PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper

gsimp18
03-06-2012, 18:38
How are you all handling toilet paper. I am not someone who can only bring 1/4 of a roll for a week. I need a full roll. Don't ask why, but anyways are there ways in which i can buy only one roll at a time?

DavidNH
03-06-2012, 18:43
your main concern won't be weather you bring one or more rolls at a time, but keeping the toilet paper dry. To me that means double and triple bagging it. Not much worse than sopping wet toilet paper.

also, often times, there will be TP in the out house, and there's nearly always an outhouse near shelters. I don't think you can only get one roll at a time. I've only seen tp in 4 and six roll packs. So by 4 or six.. then separate into mail drops.

DavidNH

turtle fast
03-06-2012, 18:47
Yep, many stores sell toilet paper by the roll...unfortunately it is the 1 ply stuff and it is not worth your while to unroll it to take the cardboard tube out...just smoosh it down and put into a zip lock bag. You seriously have to protect it in a ziplock bag and keep dry because if it gets wet its ruined. Many hikers have less bowel movements as you eat less than you would at home. Many have toilet paper in their food drops as well and you can find it a lot in hiker boxes at hostels and post offices.

Hooch
03-06-2012, 18:52
Scott tisue sells single rolls of TP. Even if you can't find it, buy pack of 4 and split them up into bounce boxes or have other hikers give you a small amount for a roll.

Don H
03-06-2012, 19:11
Go ultralight, use leaves, you'll never run out ;)

kennybrae
03-06-2012, 19:14
Use paper towel it works great and you're not trying to flush it so disposal isn't going to plug the plumbing.

CrumbSnatcher
03-06-2012, 19:17
2 rolls out of every town :-)
its not called toliet paper its called mountain money

RWheeler
03-06-2012, 19:43
its not called toliet paper its called mountain money

I prefer the term booty booty.

Half Note
03-06-2012, 20:58
^---I chuckled.

ScottP
03-06-2012, 21:02
moss works great. And snow. And leaves

jeffmeh
03-06-2012, 21:44
moss works great. And snow. And leaves

Up north we prefer either Moose Maple or American Bass Wood.

quilteresq
03-06-2012, 22:11
Go ultralight, use leaves, you'll never run out ;)

Seriously didn't have to look to know you're a guy!

FarmRookie 2015
03-06-2012, 22:11
Corn cob. They can be cleaned and reused.

RWheeler
03-06-2012, 22:17
Corn cob. They can be cleaned and reused.

Plus they exfoliate.

Slo-go'en
03-06-2012, 22:25
I seriously wonder if those avicating the use of leaves or moss have actually ever done so. If they have, they would never again. But then, maybe they have and just want to try and get others to have the same unpleasent experiance of making a nasty mess down there too.

The first BM after a town stop is always a messy one for me-- too much greasy food.

hbc2194
03-06-2012, 22:41
I actually DID lol.

Papa D
03-06-2012, 22:48
I cannot believe that no one has posted this yet since it is such a standard practice:

1) dig cat hole or use privy
2) assuming cat-hole, wrap 2-3 sheets of t.p. inside leaves - this adds "bulk" that you are used to
3) bury it (or if in privy, add duff)

I only use 2-3 sheets of t.p. even at home - I can't imagine using as much as you wastefully suggest .... sorry

MuddyWaters
03-06-2012, 23:46
Defecating in the squat position, as nature intended you to, leaves your backside cleaner, because the cheeks are spread so there is less "collateral damage".

I know, some hefty folks cant.

A bowl per day of oatmeal, is also a wonder aid. It makes the poo slick and slimey with a clear slime. It also doesnt smell.

Much of our bowel issues are related to improper diet high in refined foods, stuff our bodies werent designed to eat and process.

Seriously, eat oatmeal for breakfast, squat. Clean up with natural materials, as much as you can. Then finish the job with 1 wet-wipe.

I go every other day, and a small ziplock with a dozen wet-wipes in my cargo pocket on pants leg can last me almost a month if not used for anything else.

