PDA

View Full Version : which water filter to purchase.......???....

jelloitsalive
03-05-2012, 19:20
Ive got it narrowed down to 2 water purifiers but open to other suggestions..... Any past experineces or info on these 2 water purifiers would greatly be appriciated ----------MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or MSR SweetWater Water Filter

Thank you

Hiking Man
03-05-2012, 21:31
You are going to get so many answers for this on here. Some people will say you don't need to use anything to treat the water and they have hiked xxx amount of miles and have never gotten sick. Other people will say go with drops of some kind because filters can break or clog.

As for me i went with the sweetwater and love it. I have never had any problem out of the pump breaking or the filter clogging and the water always tastes great with no floaties. Which was a big reason i went with a filter. After a long day on the trail and you get into camp i want some cold clean tasting water and sometimes with drops you don't get that. Really which ever filter you choose out of those two you are going to get a really great filter.

Papa D
03-05-2012, 21:34
This type of post has been repeated so many times ...... they all clog, break, freeze, and weigh enough to qualify as (in my opinion) the number one item sent home by thru hikers. I happen to own (two, I think) Pur Hiker Pros - formerly Katadyn - good filter for weekend backpacking - skip for a thru and do Aqua - Mira - that's my 2 cents ....

coheterojo
03-05-2012, 21:46
ditto on the Aquamira drops. I started w a Hiker Pro but left it behind at a shelter (inadvertently) and never looked back. I rarely use the drops to be honest with you. No need at all if you're cooking.

Senor Jalapeno
03-05-2012, 22:04
If u need to filter, i'd go with the platypus gravity works. Filters faster than a pump, and waaaayyyy less likely to break. (No moving parts)

Drybones
03-05-2012, 22:20
I hope you dont make my mistake(s)...have 3 filters and every brand tablet and drops made and I'm using bleech which cost almost nothing. 1 oz should get me to ME.

brian039
03-05-2012, 23:16
Aqua-mira. If you're turned off about drinking from ponds have your filter sent to you in NH or Maine. I had a Sweetwater and hated it, too much work, frustration, freezing, clogging, breaking, and losing the foam thingy that keeps the pre-filter off the stream-bottom.

ScottP
03-05-2012, 23:56
on the AT I'm a just drink-er. backup dropper bottle of bleach/aqua mira for suspect water isn't a horrible inconvenience to carry.

That being said, I have caught giardia. But it was out west drinking green water the consistency of tomato soup. 40 miles to the next water. I treated with bleach that I filled up at a trail angel's house. It was probably past its lifespan (bleach has a short shelf life)

:/

Bucho
03-06-2012, 00:15
I've spent 6 months filtering all my water through a sweetwater and I have to say that I'm not a fan. The flow rate was terrible and looking at the numbers on the MiniWorks EX it's even worse and it weighs a pound. Do you really wan't to have to pump 85 times to get a liter because I have to say that I hated that.

Here's the filter that I used in '05 and liked a lot better than the sweetwater because it's 48 strokes per liter: http://www.rei.com/product/830746/katadyn-hiker-water-filter It's still popular though not so much among thru hikers because it's still in the conventional filter weight range.

Here's another pump filter that I haven't used but I've been really impressed by the hollow fiber technology in gravity and inline filters and according to the stats it's lighter and only takes 20 strokes per liter: http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/fast-and-light-water-treatment-and-hydration/hyperflow-microfilter/product

The most common solution I saw last year was aquamira but if your not a fan of chemicals the new hollow fiber filters that I've used are pretty cool the technology works great in both gravity and inline setups.

jelloitsalive
03-06-2012, 00:37
yeah ive heard alot of good things about water filters and alot of bad..... But Im just lookin to start out with 2-4 day hikes locally MD/PA sections so I figure if I dont like it for the A.T it will stiill be a usefull tool. But yeah the Sweetwater looks pretty good. thanks

jelloitsalive
03-06-2012, 00:40
This looks badass ill have to check more into it...... thanks for the link

Feral Bill
03-06-2012, 00:41
I have used the Mini Works happily for several years. I'd be concerned about winter freezing, though.

Bucho
03-06-2012, 00:43
If u need to filter, i'd go with the platypus gravity works. Filters faster than a pump, and waaaayyyy less likely to break. (No moving parts)

I like the platypus filter itself but I'm not a huge fan of the kit that comes with it. Mostly because the kit ends up being heavier and more expensive than it needs to be. I don't think the kit should come with a clean bag. I like the concept of filtering directly into my hydration bladder via quick connect a lot better like in this setup: http://www.rei.com/product/786392/sawyer-water-filter-system-2-liter Cutting out the clean bag saves time because you don't have to transfer the water into your hydration bag and saves about $30. Unfortunatly I'm not the biggest fan of Sawyers dirty bag. It's heavier and not as nice.

My solution was to buy the filter separate http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter and put together my own kit to use it as a gravity filter.

Bucho
03-06-2012, 00:55
I have used the Mini Works happily for several years. I'd be concerned about winter freezing, though.

