PDA

View Full Version : Packs on airplanes

Rusty Nail
03-06-2012, 07:49
Who has been able to bring their bag into the cabin as a carry-on? Do you feel safe checking them and hope they don't destroy it before you get there?

Theosus
03-06-2012, 08:09
I've wondered the same thing. Just what do you do with the hip belt? I can't even lay the thing down on my bed without the belt sticking out. Remove it, maybe?

stranger
03-06-2012, 08:10
For some context...I've crossed the Pacific Ocean 31 times, to and from NY, that in itself is 62 flights, I've entered New Zealand about 25 times and entered Australia about 22 times. I've flown domestically in various countries about 40 times as well. I have never had a single problem checking my backpack, however I do take precautions.

I have a very large stuff sack, it's 16x42 or something like that, I got it from Campmor in 2001. My pack fits nice an easy into the stuff sack, I pull the drawcord, tie a knot in the cord so it doesn't open, and check my pack.

That stuff sack is still going strong, and it's filthy dirty and has a few holes...but better the $13 stuff sack than my $300 packs. Works like a charm.

As far as airlines losing things, I believe this happens very rarely, and certainly has never happened in my experience. In all those flights listed above, I had something 'misplaced' twice, one didn't make it onto the plane, the other it took a few days to track down. It's highly unlikely an airline will lose something, however I believe you chances increase when flying domestically within the US. International flights operate at a much higher standard than domestic in the US in my experience.

The safest option is to ship your stuff, but that can be pricey.

Unless your pack is very small, like 35 litres, you aren't going to be able to carry it on in all likelyhood.

Don H
03-06-2012, 08:26
When I flew to Atlanta last year I checked my pack as luggage. I put the pack in a large duffle bag with a TSA lock on it. I then shipped the duffle bag home by USPS. I was concerned about my hiking poles getting broke but I wrapped them in cardboards and tape, they survived.

garlic08
03-06-2012, 08:34
When I flew to Atlanta, I was able to carry my pack on. I packed with that in mind--no knife (bough a pack of razor blades when I landed), no stove. I alerted TSA that I had trekking poles and tent stakes and they told me no problem. If you say the poles are walking aids (duh), supposedly that's allowed.

But another time I was boarding in Chicago with the same pack and TSA would not pass it and I had to check it. They told me the trekking poles were illegal. But boarding that same flight to Denver were several other hikers with trekking poles on their carry-ons. Go figure. I guess it depends on the TSA agent, and you do NOT argue with them.

You can fly hundreds of times with no problems with checked luggage, but that one time can really be a pain. Hopefully it comes on the flight home after the trip.

QiWiz
03-07-2012, 18:50
I've taken my pack as carry on on multiple flights, but it's pretty small (gossamer gear gorilla) and goes into overhead compartment easily. I do buckle my hipbelt around the front of pack so it does not stick out. I either send through as checked baggage or mail ahead or purchase when I get there things the TSA will not allow or sometimes will not allow, like blades, trekking poles, and fuel.

mountainman
03-07-2012, 19:44
I still my poles into pack, they stick out about 8or9 inches. Use rope to tie all loose straps so they don't hang on conveyer. No fuel but everything else can go.

swjohnsey
03-07-2012, 19:48
I'm gonna put my pack in a cardboard box and check it, throw the box away when I arrive in Atlanta.

brian039
03-07-2012, 20:07
Get to the airport early and try to get it through security, the worst that will happen is they will tell you to check it. I've gotten some pretty ridiculously large packs through security before, though sometimes I'm told that I have to check it. If you can get your trekking poles to fit inside your pack you probably have it made.

mateozzz
03-07-2012, 21:19
I check my pack with the poles inside it and just put my pack cover on it. I wrap the hip belt around backwards to make it lay flat. I also tie up all the loose straps and tie the shoulder straps together to give the luggage handlers something safe to grab. Definitely don't want to leave anything dangling to be yanked or caught in a conveyor. I figure the pack cover is only $30 so if it gets ripped, big deal.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2012, 21:30
It really doesn't cost that much to ship a pack via UPS and you don't have to worry what's in it. A whole lot less if they happen to make you check it. The peace of mind is priceless.