PDA

View Full Version : compass and book on how to use it

John B
03-05-2012, 10:59
I want a decent compass and a book on how to actually use it. I don't need to call in surgical air strikes and I don't want to do orienting competitions -- just enough knowledge to stand a reasonable chance of being able to get myself out of trouble should I find myself lost.

Using Amazon reviews, it seems that David Seidman's book "The Essential Wilderness Navigator" in combination with a Suunto A-10 would give me the best bang for the buck. If there is someone on Whiteblaze who really knows a lot about this topic and will tell me that either or both choices are woefully inadequate, I'll place my order later this week.

Suunto A-10:
http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-SS012063013-A-10-Compass/dp/B000FEXZGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330959262&sr=8-1

"The Essential Wilderness Navigator":
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Wilderness-Navigator-Outdoors-Second/dp/0071361103/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2Z9BKC3LPPELQ&colid=36D2W2NH8WSLE

BTW, I thought Spoke's links to the YouTube navigation videos were really helpful.

canoehead
03-05-2012, 11:28
This is a good book and fairly easy to understand.
I use this book also. I run an outdoor / adventure business and the folks that I teach say, they would rather learn hands on they find it's easier to do it, then to read about it. So if it's confusing or you don't quite get it. Then take a class with your local outfitter, guide etc...

WingedMonkey
03-05-2012, 11:55
The old stand by from way back, Be Expert With Map & Compass. Silva sells it, but it can be found a lot cheaper.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-05-2012, 11:59
Friend, there are many very easy to learn Compass & Map reading videos on YOUTUBE. You will get the basics and more right while your sitting at home. hope this helps! Just type in how to use a compass and a topo map. It should get you to some very good videos.

rsjrny
03-05-2012, 13:03
I am a fan of the book "Wilderness Navigation" written by Bob and Mike Burns

Hikes in Rain
03-05-2012, 13:23
I have all those books, but for a great beginners guide, just get yourself a copy of any old Boy Scout Handbook. Not only a good entry level guide to map and compass use, there's a wealth of other great info, as well.

rhjanes
03-05-2012, 13:49
That is a decent base-plate compass. You can pick one up at an REI or outfitter near you. Some have a small magnifier built in, which might be a helpful addition. You can also pick up a compass and find a local orienteering event near you. At ours, we always do a beginners class. You can sign up for a recreational "hike" on the beginner course, which will all be on trails anyway. You can use the event to practice your compass work.

GP1971
03-05-2012, 13:56
Don't get the latest edition of the Boy Scout Handbook. It's watered down. Get an 80's or earlier. The Fieldbook also has alot of info but again get an older one

Feral Bill
03-05-2012, 14:25
Once you learn the basics, practice continually until knowing where you are becomes second nature. Develop the ability to translate what's on a topo map into what you see around you, and vice versa. It's a fun part of hiking that I think many never learn to enjoy. Amaze you friends with your rare, pidgeon-like sense of direction.

rocketsocks
03-05-2012, 15:37
I want a decent compass and a book on how to actually use it. I don't need to call in surgical air strikes and I don't want to do orienting competitions -- just enough knowledge to stand a reasonable chance of being able to get myself out of trouble should I find myself lost.

Using Amazon reviews, it seems that David Seidman's book "The Essential Wilderness Navigator" in combination with a Suunto A-10 would give me the best bang for the buck. If there is someone on Whiteblaze who really knows a lot about this topic and will tell me that either or both choices are woefully inadequate, I'll place my order later this week.

Suunto A-10:
http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-SS012063013-A-10-Compass/dp/B000FEXZGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330959262&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Wilderness-Navigator-Outdoors-Second/dp/0071361103/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2Z9BKC3LPPELQ&colid=36D2W2NH8WSLE

BTW, I thought Spoke's links to the YouTube navigation videos were really helpful.

I have also been watching Spokes link to the Green Mt. Clubs map and compass on u-tube....It's great,I think that book and compass combo is a good place to start.

beakerman
03-05-2012, 15:50
In all reality you don't need to have a book..you can find literally everything you need to know online. i teach map and compass skills to my scouts and i pull stuff down all the time from a number of sites. Ichange all the time because it seems every year someone new comes along and had better graphics or a better demonstration. For that reason I won't recommend any site at this time.

beakerman
03-05-2012, 15:51
dang fat fingers...

the key is to practice....get the same quality of map for an area around you and practice with it.

coach lou
03-05-2012, 16:09
Once you learn the basics, practice continually until knowing where you are becomes second nature. Develop the ability to translate what's on a topo map into what you see around you, and vice versa. It's a fun part of hiking that I think many never learn to enjoy. Amaze you friends with your rare, pidgeon-like sense of direction.