Water expands when it freezes, that's an issue with every filter, there are no exceptions. When using any of the filters out there you need to make sure not to let water in them freeze either by getting the water out or by keeping them warm.

Duramax22
03-06-2012, 01:16
Sawyer squeeze only weighs 3oz and has a million gallon guarantee

Bucho
03-06-2012, 01:47
Sawyer squeeze only weighs 3oz and has a million gallon guarantee

There are also a couple of Sawyer filters (with the 1 million gallon guarentee) that can be used inline that they claim are 1.8 ounces that actually weigh more like 2.5oz and you could could hook up the Platypus filter that's actually 1.8oz inline http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-07016-GravityWorks-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B00453ULCA

So there are a number of ultralight filter solutions out there that are comparable weight wise to aquamira and are easier to use.

Papa D
03-06-2012, 09:04
yeah ive heard alot of good things about water filters and alot of bad..... But Im just lookin to start out with 2-4 day hikes locally MD/PA sections so I figure if I dont like it for the A.T it will stiill be a usefull tool. But yeah the Sweetwater looks pretty good. thanks

If you are just doing 2-4 day hikes and don't mind the weight (which you totally would as a long distance hiker), I'd suggest the Katadyn Hiker Pro - it operates fairly smoothly - - I have never liked the lever arm on the Sweetwater and have seen them break - they also pump a good deal slower. Also, get a coffee filter and rubber band it around the pre-filter - this will help with clogging (for a while) -- see my earlier post about NOT taking a filter too -- if you are going to "build-up" to where you are a long distance hiker, you might as well start hiking like one. ;)

banjo_dog
03-06-2012, 13:00
I've been using a mini works for over three years now and love it. It is completely field strip-able and has never given me any problems. I carried it for 1500 miles of the trail last year, and many miles out west. sure its a little 'slow' but what are you in a hurry for?

Emily Harper
03-06-2012, 13:43
if you're going to use drops just use bleach it's cheaper and does the same exact thing. Yeah I'm one who carried aqua mira but mostly just drank straight from the streams - with no regrets.

Feral Bill
03-06-2012, 15:02
if you're going to use drops just use bleach it's cheaper and does the same exact thing. Yeah I'm one who carried aqua mira but mostly just drank straight from the streams - with no regrets. Simply and dangerously not true. Chlorine dioxide (what you get from Aquamira) is a much more potent oxidizer than elemental chlorine (what you get from bleach). Bleach has been shown to not kill Giarida or Cryptosporidium in any reasonable amount of time, as has been referenced repeatedly in threads on Whiteblaze. Many people drink untreated water with no problems, others are not so lucky. If you choose to treat, use something that works on all likely pathogens.

JustADude
03-06-2012, 15:21
Honestly, I'm considering the same two...right now I'm leaning toward the mini b/c of the reviews of the replacement filters. From what I can tell the replacement filter of the sweetwater has caused issues with folks, but the mini replacement filter is good to go, except freezing or dropping hard, but that is true for both.

birdygal
03-06-2012, 21:05
I have a Miniworks that I have used with no problems, But like others have mentioned it is not light, I didn't want to use chemicals so I got a sawyer for my thru hike , For shorter hikes I will still use my Miniworks

Bucho
03-06-2012, 23:13
Many people drink untreated water with no problems, others are not so lucky. If you choose to treat, use something that works on all likely pathogens.

Yeah a lot of people do that and only a few of my friends got giardia.

Bucho
03-06-2012, 23:15
From what I can tell the replacement filter of the sweetwater has caused issues with folks

I didn't have any trouble with mine but that was years ago, what have you been hearing?

jelloitsalive
03-08-2012, 23:40
Yeah I probally will go with the MSR MiniWorks they both seem good but with the sweetwater I saw a few reviews about having to take special care of keeping the clean and dirty hoses separated to avoid contamination. Dont know if the people are being over critical or what but. Either way I probally am gona go with the mini works

turtle fast
03-09-2012, 13:40
When I filter I use a First Need purifier...yes, its extra weight and it needs to be back flushed once in a while and has a prefilter...but their is nothing like drinking cool purified water right away that just came from a beaver pond...instead of waiting 4 hours to drink. Normally I use Aqua Mira. I filter or boil most suspect or quasi suspect water. A lot of people talk about Giardia, Cryptosporidium, ecoli, etc...but nobody talks about tapeworm anymore....water bodies, especially in the north where Moose, wolf and beaver are have tapeworm eggs.

JustADude
03-09-2012, 13:51
I didn't have any trouble with mine but that was years ago, what have you been hearing?

Use all feedback with caution, but on Amazon the filter get 3 out of 5 stars for 5 reviewers and 3.5 out of 8 on REI for 8 reviewers (and similar reviews of the replacement filter when looking at Google Shopping). Problems were all over the place and some looked like user error, but the mini replacement filter had none of that.

I know it will be a good long while before having to replace the filter, but I would like it to be as painless/brainless/bulletproof as possible.