RWheeler
03-06-2012, 23:53
With a name like MuddyWaters, that has got to be some prime intel.

ScottP
03-06-2012, 23:57
I seriously wonder if those avicating the use of leaves or moss have actually ever done so. If they have, they would never again. But then, maybe they have and just want to try and get others to have the same unpleasent experiance of making a nasty mess down there too.

The first BM after a town stop is always a messy one for me-- too much greasy food.

Guess I'm just an armchair hiker

Drybones
03-07-2012, 00:08
Up north we prefer either Moose Maple or American Bass Wood.

Down south we use poison ivy, thistle leaves, and corn cobs.

Drybones
03-07-2012, 00:16

Before I developed the discipline to carry TP I have used everything nature has to offer. Out west last spring & running low on TP (the elevation does a number on your plumbing) there was a plant with large, velvety soft leaves that I'd put right up there with the real thing.

Mike2012
03-07-2012, 01:17
if you run out of TP you can cut the tops off your socks and the sleeves off your shirts. Gotta do when you gotta doo.

turtle fast
03-07-2012, 03:43
Unfortunately, I wonder how much toilet paper a hostel goes through or a diner or fast food joint that is near the trail. I know some hikers use the toilet and take a few turns extra into the forest. Probably a good way to piss off a business owner...especially if the rolls go missing.

Lugh
03-07-2012, 04:55
Use paper towels...no way, no how am i going to use leaves.

mgeiger
03-07-2012, 07:43
A friend of mine once come out of the woods wearing one sock.

Dobie Swift
03-07-2012, 08:44
How are you all handling toilet paper. I am not someone who can only bring 1/4 of a roll for a week. I need a full roll. Don't ask why, but anyways are there ways in which i can buy only one roll at a time?

New trail name: WholeRoll

msupple
03-07-2012, 08:55
Plus they exfoliate.

Good one!!

swjohnsey
03-07-2012, 09:23
Muddy Waters nailed it, spread them butt cheeks. TP was developed to work with modern plumbing. A paper towel or a wet wipe will work better. If you really want to go green use a piece of washrag you carry in a Ziploc and quit leaving those white flowers all along the trail.

Pedaling Fool
03-07-2012, 10:11
If you really want to go green use a piece of washrag you carry in a Ziploc and quit leaving those white flowers all along the trail.I don't care how eco-friendly one is; I don't think anyone wants to be that green:D

Nutbrown
03-07-2012, 10:20
It also doesnt smell.

Are you really saying your ***** don't stink?!

swjohnsey
03-07-2012, 10:25
Have you ever wondered how Meriwether Lewis wiped his butt? Or Cleopatra?

Pedaling Fool
03-07-2012, 10:32
Have you ever wondered how Meriwether Lewis wiped his butt? Or Cleopatra?There's a lot of things we ALL do nowadays compared to the way things were done when those individuals lived. You're responsible for burning much more coal and other fuels now then they did. Are you going to stop those activities, because they didn't have them? Of course not.

RWheeler
03-07-2012, 10:34
I'm pretty sure Cleopatra had servants whose sole duties (eh, pun intended I suppose) were to serve as a bidet, essentially. Pour water out of a pitcher, apply some perfume, etc.

Lewis and Clark... now that's something I never thought of.

swjohnsey
03-07-2012, 10:44
Ancient Romans used a sponge on a stick. I think Iranians still use a rock. Only about half Earth's human population has access to a flush toilet.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2012, 11:25
TP and the flush toilet are two of the most under rated inventions of the industrial revolution!

turtle fast
03-07-2012, 11:26
Most would not realize it but most of the world uses their hand and then washes it off. That is why in the middle east the right hand is used for greetings and eating the left hand is for wiping/splashing water on the rear. Near the open squat holes a pitcher of water is there sometimes if their is not a sink. Southeast asia its the same, especially in rural areas. That is why hepatitis is such a concern.

