PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Gear List for 4/6 Leave

psnipes
03-05-2012, 22:25
It's rough but all of the "important" stuff is there, I think o_O. Anything stand out as missing?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AibmnkAseH75dE5yREpCaXBJbFhpWmIxeEtBTHpPV 0E#gid=0
I know y'all are sick of these questions by wannabe thru-hikers but thanks for any time y'all put into reading my stuff.

swjohnsey
03-05-2012, 22:41
Probably don't need the footprint. Paracord is overkill to hang food with. I have a Sansa MP3 player that I like. Has AM/FM radio, uses one AAA battery. A Lithium battery last several days. Bring a camera for sure. I like the Precip stuff and have a set but Driducks are much lighter and cheap.

Spokes
03-05-2012, 23:30
This is a pretty good looking list. I agree paracord is overkill. Get 60 ft of 2mm nylon cord and cut about 12 ft off to make a drying line for your wet gear in camp. You may want to add a couple small dry sacks to carry your phone/electronics in and the other for your valuables. I like being able to quickly grab and carry my valuables when in town or on the trail when you drop your pack and head down to fetch water on a lunch break before shoving off....

You'll tweak this list even more after you've been on the trail for a month. Cheers!

RodentWhisperer
03-05-2012, 23:54
+1 on the paracord. I also don't think you'd need a Platy in camp-- after all, you won't be in camp too long, and you'll probably never be more than a couple hours away from water. You do need to "think through" your first aid kit/hygiene, of course. I'd suggest talking a bit with you doctor if you haven't already. And, probably, you should consider a minimum repair kit, just enough to get you in to a resupply point (for example: duct tape, wire, safety pins, and super glue-- MacGyver did amazing things with them!).

And one more thing regarding BodyGlide: that's a good purchase, especially if you're prone to chafing. IMO, Hydropel is a necessity for preventing blisters. It's expensive ($20 for 2 oz) but well worth it.

Firefighter503
03-07-2012, 00:45
Keep both pairs of socks. I like 3 pair myself. 2 for hiking (I switch off every day at lunch) and 1 for sleeping early on. Changing socks = happy feet.

q-tip
03-07-2012, 10:33
You might want to weigh all this stuff. It is easier to know what to leave when you can see the trade off for function vs. weight. HYOH

MaybeTomorrow
03-07-2012, 12:55
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AibmnkAseH75dE5yREpCaXBJbFhpWmIxeEtBTHpPV 0E#gid=0

Sorry I have google blocked with Blocksite because of their privacy policy.

psnipes
03-07-2012, 14:42
Heya, thanks for giving it an once over all you people! So things that need to be reviewed

-# of socks, I'm going to be in sandals so I typically will not be hiking in socks, so we'll just see how it goes
-Small drysacks for electronics/valuables
-Do some weighing, evaluate overall "Is the weight of this object worth it" quotient.
-Repair/Hygiene kits
-Google is watching me

Anything I miss?