PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the trail via train/bus

eli_awry
03-06-2012, 01:02
Hi there!

I'm going to be attempting a thru in May, but for Spring Break I'm going to go to the trail for ten days to train and evaluate my gear. I don't drive but I'm going to be trying to get to the trail from Atlanta. What would be the cheapest place to start in terms of getting there? (Probably a town near a trail with a Greyhound or Amtrak station). I obviously want to stay south because of weather, but it seems like getting to Springer will be harder than maybe getting to other towns. Where should I start? Or should I just use the advice in the article to get to Springer?

Thanks!

OnlyJohn
03-06-2012, 09:06
There is both a train and bus station in Gainesville, GA. Gainesville is about forty miles from Springer.

Papa D
03-06-2012, 09:42
You could take the train to Gainsville would work - there are plenty of folks that would pick you up and shuttle. The Amtrak Cresent is fun to ride (I do it a lot in a sleeper car) but unfortunately it parallels the trail a pretty good ways to the east until you get pretty far north.

Here IS a random suggestion though. You COULD take the Cresent from Atlanta to Alexandria, VA. and then take the Amtrak Capitol Limited right into downtown Harpers Ferry, WVA - this would be a fun train ride for you - you'd get on in Atlanta at about 6:00pm and be in Alexandria the next morning - if you can afford a Viewliner Roomette - they are super cool but either way is fine. The Capitol Limited departs at 4PM and gets to Harpers Ferry about 5:00 pm - just in time for you to hike south to the David Lesser Memorial Shelter (if you are fast) before dark - it's about 8 miles or you could stay at the new Teahorse Hostel there. I'd suggest a southbound week through WVA, into Virginia and the SNP. On about your second day, you would pass the Blackburn Trail Center - you might contact them for a shuttle - I'd guess, for a new hiker trying out gear for a week, getting somewhere on Skyline Drive like Elkwallow Gap would be a good goal - drink a blackberry milkshake there if you go.

max patch
03-06-2012, 10:06
You didn't say where you are from, but a shakedown hike doesn't have to done on the AT if its a problem getting there. Can you do something close to home and save the transportation money for your thru?