CrumbSnatcher
03-07-2012, 11:30
are we still talking about this s*** :-)

bamboo bob
03-07-2012, 11:54
I only use 2-3 sheets of t.p. even at home - I can't imagine using as much as you wastefully suggest .... sorry[/QUOTE]

You got that right. I don't think I used more than 1 of those travel size rolls for every 500 miles. Also I have used moss and leaves and i would never use either on purpose. There are video that show you how to use water and your hand. That's really hard core. My dog used his tongue.

CrumbSnatcher
03-07-2012, 12:23
you have used moss and leaves but not on purpose, what the hell does that mean? you were reaching for your toliet paper but pick up leaves instead without knowing. i said i will leave town with up to 2 rolls, didn't say anything about using all all it, gave away TP to alot of people over the years that ran out, or they were gram counting weenies that didn't carry enough and ran out.

Red Hat
03-07-2012, 12:31
can't believe no one has mentioned wetones! I carry a pack of 15 and it lasts between town stops. One will do for each bm. Be sure to dig a hole and bury everything. Keep hand sanitizer handy (I clip it to my straps).

CrumbSnatcher
03-07-2012, 12:41
can't believe no one has mentioned wetones! I carry a pack of 15 and it lasts between town stops. One will do for each bm. Be sure to dig a hole and bury everything. Keep hand sanitizer handy (I clip it to my straps).
if you mean wet wipes post #18 if you meant something else, i apoligize
are you suppose to bury wetwipes?

CrumbSnatcher
03-07-2012, 12:50
they do make a brand of wet wipes thats flushable

Slo-go'en
03-07-2012, 12:59
they do make a brand of wet wipes thats flushable

Colman sells some which are non-scented and claim to be bio-degradable in 30 days. For off the shelf grocery store wet wipes, I put the used ones into a zip lock and burn them in a fire pit when I get the chance. I use them for a final wipe, so aren't too soiled.

atmilkman
03-07-2012, 13:13
Using bodyglide or petroleum jelly also helps with the ease of cleanup and chaffing. Start out with a little on, do your duty, one wipe with tp, one with wetwipe, new jelly, good to go. Been doing it this way for a long time. Clean up is a breeze. (that sounds like a commercial doesn't it)

rocketsocks
03-07-2012, 13:27
I'm working on a back packable "Bidet"that uses tree triple A batteries and makes use of a automobile windshield wiper pump.Doubles as a drinking fountain,fire extinguisher and wishing well,cause lets face it everybody has got an extra penny for others thoughts,or two cent's to throw in.

rocketsocks
03-07-2012, 13:42
Sorry,fourples as a......the later were after thoughts.

gsimp18
03-07-2012, 13:50
New trail name: WholeRoll

I literally just fell over laughing when I saw this. I might just have to take up that name haha

rocketsocks
03-07-2012, 13:53
That is funny but I think you spelled it wrong"Hole Roll"

rocketsocks
03-08-2012, 02:13
Naw,I'm good,u take it.

RWheeler
03-08-2012, 11:03
Someone answer me this, are there electrical outlets inside the privies? Either way, I think I found a piece of equipment (http://i.imgur.com/Yvrly.jpg) FarmRookie would really like.

Creek Dancer
03-08-2012, 17:44
Naw,I'm good,u take it.

LOL! Not sure why, but when I read your name, my brain sees "snotrocket".

rocketsocks
03-08-2012, 18:39
LOL! Not sure why, but when I read your name, my brain sees "snotrocket".your not the first!

rocketsocks
03-08-2012, 18:41
Lysdexics Untie!:)

Papa D
03-08-2012, 19:39
trail name for toilet paper is: ***** tickets

turtle fast
03-08-2012, 19:58
What about bringing along a squirt gun...a traveling bidet and use it at Trail Days or on the trail to cool off...just don't run out of water.

rocketsocks
03-08-2012, 20:47
Hope you have a permit for that.....them plumbing inspectors can be tough.;)

OnlyJohn
03-09-2012, 11:37
That is crazy as hell.

kayaker4ever
03-09-2012, 13:00
Best way to conserve on TP is as follows......Take one square of TP and fold it in half, fold that in half. Now rip off the inside corner and retain it. This will leave a hole for your finger. Now put your middle finger through the hole and wipe your butt with your finger. Now as you slide your finger out of the TP hole use the paper to wipe your finger. Now take the piece you ripped off and clean under your nail. One role should last the entire trail.

lemon b
03-09-2012, 15:30
Paper towels in plastic bag and lemon wipes.

