and get the Hiker Hostel (http://www.hikerhostel.com/) to pick you up. Call them to make reservations, ask for the Thru Hiker Special.

Mr Breeze
03-04-2012, 13:55
You can take Amtrak to either Atlanta or Gainesville Ga. You can catch a shuttle from either location. Hiker Hostel, or Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles will pick you up and get you to the start of the AT. The Hiker Hostel is picking me up in a few weeks from Gainesville. Just check with either of them to see what days they have available before you book your ticket.

max patch
03-04-2012, 14:05
If taking Amtrak get off in Gainesville. No need to go to Atlanta -- you can use Marta but its a PITA to get to from the Amtrak station (super easy from airport). Plenty of choices for shuttle; can even use taxi service if all of the usual suspects are unavailable for some reason.

Mike2012
03-04-2012, 14:33
According to http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/shuttles.htm ,

Getting from Gainesville to Approach Trail
When you get to Gainesville, a taxi driver will probably be at the bus or train station and will be more than happy to take you to the trailhead for the Approach Trail at Amicalola Falls State Park.

I've seen fares of around $65 or so and they want to be paid in cash from what I understand. With any luck I'll be somewhere around the AT start about this time next week. That being said, if anyone is driving from Gainesville to Amicalola SP next sunday morn with extra room..........

DavidNH
03-04-2012, 16:08
If you don't want to go to Atlanta, you can take Amtrak to Gainsville, Georgia. From there you can get shuttled to the hiker hostel in Deloneha. You'd of course have to pre arrange and stay there. Check out their thru hiker special (www.hikerhostel.com).

Grampie
03-04-2012, 17:02
Take AMTRAK to Gainsville and than hire a cab to take you to Amicola falls state park. That's where the approach trail starts. As I remember the train doesn't get to Gainsville until 7 PM or so. You may want to spend the night in Gainsville at a motel. I walke4d to one from the RR station.

generoll
03-04-2012, 19:00
there was a 7:00am southbound last year. just check the website.

hambone5126
03-04-2012, 19:14
i just purchased my ticket to gainesville. its an overnight ride from philly that gets there around 7am. i plan on starting that day with a shuttle to the trailhead

Hiker8261
03-05-2012, 22:09
The 7am train is the Crescent from New York City to New Orleans. I used it from NYC to Gainesville in 2009 and am doing it again this year on 3/20. I got a roomette which includes dinner and breakfast. One other benefit is I can carry fuel so it is straight to the trail when I get there. More expensive than flying but easier from my point of view.

chris

MedicineWoman2012
03-07-2012, 14:37
Hambone we are also on the midnight trian to GA... arriving Gainesville at 7a March 13th. Are you heading to Approach or Springer? Cya on the trail.

Mr Breeze
03-07-2012, 14:55
I am also taking the train to Gainesville. As far as being able to carry your fuel on with you, you might want to check into that. The NTSB, as well as Amtrak prohibit the carrying on of any Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids, fuels, fireworks or other explosive devices. These are not allowed to be carried on, or checked. As long as they don't check your pack, i guess you will be able to get on with it. Just an FYI

takethisbread
03-07-2012, 16:41
I took the Amtrak to Atlanta (then Marta/Shuttle to Springer) a few years ago. Worst experience of my life. Train broke down for 24 consecutive hours in Georgia. They ran out of beer! And food! And beer!

I would rather be stabbed in the eye sockets by a burning spear, than ride the rails again. I did get to springer eventually, but I was worn out.

Red Hat
03-07-2012, 18:59
I took the Amtrak to Atlanta (then Marta/Shuttle to Springer) a few years ago. Worst experience of my life. Train broke down for 24 consecutive hours in Georgia. They ran out of beer! And food! And beer!

I would rather be stabbed in the eye sockets by a burning spear, than ride the rails again. I did get to springer eventually, but I was worn out.

sad to hear, TakeThisBread, don't remember reading that in your journal... but anyway, Amtrak is much better than the bus!

I still think Hooch had the best idea...

LDog
03-07-2012, 20:37
Taking Amtrak to Gainesville on the 19th. Amtrak does indeed prohibit fuels onboard, and I know they have random screenings at some stations. Hiker Hostel has a great deal if you want to spend the night with them, but they won't shuttle non-guests to Amicalola. Survivor Dave is highly recommended, and has all kinds of fuel for sale at reasonable costs. Taxi might be cheaper ...

generoll
03-07-2012, 22:49
if you're not staying at the Hiker Hostel and need a shuttle send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Red Hat
03-08-2012, 10:43
I'll vouch for GeneRoll! He is one of the best shuttlers out there!

Mike2012
03-08-2012, 11:20
Taking Amtrak to Gainesville on the 19th. Amtrak does indeed prohibit fuels onboard, and I know they have random screenings at some stations. Hiker Hostel has a great deal if you want to spend the night with them, but they won't shuttle non-guests to Amicalola. Survivor Dave is highly recommended, and has all kinds of fuel for sale at reasonable costs. Taxi might be cheaper ...

hmmm, any chance they sell fuel cannisters at Amicalola Falls SP?