Bill, your post is absolutely spot-on[another term I hate]. You don't, 1 hr. into your walk, whip out map and compass and wave it back and forth and......here I am!!! You must be aware of your location at all times, untill a periodic check keeps you on tract.

John B
03-05-2012, 16:57
I have also been watching Spokes link to the Green Mt. Clubs map and compass on u-tube....It's great,I think that book and compass combo is a good place to start.

I got lost from the "Fred in the shed" part but it was a good start and if nothing else made me want to actually learn how to use a map and compass rather than just carry them around for style.

I wish map/compass/orienteering skills were taught locally. I'm much better learning by having someone show me than reading a tech manual. The local outfitter in my city doesn't do classes and I searched on line for stuff. There is an orienteering group in Louisville but their website hasn't been updated in about a year.

The "Essential Navigation" book seems to be a good fit for me because it doesn't BS about the history of the compass from ancient times in China and about how magma and the earth spinning create declination. The reviews suggest that it tells you how to get from here to there, how to stay on track, and other basic stuff, and I'm hoping it has a lot of pictures and diagrams. I need simple. I get lost in complexity. Neighor's kid is in Scouts so I'll see if he has their handbook, too.

I pretty much get how to find N-S, but the "path of direction" and orienting needle and setting a course and whatnot I need to study. And I really don't get how to find where I am on a map if I'm hopelessly lost. Something about seeing nearby 'landmarks' and then locating them on the map. I don't get how you'd do that if you're in the middle of a forest and can't see 50 feet without a tree blocking the view. All the mountains look pretty much the same to me from a distance but maybe after I read a book I'll know better. Makes sense to keep up with where you are, though, than hike 8 hours and stop and wonder where I got myself to now. I took a "rocks for jocks" geology class in college, so I sorta understand gridlines and where cliffs are.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to order the book. I'll let you know if it's any good -- if it can teach me, it can teach anyone..

Feral Bill
03-05-2012, 17:39
. Neighor's kid is in Scouts so I'll see if he has their handbook, too.

If he knows his stuff, maybe this kid can teach you. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

rocketsocks
03-05-2012, 18:51
I got lost from the "Fred in the shed" part but it was a good start and if nothing else made me want to actually learn how to use a map and compass rather than just carry them around for style.

I wish map/compass/orienteering skills were taught locally. I'm much better learning by having someone show me than reading a tech manual. The local outfitter in my city doesn't do classes and I searched on line for stuff. There is an orienteering group in Louisville but their website hasn't been updated in about a year.

The "Essential Navigation" book seems to be a good fit for me because it doesn't BS about the history of the compass from ancient times in China and about how magma and the earth spinning create declination. The reviews suggest that it tells you how to get from here to there, how to stay on track, and other basic stuff, and I'm hoping it has a lot of pictures and diagrams. I need simple. I get lost in complexity. Neighbor's kid is in Scouts so I'll see if he has their handbook, too.

I pretty much get how to find N-S, but the "path of direction" and orienting needle and setting a course and whatnot I need to study. And I really don't get how to find where I am on a map if I'm hopelessly lost. Something about seeing nearby 'landmarks' and then locating them on the map. I don't get how you'd do that if you're in the middle of a forest and can't see 50 feet without a tree blocking the view. All the mountains look pretty much the same to me from a distance but maybe after I read a book I'll know better. Makes sense to keep up with where you are, though, than hike 8 hours and stop and wonder where I got myself to now. I took a "rocks for jocks" geology class in college, so I sorta understand grid lines and where cliffs are.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to order the book. I'll let you know if it's any good -- if it can teach me, it can teach anyone..Yes very often there is no radio tower or Mt.peek to shoot a back bearing or to set a coarse.You often have to keep in mind where you came from to extrapolate where you are.But it is fun,and the more you do it the better you become.

Mags
03-06-2012, 16:10
Many local outdoor groups will offer a free (plus cost of materials) map and compass class.

Nothing like hands on instruction with some book learning for a follow up IMO.

beakerman
03-06-2012, 16:13
I grew up in teh Appalacians and never had a problem locating myself on a topo...until i wasn't paying atention and hiked off the one I had with me that day...that was a tad frustrating for a few minutes until i realized what i had done. Its not always aboiut peaks and radio towers, more sublte features work as well. Hollows, creeks, gaps and jsut about anything that deviates from a straight line can be used to get a position. Of course the more prominent the feature the better bearing you can take and thus the better triangulation you can do. When things get indistinct take multiple readings on as many things as you can identify to narrow your location. Back in the day, when I did that sort of thing all the time i would give a GPS a run for its money. Now I'm down here in flat land..that makes things truely difficult.