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 15:30
Best way to conserve on TP is as follows......Take one square of TP and fold it in half, fold that in half. Now rip off the inside corner and retain it. This will leave a hole for your finger. Now put your middle finger through the hole and wipe your butt with your finger. Now as you slide your finger out of the TP hole use the paper to wipe your finger. Now take the piece you ripped off and clean under your nail. One role should last the entire trail.I thought that was a military secret?

atmilkman
03-09-2012, 17:07
You can also scoot across the shelter floor like a dog on carpet.

RWheeler
03-09-2012, 17:26
You can also scoot across the shelter floor like a dog on carpet.

Added benefit of also protecting you from other people sleeping in the shelter of sleeping too close to you!

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 17:55
You can also scoot across the shelter floor like a dog on carpet.No burn-outs in the shelter please.Dog owners must use wheely bar.

kayak karl
03-09-2012, 18:12
just use your trail guide. it's not like your turning around and you will hike faster for the each page.

Theosus
03-09-2012, 21:13
Most would not realize it but most of the world uses their hand and then washes it off. That is why in the middle east the right hand is used for greetings and eating the left hand is for wiping/splashing water on the rear. Near the open squat holes a pitcher of water is there sometimes if their is not a sink. Southeast asia its the same, especially in rural areas. That is why hepatitis is such a concern.

Great. Im left handed. Where does that leave me? Im glad I wasnt born in the middle east.

Kookork
03-10-2012, 00:59
Ancient Romans used a sponge on a stick. I think Iranians still use a rock. Only about half Earth's human population has access to a flush toilet.

Never in my whole life I heard about using rocks as toilet paper in Iran. It is not that different in Iran ( in urban areas which is 70 percent of the country) than what westerners do for toilet habits here but in some rural areas they still use their hands and then they wash their hands with water and soap. TP is always there for use and flush toilets are a norm there.

Your comment was based on wrong assumptions. It is like if I say I have heard down there in Texas you use cactus as TP. !!!!

swjohnsey
03-10-2012, 10:21
Only manly men use cactus for TP in Texas.

gsimp18
03-10-2012, 10:35
Never in my wildest dreams would i have thought my simple post spiral into this gigantic discussion. Haha. thanks for all the input everyone!

Lyle
03-10-2012, 10:43
TP is generally available in single rolls. Particularly in small convenience stores.

I have known folks who relied on leaves, cones, etc. - Usually because they ran out of TP. Works fine, but becomes a challenge if you are above treeline for several days.

If multi-packs are all that's available, I've bought one and left the rest in a hiker box or, better yet, left it at a hostel.

For those like me who normally don't need to carry a full roll, I've taken part rolls from motel or hostel bathroom, but I always replaced it with a full roll that I buy. DO NOT steal your TP. It is not a fair thing to do.

I've never found keeping it dry to be much of an issue. A good quality zip closure freezer bag has always worked well. Holds a full roll, plus there is room to slide a small sample size bottle of sanitizer in along with it.

Use caution when answering the call at a cat hole in the rain, do protect your TP. Also need to use caution on steep hillsides to prevent your roll from rolling away. Another word of caution, setting your TP on the privy seat next to you, particularly at night is asking to loose it down the hole as you brush it with your jacket when putting it back on.

Does this all sound like personal experience?

By the way, snow is marvelous, washes and wipes in one, no possibility of it being dug up, no need to pack out. Not as uncomfortable as many imagine.

Such a basic function, yet it does seem to stymie many at first.

Enjoy your hike.