PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone fish on thier hikes...

joedperk
03-06-2012, 17:31
I never see anyone commenting about fishing on their hikes on the AT... being outdoorsmen you would think there would be a few comments on this... Does anyone fish on Hikes?

d.o.c
03-06-2012, 17:37
i had a buddy who carried a rod off and on during his hike i dont think he ever caught a fish the whole time.... i meet some locals at a bar near that fire tower in jersey and they let me use a rod in the pond behind the bar i caught a nice size bass.. but it seems most are concerned with miles during a thru hike not fishing.

Majortrauma
03-06-2012, 17:56
Tried it once with no success but we're giving it a another try this spring.

Slo-go'en
03-06-2012, 18:24
First, you need a fishing license for each state you want to fish in. Being caught without a license can cause you no end of trouble.

While there are a few streams/rivers large enough to fish in, there aren't that many and many of those you sure wouldn't want to eat the fish out of.

So, bascially, not worth the time, trouble or expense.

bigcranky
03-06-2012, 19:02
What Slo said. There are some places where you can spend a few days hiking and fishing, if fishing is the primary goal. Some nice trout streams in the Southern Appalachians. But the A.T. often follows the ridgelines, too high for fishing, and the larger streams and rivers in the valleys are usually full of agricultural runoff.

There are some nice places out West where it's useful to carry a rod (and a license.) The Sierra Nevada range comes to mind.

brian039
03-06-2012, 19:07
I only saw one thru-hiker attempt to fish, he caught a small trout at a pond on the climb up Saddleback Mt in Maine. It just wouldn't be worth the time if you're trying to complete the trail though. It may be worth it on a day off in town if you wanted to but then you have to go to the trouble of getting a license and renting gear.

Migrating Bird
03-06-2012, 19:17
I fished every day from Katahdin to Andover and shipped my fly rod home from there. Caught a lot of brook trout starting in Baxter the day before we climbed Katahdin. One of the highlights was on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, catching and releasing many trout at Horns Pond and a young girl was there with her Grandparents, I asked her if she wanted to catch a trout - it was her first fish she ever caught. I took a zero in Andover and fished the Ellis River and caught a number of brookies. It was early June and they were hitting a black gnat, go figure! Also used the canoe that was at Little Swift River Pond, nice brookies. Also caught fish at Cooper Brook, Pierce Pond - right in front of the shelter. You need to pay close attention to the fishing regulations in Me. and know where you are fishing.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2012, 22:13
I never see anyone commenting about fishing on their hikes on the AT... being outdoorsmen you would think there would be a few comments on this... Does anyone fish on Hikes?

hikers aren't "outdoorsmen". most are scared of the "outdoors" and most don't have the time or any idea how to fish. gotta make miles and eat snickers for dinner and cram into a wooden box for the night. i'm serious too

Derek81pci
03-06-2012, 22:42
True story.

fiddlehead
03-06-2012, 22:47
Depends on the trail. Not so easy on the AT.
And with almost any trail, it helps to know where you'll have the best chance.

I have a friend who hardly carries any food on certain hikes, just his fishing rod and a frying pan.
He never goes hungry that I've seen, when I've hiked with him.

Montana, CO, CA, even places in WY can be awesome.

mirabela
03-06-2012, 22:50
I'd agree, most thru-hikers are a bit preoccupied with the hiking project and besides there are lengthy stretches where fishing stuff would be pointless weight. However ... there are some areas where it could make a hike more fun if it's what you're into. Vermont and Maine come to mind, but I recall certain small ponds full of cruising bass in various southern sections too. I'd say it's somewhat incompatible with how most thru-hikers go about things, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work for you. My on my very-first-ever long section hike (North Adams to Brandon Gap on the AT then LT, 1987) I carried a fly rod & got use out of it at City Stream, Stratton Pond, the Winhall River, Little Rock Pond, and Big Branch. There were other spots I could have fished but I was focused on getting someplace too. I had some fun. It's nothing like what you can do on a long weekend's leisurely loop hike from lake to lake to lake in the northern Sierra, though.

joedperk
03-06-2012, 23:52
Thanks guy... was just curious... will hike a small portion of the AT this August and if all goes well and I enjoy it... will try going the distance in 2013.. new to hiking but not to camping and being outdoors... hopefully this new adventure will take up some of my retirement years...

Mike2012
03-07-2012, 01:22
hikers aren't "outdoorsmen". most are scared of the "outdoors" and most don't have the time or any idea how to fish. gotta make miles and eat snickers for dinner and cram into a wooden box for the night. i'm serious too

lol i forgot to put snickers in my maildrops

coach lou
03-07-2012, 09:13
The AT runs along ridges, it does cross or come near some Blue Ribbon Trout streams. To carry a fly rod for those few times on a long distance hike just doesn't work out. It can be done, it has been done, I have even done it... but, better is to backpack into trout country to fish. That can be done in many areas on the east coast, and alot of fun in the Rockies!

Nutbrown
03-07-2012, 09:17
Look at tenkara rods. They are fly rods without a reel. You can pick up a fake one on ebay for 1/2 the price. They are still expensive, but only weigh a few oz + flies. Telescope from 18" to 12' It was nice in Slickrock, NC.

coach lou
03-07-2012, 09:29
[QUOTE=fiddlehead;1263955]

I have a friend who hardly carries any food on certain hikes, just his fishing rod and a frying pan.
He never goes hungry that I've seen, when I've hiked with him.

