PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiking with Children

Hennessy
03-04-2012, 23:46
I have heard mentioned a few thru-hikers that did the entire thru with their kids. (You know how you hear about "The youngest thru-hikers", etc...)

I wondered... how is this accomplished? Do they run through the whole thing to squeeze it into the summer months? Do they home school? How does one home school on the trail? What about nosey social workers that claim you're abusing them by making them do a forced 2000 mile march (after all, seems like everything is classified as abuse nowadays, from making them eat broccoli to not letting them watch TV.)

Got nothing against the kids getting out there and experiencing a thru-hike, but the sheer logistics of it must be mind-boggling.

That being said, if I had children, I would totally let them thru-hike if they were up for it.

Hooch
03-04-2012, 23:58
Troll and Anchor thru hiked with their son, Oblivious in 2005. They home schooled him along the trail. He did the PCT in 2007 and made an attempt at the CDT with his dad in 2009.

lush242000
03-04-2012, 23:58
I eat broccoli several times a week. It's not abuse.

Hennessy
03-05-2012, 00:01
I eat broccoli several times a week. It's not abuse.

It would, however, be considered abuse if one were forced to sit in an enclosed space with me after I ate it.

Bronk
03-05-2012, 03:12
Hiking with children involves observance of a lot of the same rules you follow when you bring a dog on a hike. For instance, you should never bring children into a shelter, or allow them near water sources.

Hooch
03-05-2012, 06:42
Hiking with children involves observance of a lot of the same rules you follow when you bring a dog on a hike. For instance, you should never bring children into a shelter, or allow them near water sources.. . . .and always make sure they're on a leash. :)

Rocket Jones
03-05-2012, 07:49
hiking with children involves observance of a lot of the same rules you follow when you bring a dog on a hike. For instance, you should never bring children into a shelter, or allow them near water sources.

roflmao . . . .

nchiker
03-05-2012, 08:14
Witcher family from ronoke va did. mr witcher,wife&2 kids. i followed them on trail journals.com& met him acouple times,cool people

swjohnsey
03-05-2012, 08:56
Two kids did it last year, 13 and 15 at the start.

Pedaling Fool
03-05-2012, 09:52
. . . .and always make sure they're on a leash. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6UVE1U5Pkw&feature=related

Nutbrown
03-05-2012, 09:55
Home schooling on the trail would be much easier now with technology. Load up the ipad with the work, send it in (or whatever they do) when you are in towns. I think it would be an excellent experience if the kids are prepared and willing.

jakedatc
03-05-2012, 12:15
Look up Sunshine and Balls. They got a lot of grief for Sunshine doing the PCT last year at age 11 (youngest PCT thru). He made sure she kept her pack weight low, food and water intake correct, assisted with river crossings, etc.

they are starting the AT in april.

Feral Bill
03-05-2012, 12:27
I don't see meaningful home schooling happening on the trail. Not in the sense of doing something similar to going to school or even on-line schooling. Integrating the whole experience with reading, journaling, nature study and active participation in planning might work out. As for authorities, I expect the home states policies would prevail. Just have some documentation of a plan and program. If the kids are into the trip, I doubt any social workers would be interested. If not, the trip is abusive.

Just my take as a teacher.

turtle fast
03-05-2012, 13:10
Although the kids were home schooled, on the trail it must be hard to get in study time for the kids that is not related to the natural environment while walking. Though I guess that could be done after the trail is done. Each state sets their own homeschooling standards so while hiking it may be good to have something from your state saying that your child is being home schooled in that state. Just in case the authorities think you are homeless or something....

bamboo bob
03-05-2012, 14:16
I have seen kids with Dads out "toughening up " jr. One kid had a pack way heavier than mine and was stoic about it but I thought he was embarrassed that his dad was being such a dick. That was in PA. Others have been varying degrees of enthusiastic. I guess it's no different in anything else. If the kids are into it go for it. The good ones let the kids set the pace.