PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking: What should I do with my car?

Zim
03-05-2012, 18:58
I think i've overspent my allotment of questions, but this board has been so helpful and I am really at a loss here. I am planning on starting my section hike in Erwin. A few days before, I am packing up my car in LA and heading cross country. My family is outside Philadelphia and I need some way to get my car to them. Haven't convinced anyone to come meet me, so I need to use a service.

Problem is, all the services I know of require a long window (24 hours or longer) for you to wait around with your car. I don't have that kind of time to wait around, I need to hit the trail! I'm obviously wary to leave my keys with a stranger. Not sure at all what to do, trip is only a few weeks away now.

Hooch
03-05-2012, 19:06
Where are you hiking to?

Zim
03-05-2012, 19:07
Where are you hiking to?

The plan is to get picked up just past the mason-dixon line, a couple days past Harper's Ferry

Hooch
03-05-2012, 19:12
Take the car to them, then take the bus to Johnson City, TN and then get a shuttle to Erwin.

kayak karl
03-05-2012, 19:21
hooch is right and at the end harpers ferry to philly is an easy train ride (HF to DC, DC to Philly), i can even pick u up in harpers ferry.

Zim
03-05-2012, 21:40
hooch is right and at the end harpers ferry to philly is an easy train ride (HF to DC, DC to Philly), i can even pick u up in harpers ferry.

Haha thanks, I may take you up on that

Wise Old Owl
03-05-2012, 23:01
So let me get this straight. you want to drop of the car in PHL and get a ride to the trail? $$ might be a few bucks

So PM me.

Zim
03-05-2012, 23:41
So let me get this straight. you want to drop of the car in PHL and get a ride to the trail? $$ might be a few bucks

So PM me.

Well, no, I was unclear I guess. The desired plan is to drive from LA to Erwin and pay someone to take my car to Philly. Of course, if that won't work, I'll consider other options.