"Leave no trace" in fly fishing translates into "Catch & Release"

OBXWaMi
03-07-2012, 11:40
As seen on TV... anyone remember the Ronco Pocket Fisherman?? They are now available at WalMart.

Montana AT05
03-07-2012, 18:56

Very true. And if I mention anything about man-beards, wanna bet what will happen?

Lone Wolf
03-07-2012, 18:59
Very true. And if I mention anything about man-beards, wanna bet what will happen?

man-beards? are there any other kinds?

Montana AT05
03-07-2012, 19:38
man-beards? are there any other kinds?

Yes, Lone Wolf, but if I describe why, this post will get deleted, feel free to PM me if you feel like reading a tongue-in-cheek rant. Heh.

Back to the OP--when I first envisioned a thru-hike, I saw myself lounging for hours in a spare hammock I had planned to pack, enjoying hours of lazy sunshine along a lakeside, wistfully pondering man's place in nature, coming up with thoughtful deep-thinking quotes of my own...and if I was a fisherman (who actually knew what to do with a fish once caught, which I don't) I would have imagined fishing a lot as well.

Reality? I spent as much time hiking as possible, and when it wasn't possible (usually due to my foot pain stopping for me the day) my time was spent eating out of my food bag (snickers as Lone Wolf mentions), rubbing my feet, trying to walk a minimal distance due to hiker hobble, reading the shelter registers, swatting bugs, etc. And it was WONDERFUL (strangely enough).

My deep-thoughts turned out to be more about deep-dish apple pie or deep-dish pizza. And again, it was WONDERFUL. A thru-hike is a fine fine thing.

Truth is, a thru-hike is a very hard mental effort that leaves little time for things like fishing, rock-hounding, bird-watching and certainly hunting. All those things are great, but if you thru-hike, chances are they'll fall to the way-side in favor of miles.

Lugh
03-07-2012, 19:44
How about gigging frogs? Does that fall under fishing? Do you need a license?

BigRing
03-07-2012, 19:51
I spend a lot of time backpacking with the sole purpose of hiking to reach remote flyfishing streams....SNP has some of the best flyfishing around. W. VA also has some great streams and you can purchase a license for the weekend.

rocketsocks
03-07-2012, 20:08
How about gigging frogs? Does that fall under fishing? Do you need a license?Yes,It does.At Least in NJ.

thepokerkid227
03-07-2012, 22:58
Once I hit the section in my homesate of CT that follows the housatonic river up in Kent, I plan on doing some flyfishing that day! :)

coach lou
03-07-2012, 23:12
I spend a lot of time backpacking with the sole purpose of hiking to reach remote flyfishing streams....SNP has some of the best flyfishing around. W. VA also has some great streams and you can purchase a license for the weekend.
I tried to rush my spring once by driving down to SNP and got the guide books and maps, to just fish for those brookies. I had to hike miles down all those gaps to find fishable water with a 3wt., many miles from the AT. Had some luck near President Hoovers Camp. The ticks weren't so bad that early.

coach lou
03-07-2012, 23:14
Once I hit the section in my homesate of CT that follows the housatonic river up in Kent, I plan on doing some flyfishing that day! :)
In that section of the Housey the smallmouths are thick!

thepokerkid227
03-07-2012, 23:22
You bet it is! I was just there the other day going after them, I would have to say after growing up in CT and fishing it my whole life, its ONE OF the best in New England :D

Mike2012
03-07-2012, 23:28
Does anyone hike on their fish?

Grampie
03-08-2012, 09:35
I like to fish and considered bring some gear along on my thru. Settled for a couple of hooks and about 30' of mono line wraped around a piece of cardboard. All through the south I only fished once using small crawfish for bait. Caught nothing. Most of the time I was not near any good fishing water or else I was just too tired after hiking all day to fish.
In Maine I camped on the shore of East Carry Pond. Caught three small but nice native brook trout. I cooked them up and ate them for supper. This made it worth while taking the gear.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2013, 19:35
How about gigging frogs? Does that fall under fishing? Do you need a license?

I am so calling the SPCA & PITA and the Ethical Stop Gigging for my dinner!

24819 So totally joking - is this the humor thread.... stop laughing... really.... I like legs:rolleyes:...

aficion
11-11-2013, 20:18
I sometimes carry a handline. Jennings Creek has more trout than hikers most days. Lotta frogs around in summertime along the trail. Punchbowl Shelter comes to mind. Never carried a gig though. If I were in survival mode I probably would carry a gig head. Frogs are tasty.

Malto
11-11-2013, 20:25
I tried to rush my spring once by driving down to SNP and got the guide books and maps, to just fish for those brookies. I had to hike miles down all those gaps to find fishable water with a 3wt., many miles from the AT. Had some luck near President Hoovers Camp. The ticks weren't so bad that early.

I camped every other weekend for 18 months just downstream from hovers camp on the Rapidan. Used to feed the trout corn so there be some big ones in there.

aficion
11-11-2013, 20:30
I camped every other weekend for 18 months just downstream from hovers camp on the Rapidan. Used to feed the trout corn so there be some big ones in there.

Went to school 2 years on the Rapidan. A liitle too far downstream for native trout though.

fishfeet
11-12-2013, 13:25
Youll pass literally 3 places to fish during the first 800 miles from springer. but after that i gets alot better. i had a handline but i got rid of it after like the first 800 miles lol.

Dogwood
11-12-2013, 19:43
Youll pass literally 3 places to fish during the first 800 miles from springer....

I bet not.

Wise Old Owl
11-12-2013, 20:45
Note to self Never use Pita in a sentence....