Furlough
03-09-2012, 22:43
Ive got it narrowed down to 2 water purifiers but open to other suggestions..... Any past experineces or info on these 2 water purifiers would greatly be appriciated ----------MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or MSR SweetWater Water Filter
Thank you

I like my sweetwater. Highly recommend it.

bflorac
03-10-2012, 00:10
I have use the MSR Mircoflow and the Katadyn Pro. I switched to the Pro when I started pumping water for two people as I found the Microflow could clog and the back flushing is almost impossible to do in the field. The nice thing about the pump is that I can just pump water right into my hydration pouch without taking it out of my pack by disconnecting the bit valve. This year, I'm looking at the Sawyer Squeeze Filter (http://www.rei.com/product/837824/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter). Less weight and less space. I'll be heading to REI to check it out...

Bucho
03-10-2012, 18:28
Yeah as far as conventional filters go the Katadyn Hiker Pro is awesome, I'm also a fan of the quick connect valves.

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2012, 18:39
Aqua-mira. If you're turned off about drinking from ponds have your filter sent to you in NH or Maine. I had a Sweetwater and hated it, too much work, frustration, freezing, clogging, breaking, and losing the foam thingy that keeps the pre-filter off the stream-bottom.

Dittos uhh message too short - I hated Sweet Water!

cabbagehead
03-10-2012, 19:26
I've met people who have used inline hollow fiber matrix gravity filters for long periods of time without any problems.

advantages
- the lightest
- no pumping
- fast flow
- easy to backflow
- The filter doesn't get clogged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGhrimn2-vs

Bucho
03-10-2012, 21:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGhrimn2-vs

I love the sawyer 3 way as an inline filter, but this video uses a more complicated connecter setup then is needed. All it takes is a male connector on the dirty side of the hose and female connector on the clean side.

SylvanHiker
03-13-2012, 10:50
Has anyone had extensive experience with the Sawyer Squeeze water filter? It looks very convenient and it has an editor's choice from Backpacker.

Moose2001
03-13-2012, 11:15
If you're going to carry a filter, go with the Hiker Pro. It's the most common on the trail. Easy to use, faster than the MSR filters and it's easy to find replacement filters.

bessiebreeze
03-13-2012, 23:03
Try Iodine tablets - the lightest weight and the cheapest.

Bessie breeze

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 23:09

Bessie breeze
please be aware to try this at home with a Phone next to you - after two days I was very sick due to Iodine in Canada!

Bucho
03-14-2012, 00:18
Bessie breeze

If you brought a few tablets from this http://www.rei.com/product/407071/potable-aqua-iodine-tablets with you in a ziploc it would be lighter but by my math it would cost $405 to filter as much water as this does http://www.rei.com/product/813800/platypus-gravityworkscleanstream-replacement-cartridge

Also if you bring the whole bottle the iodine would be heavier.

Bucho
03-14-2012, 00:20
If you brought a few tablets from this http://www.rei.com/product/407071/potable-aqua-iodine-tablets with you in a ziploc it would be lighter but by my math it would cost $405 to filter as much water as this does http://www.rei.com/product/813800/platypus-gravityworkscleanstream-replacement-cartridge

Also if you bring the whole bottle the iodine would be heavier.

Plus iodine tastes terrible, takes 30 min, stains and doesn't work on Cryptosporidium

STICK
03-14-2012, 07:39
I will be picking up the Sawyer Squeeze with my REI dividend. It will be just enough!

I have had a Hiker Pro in the past and sold it as all the hoses and balancing acts were no fun. Not to mention it was heavy, but it did work well. Just not for me.

I also recently picked up the 3 way inline filter from Sawyer but sent it back. It was heavier than advertised when dry, and especially when wet which is what the filter will be after using it the first time on a trip.

My main water treatment is chemicals, preferrably the tabs but I like AM drops too. But I think the Sawyer Squeeze may be a nice change up every once in a while...ill see anyway...

q-tip
03-14-2012, 09:29
I let of of the filters and got the Steri Pen Opti. I use this for drink stops and use Aqui Mira for my bladder. Works well for me....

MaybeTomorrow
03-14-2012, 13:52
I am using AquiMira drops and a piece of 1 micro biodiesel filter cloth. The cloth has the weight of a tissue.

jdg
03-14-2012, 17:15
do u have friends with the ones you are considering? use each on a hike see which suits your needs best

cabbagehead
03-14-2012, 17:24
Mine got clogged after only a month or 2. I would of preferred an everlasting gravity filter.

cabbagehead
03-14-2012, 17:25
If you're going to carry a filter, go with the Hiker Pro. It's the most common on the trail. Easy to use, faster than the MSR filters and it's easy to find replacement filters.
Mine got clogged after only a month or 2. I would of preferred an everlasting gravity filter.

Bucho
03-19-2012, 01:16
I also recently picked up the 3 way inline filter from Sawyer but sent it back. It was heavier than advertised when dry, and especially when wet which is what the filter will be after using it the first time on a trip.

Yeah, it comes out to 2.5oz not the advertised 1.8oz, you have to go to the platypus to get a filter that's actually 1.8oz. I look forward to your review on the saywer squeeze.