PDA

View Full Version : external frame backpack

Fetter
03-04-2012, 14:16
I am attempting a thru hike march of next year and decided to stick with an external frame pack. My previous one is a kelty and is still in good condition so I want to look for another kelty but want some input on other brands. I can't seem to find any externals anywhere, I guess they went out of style or something.

Feral Bill
03-04-2012, 14:50
Yes, out of style. See Campmor for Kelty and Jansport models.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2012, 15:13
out of style for some, not all;)
try e-bay,campmor, start a thread on WB in the buyin gear forum

old geezer
03-04-2012, 15:28
Z packs Exo is cutting edge

swjohnsey
03-04-2012, 15:57
There is a reason you don't see 'em much anymore. Probably won't see many Model As either.

RodentWhisperer
03-04-2012, 16:29
There's nothing wrong with using an external frame, so if you want to/are able to haul one, go for it.

For my first years in backpacking, I used a Kelty Trekker 3950 external frame pack-- rather heavy, bulky, and a little squeaky, but oh, so durable! I still have it in storage. I keep thinking, "one o' dese days, I'm gonna go old-school." :)

They've fallen out of favor primarily because of their weight (or so I think). Kelty still sells its Trekker, and it's weight has been reduced since I bought mine (I think now it's about 4 lb). The Z-Packs model is immensely lighter (good grief! <13 oz?!), and Joe is such a good man to deal with, very personable.

Tuckahoe
03-04-2012, 18:11
There is a reason you don't see 'em much anymore. Probably won't see many Model As either.

Well with regards to the Model A there is automotive technology that allows a better car to be made... Internal frame packs are not necessarily better than external frame packs and really is nothing more than the result fads and marketing.

swjohnsey
03-04-2012, 18:31
When was the last time you saw an 8 oz external frame pack or a 1' 8" one for that matter. External frame packs have their place. I carried one for about a million miles. If you are tryin' to make it to Katadin it probably ain't the best answer.

restless
03-04-2012, 18:55
I am attempting a thru hike march of next year and decided to stick with an external frame pack. My previous one is a kelty and is still in good condition so I want to look for another kelty but want some input on other brands. I can't seem to find any externals anywhere, I guess they went out of style or something.

While I don't think you will find a lot of love for externals on here, check with Campmor, Sierra Trading Post ans eBay. Dand Designs/K2 made a great external, I believe it was called the Long Bed, but it was heavier than most other externals. I would stick with Kelty, IMHO.Unless you go internal. Then you can get 38,563 suggestions as to what to carry.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2012, 19:03
what size pack you need?

map man
03-04-2012, 19:45
I use an external frame pack made by Luxury-Lite. My rig weighs two pounds and holds as much as 75 liters. I don't need quite that much space but it does give me the "luxury" of not having to compress my sleeping bag much. A drawback is that it is pretty expensive.

I'm not a thru-hiker -- I'm a section hiker -- but every year people do complete thru-hikes with external frame packs.

swjohnsey
03-04-2012, 20:27
Folks completed the AT using shower curtains for shelter, barefoot, eating only peanust, etc., but I wouldn't recommend it.

HiKen2011
03-04-2012, 20:30
Folks completed the AT using shower curtains for shelter, barefoot, eating only peanust, etc., but I wouldn't recommend it.

Works for some though, to each his/her own.

mirabela
03-04-2012, 21:06
Nothing wrong with an external. Kelty Tioga is pretty much the standard. People get real hung up about gear. Don't let it bug you. It'll work just fine.

Bucho
03-04-2012, 21:51
My previous one is a kelty and is still in good condition

Why are you looking for another external frame pack?

Fetter
03-05-2012, 10:38
My other pack frame is too small and somewhat lacking with the number of pockets and straps plus it's dark purple...time for a big boy pack that wasn't a Christmas gift

Fetter
03-05-2012, 10:41
My other frame is just a bit too small and is lacking in pockets and straps plus its a dark purple bruise color...time for a big boy pack

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2012, 12:23
size reg. kelty super tioga(try to get one made after 95 or so) they seemed to have gotten a little lighter :-) awesome packs 4-5 pockets, 2 water bottle sleeves behind two of the pockets, a map pocket right behind the main flap, and a sleeve next to the pack to slide tent poles down in
i have not put my dana design shortbed thru enough tryouts to evauluate it.

ScottP
03-05-2012, 12:29
some very experienced hikers like externals.

if you aren't interested in the lightweight thing and don't want something hot and sweat on your back, they are fine

turtle fast
03-05-2012, 12:51
Externals are still very relevant. Just not in vogue right now. If you are looking for a good used external check ebay and sometimes thrift stores like Goodwill or the Salvation Army sometimes have them. Many like externals as you get air circulation in between you and your pack unlike an internal where the sweat is seemingly a constant. However obviously the two styles 'ride' differently and both styles will work on the trail. Lastly, the external pack tends to be heavier than an internal so your weight is more of an issue on what you are carrying. A cool way to use an external frame and to have a shelter is to pack "Alaskan" style. Alaskan is where you have a tarp and you pack everything you got in the center and fold up the tarp like a Christmas present and affix the whole thing to a bare frame with rope and/or bungi cord. Kinda a neat way to go and would be unique on the AT.

beakerman
03-05-2012, 15:57
When was the last time you saw an 8 oz external frame pack or a 1' 8" one for that matter. External frame packs have their place. I carried one for about a million miles. If you are tryin' to make it to Katadin it probably ain't the best answer.

You realize that its entirely likely that more people have "summited" Katadin with external frame packs than with internal ones to date. peole hiked with externals for millenia...it does not decrease the odds of one finishing the trail. Is all about the person's commitment or in some cases something unexpected like an injury/illness or something at home comes up.

skinewmexico
03-05-2012, 15:59
Luxurylite makes a couple of externals. The heavy one is 2-1/4#. Interesting concept. The cuben pack is shockingly expensive.