PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 day weekend hikes in NC?

lifeisgood
03-04-2012, 19:31
So I'm new to NC and am looking for some ideas for good 2-3 day weekend hikes. Difficulty of the trail doesn't matter since I grew up backpacking and am currently in good shape. Just figured I would post on here to see if anyone knew of nice loops or out and back hikes that I could fit in on the occasional 3-day weekends I get! Thanks!

4shot
03-04-2012, 19:44
The hike from the gap north of the smokies (near I-40 and the standing bear hostel) into Hot Springs is nice. You will get a good 3000ft. climb over Snowbird on the first day and cross Max Patch, ending up in Hot Springs which is a nice little town.IIRC, that's about a 40 mile walk, which is a bit of a stretch for a 2 day hike for many.You can leave a car at Hot Springs and shuttle back to the gap (Davenport?). shuttle can be arranged thru the outfitter there.

bigcranky
03-04-2012, 20:43
The Standing Indian loop is a nice ~25 mile weekend loop, mostly on the A.T. Park at the trailhead at Standing Indian Campground, about 12 miles west of Franklin, NC, and the loop is obvious on a map.

The Roan Mountain section is terrific, and makes a nice weekend. Try Hughes Gap north to US 19E for the biggest climbs. Several folks in the area offer shuttles.

The 25 miles from I-26 at Sam's Gap north to Erwin, TN, go over Big Bald, which is a lot of fun. Shuttles available in Erwin.

It's just over the border in Virginia, but the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area is top notch. If you park at Grayson Highlands State Park, there are several excellent loop hikes, again obvious on a map. Or get a shuttle from Damascus and hike southbound either from Elk Garden or from Massey Gap for a great weekend hike.

Whack-a-mole
03-04-2012, 23:18
A close place to F'ville is the Uharrie NF. They have the 20 mile Uharrie trail that is split into 8 and 12 mile sections, and the Dutchmans Creek Trail. The DCT has the same southern trail head as the UT, and you can park there and hike up one, and come back down the other. Very nice woods. This is a good time of the year to go. There are a lot of copperheads and rattlers there, so keep your eyes open in warmer weather. Also, since it is a NF, it is a very popular deer hunting spot. I would avoid Thanksgiving week, and other Nov and Dec weeks I would wear some orange to help prevent an accident. These are some very pretty woods. I have done both of these trails several times, and enjoy spending time in these woods.

Rasty
03-05-2012, 01:13
Give the Shining Rock Wilderness a try. A few great loops. Ivestor Gap trailhead for the Art Loed trail to cold mountain to the Daniel Boone boy scout camp to the little east fork trail back to the Ivestor trail. Real fun two or three day trip. The little east fork trail is interesting. Really overgrown for about a mile in the middle.