Spokes
03-06-2012, 20:05
The old stand by from way back, Be Expert With Map & Compass. Silva sells it, but it can be found a lot cheaper.

1+ on the Silva book.

Heres the link to the fantastic 7 part video series on how to use map and compass by the Green Mountain Club on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p584IPVf0-w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tabasco
03-06-2012, 20:39
john, there is an orienteering group in louisville. http://www.olou.org/index.html

I think UK offers a map / compass course through either ROTC or Forestry

rhjanes
03-07-2012, 00:41
"Orienteerers never get lost.....they just lose map contact"
Translation, You must read the Topo/Map, know how to use the compass and be aware of where you are "on the map" at all times. Orienteering teaches "thumbing" the map. You fold the map and use the tip of the compass to "point' on the map, exactly where you are. "I'm at the point on the map where the bridge crosses the river'. Walk a bit, note that you are now where the trail is climbing the hill and you are at the top, move the pointer to the trail shown on the Topo at the top of the hill. Maintaining contact with the surroundings and the map at the same time.

swjohnsey
03-07-2012, 10:11
Another Silva fan, both the book and their compass. That said you don't need a map or compass to navigate the trail. It can be helpful to know how to determine direction in the woods without a compass.

Spokes
03-07-2012, 10:27
The basics of the Silva book are summarized in these three video clips from the Silva YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mh5NB0KuEg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988WLcUPBOE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8isqTri-dc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Silva 1-2-3 Baby!

Cheers!

lemon b
03-07-2012, 11:06
Map & compass skills are field learned not book learned. Get a geo map of an area you've been in alot and work with the compass and map. Then go somewhere you've been to once or twice and repeat. You'll pick it all up. I'm lucky my Dad taught me map and compass skills way back in grade school.

coach lou
03-07-2012, 11:58
Map & compass skills are field learned not book learned. Get a geo map of an area you've been in alot and work with the compass and map. Then go somewhere you've been to once or twice and repeat. You'll pick it all up. I'm lucky my Dad taught me map and compass skills way back in grade school.

I taught my son on the boulder between Mahoosuc Arm & Speck Pond, on a beautiful blue sky day, we could see the smoke from the cog rail train on Mt. Washington.

woodstock64
05-19-2012, 01:08
I have this book and a Suunto MC-2G mirror compass. I highly recommend both. You're right the Essential Navigator is a very well written, easy to understand book. I find it chockful of very useful information presented in a concise manner. David Seidman really makes the subject of navigation with a map and compass accessible to even the person with absolutely no previous knowledge on the subject. He presents the information the reader needs to learn map and compass skills without all the unnecessary "fluff".

rocketsocks
05-19-2012, 01:23
I have this book and a Suunto MC-2G mirror compass. I highly recommend both. You're right the Essential Navigator is a very well written, easy to understand book. I find it chockful of very useful information presented in a concise manner. David Seidman really makes the subject of navigation with a map and compass accessible to even the person with absolutely no previous knowledge on the subject. He presents the information the reader needs to learn map and compass skills without all the unnecessary "fluff".Very cool,isn't that a good feeling knowing that as long as you have your trusty compass,and knowing how to use it,that you'll never be lost.....well at least not lost for long.

Papa D
05-19-2012, 08:19
I love map and compass skills and enjoy the craft - - I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'll point out that there is NO need for a compass on the AT - none - not in a fog, the rain, a snowstorm - - really never. I occasionally refer to a map on sections of the AT if I am looking for a side trail, creek, or some geographical feature, but in terms of hiking the AT, if you can't follow the white blazes and remember which direction you were traveling (NORTH OR SOUTH :rolleyes:) you simply don't have the mental capacity to figure out the relatively simple basics of map and compass.

AAhiker
05-24-2012, 18:52
Don't get a Silva! They used to make great compasses but they outsourced to china and make garbage now. I replaced my old Silva with a new one for SAR and it leaked, got a replacement...same deal. Buy Suunto or Brunton. I personally have the Brunton adventure racing compass because I like baseplate models, just slimmer and quicker in my opinion. Someone else posted that all you need to learn is on youtube, its a fact. Anyway the adventure race compass will do everything you need it to do and do it accurately. And as you learn more skills it has what you need to adapt to those as well minus a clinometer like some of the mirrored compasses.

