PDA

View Full Version : Southern Suggestions?

cschriner999
03-05-2012, 18:55
Hey everybody, a buddy and I are hiking for 4 days and 3 nights during the second week in April and were hoping to get in 50 or so miles somewhere in the South. I've done about that much in the Shenandoah area and was looking for some suggestions. Thanks for you help, and any cautions or ideas about what the weather would be much appreciated.

lperno78
03-05-2012, 19:32
Not sure how far south you are thinking but maybe start atthe beginning. Springer to Unicoi Gap isright at 50. I’ve done the GA section andit has its moments but it is not too difficult. This will give you the experience that thousands of threw hikers havehad in the past. If you can add a coupledays to your trip you could knock out all of GA.

Cookerhiker
03-05-2012, 20:20
In the first half of April, you'll still have winterlike conditions in the South's higher elevations. I agree with lperno to start at Springer and hike north, see how far you get.

cschriner999
03-06-2012, 18:14
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a great idea, I'd love to hike the start of the trail. Just wanted to ask you a couple follow up questions...

I know the elevation is high=colder temps and possible sleet and snow, do either of you guys have any experience around this area and time of year? Just wanted to get a better idea of climate and how to prepare.

Also, my plan was to start 50 miles out and work my way back to Springer. Any thoughts on that plan or do you think it is smarter to start at Springer and work our way out? (Not sure if it makes a difference but...We're driving down and need to park at our finish and take a shuttle to where we'll beginning.)T

Thanks again so much for both of your replies, should be a great time!

Emily Harper
03-06-2012, 18:27
My favorite part was Damascus to Pearisburg. I hiked this in early May when spring was just starting to emerge so everything was magical.

Cookerhiker
03-06-2012, 22:11
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a great idea, I'd love to hike the start of the trail. Just wanted to ask you a couple follow up questions...

I know the elevation is high=colder temps and possible sleet and snow, do either of you guys have any experience around this area and time of year? Just wanted to get a better idea of climate and how to prepare.

Also, my plan was to start 50 miles out and work my way back to Springer. Any thoughts on that plan or do you think it is smarter to start at Springer and work our way out? (Not sure if it makes a difference but...We're driving down and need to park at our finish and take a shuttle to where we'll beginning.)T

Thanks again so much for both of your replies, should be a great time!

With your 50 mile goal, hiking southbound to Springer means you start at Unicoi Gap. Immediately, you ascend Blue Mountain - 1,000' in only 1.4 miles so be prepared mentally if not physically.

Regarding April weather, hopefully the Georgians will respond - Max Patch, Fat Man, et al. My impression is you experience anything from warm springlike temps & sunshine to freezing rain. Not sure about snow.

allen3150
03-07-2012, 08:42
It's been alternating between cold one week and warm the next this year. Snow in April is possible. 70s is possible. Wait until lastest forecast before you leave. Always be prepared for cold nights though.

Pixelgator
03-10-2012, 18:55
Old timers around here are predicting snow around Easter.

Red Hat
03-10-2012, 19:10
yes, April in Georgia can be anywhere from 30s to 70s.... and you can have gorgeous warm days, or cold wet ones. Snow is always a possibility, but it doesn't usually stick around. Hiking south is nice, I've found and Unicoi is a great place to start. If you've never been to Helen, GA it is a hoot and a nice night before your hike. I love the Helendorf Inn. Of course, if Alpine Swiss is not your cup of tea, you could stay at the Hiawassee Budget Inn. They'd probably shuttle you to Unicoi Gap.

cschriner999
03-12-2012, 18:48
You guys are awesome!! Thanks for you conjectures I'll continue to check the weather.

Red Hat, thanks so much, if Helen at the Unicoi Gap or Springer Mt. I'm thinking we'll park at springer or a hotel or something there and catch a shuttle to Unicoi. Thanks again!