AAhiker
05-24-2012, 18:58
"Orienteerers never get lost.....they just lose map contact"
Translation, You must read the Topo/Map, know how to use the compass and be aware of where you are "on the map" at all times. Orienteering teaches "thumbing" the map. You fold the map and use the tip of the compass to "point' on the map, exactly where you are. "I'm at the point on the map where the bridge crosses the river'. Walk a bit, note that you are now where the trail is climbing the hill and you are at the top, move the pointer to the trail shown on the Topo at the top of the hill. Maintaining contact with the surroundings and the map at the same time.

Another way is to use what they call "ranger beads". its a way for you to measure distance based off your natural stride. If you keep track of that, know how to measure distance on a map, and know where your hike started your golden. Orienteering is a very handy skill though.

10-K
05-24-2012, 19:05
REI holds a free map and compass class regularly here in the Asheville area. I went to a really good weekend map and compass skills and topo map reading class at the Smokey Mt. Field School in GSMNP.

Still.. learning to use a compass out of a book is like trying to learn cloud types by looking at a cloud book.

You can learn more in 2 hours from someone showing you than you can in a week trying to figure it out from a book.

Find somebody that knows how to show you and then practice.

smithcj06
04-15-2013, 12:15
Staying Found by June Fleming is pretty invaluable

that being said a class and hands on use is the greatest way to learn

atraildreamer
04-15-2013, 17:21
This is a good site, I downloaded it and printed it out:

http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/lesson1.html

johngo
12-12-2016, 00:37
The original poster asks a great question, and I am reviving this thread to give a good answer. I I have taught wilderness navigation classes to hundreds of people, and have some well informed opinions on this.

Compass: Suunto M3. Simple baseplate compass with adjustable declination. Cost about $30. Buy it online rather than REI, much less expensive.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XANJRHG/

Books: two of the books mentioned above are good, the one Bob and Mike Burns and the complete wilderness navigator.
I do not recommend the "be an expert with map and compass," because the material is a bit outdated and about half of the book is about the sport of orienteering, which is a great fun thing to do but not exactly backcountry navigation.

Several people above mentioned YouTube, which is a great resource, depending on which videos you watch. A lot of them are made by ex-military people, who like to dress in camouflage clothing, talk in a hillbilly accent, and tell you how to use a lensatic compass, which for civilians is usually a poor choice.

Here's how to find the most complete and easy to understand a series of navigation instruction on YouTube: do a search for "Columbia river orienteering club" and you will find some excellent navigation instruction videos.

Most people find learning compass use much easier with a live demonstration or video then reading about it in a book.

Another Kevin
12-12-2016, 17:42
Since this thread has come back from the dead:

Silva, Brunton and Suunto have all had problems with outsourcing to (I seem to recall) a Malaysian contract manufacturer. Some years they're good, some years they're not. The usual problems are that they have tiny cracks in the capsule that allow bubbles to get in.

As far as I know, K+R still manufactures in Germany. So far, my K+R mirror-sight compass has held up well.

The high-end Bruntons are still good, but heavy and expensive. The Cammengas are even heavier, and lack a baseplate, so you need a separate protractor and something to serve as a plotting board in order to use them effectively. (In short, they're a poor choice for a hiker.)

For textbooks, it's hard to beat the ones from National Wildfire Coordination Group: http://www.nwcg.gov/sites/default/files/publications/pms475.pdf
or the US Army: https://ia800809.us.archive.org/17/items/milmanual-fm-3-25.26-map-reading-and-land-navigation/fm_3-25.26_map_reading_and_land_navigation.pdf

It's almost certainly better to get some hands-on instruction, and a lot of orienteering clubs offer classes free of charge in the interest of public safety.

For the classroom part of a land navigation course, I steal a lot of slides from http://landnavigation.weebly.com/land-navigation-parts-1-2-3-and-4.html, throwing out the stuff about the lensatic compass (which is usually a poor choice for hikers) and adding material on mirror-sight and baseplate compass use. I also try to emphasize orienteering skills - handrails, catching features, collecting features, approach points, aiming-off, .... which I use on almost any off-trail hike. I can't think of when I last used resection except for teaching it. Maybe if I hiked in the West where the sight lines are longer it would make sense.

I also try to include a little unit on use of the altimeter. That's an invaluable addition to your kit with the short sight-lines in the East, since it can make any contour line into a backstop or handrail. A lot of the time around here, altitude and aspect is what you have for a fix, or if you're lucky, altitude resected with a single sight.