PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty of section#4 from Neels Gap to Tesnatee Gap

grizzly bear 336
03-06-2012, 19:57
I am going camping at Turner's Corner just outside of Blairsville, Ga and I want to do a day hike on the AT. I am by no means a seasoned hiker, I have only done three or four day hikes ever. So my skill level is low, as well as my endurance. I am thinking about trying section#4 Neels Gap to Tesnatee Gap which is 6miles. Can someone who has hiked that section give me an idea of its difficulty? If that is a section that you wouldn't recommend for a novice, then could you suggest a section that would be better suited for my skill level? Thanks.

ChinMusic
03-06-2012, 20:11
As the AT goes it is pretty typical. You have a fairly long steady climb out of Neels which will def get your attention if you are not used to it. Given your age I would say that you should not have any "trouble". If you are healthy enough to walk 6-10 miles on flat terrain you should be OK. I think you have picked a good section.

Just take the uphill slow. Newbees have a tendency to think they gotta march right up there. Take your time. Take breaks if needed.

trucker2015
03-06-2012, 21:33
I agree,

that is a really nice section.
I have always enjoyed going sobo from Neels Gap up Blood Mountain for a day trip. Good work out with a grate view.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2012, 22:09
I am going camping at Turner's Corner just outside of Blairsville, Ga and I want to do a day hike on the AT. I am by no means a seasoned hiker, I have only done three or four day hikes ever. So my skill level is low, as well as my endurance. I am thinking about trying section#4 Neels Gap to Tesnatee Gap which is 6miles. Can someone who has hiked that section give me an idea of its difficulty? If that is a section that you wouldn't recommend for a novice, then could you suggest a section that would be better suited for my skill level? Thanks.

scale of 1 - 10, it's a 2. if you're 300lbs. +

ChinMusic
03-06-2012, 22:48

The whole southern half of the AT is a "2" to you. Why do you bother posting in these threads from newbees?

Lone Wolf
03-06-2012, 22:51
The whole southern half of the AT is a "2" to you. Why do you bother posting in these threads from newbees?

they ask a question, i answer. my experience is that it's not difficult. that's why i post. ok with you?

ChinMusic
03-06-2012, 22:54
they ask a question, i answer. my experience is that it's not difficult. that's why i post. ok with you?

I understand that it is all a 0.2 to you. I understand that you can hike from Watauga to Damacus in 8 hours with a full pack.

Most newbees are not YOU. You saying it is a 2/10 if you are 300 pounds is not helpful.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2012, 22:55
I understand that it is all a 0.2 to you. I understand that you can hike from Watauga to Damacus in 8 hours with a full pack.

Most newbees are not YOU. You saying it is a 2/10 if you are 300 pounds is not helpful.

a six mile day hike in that section ain't tough. back off

ChinMusic
03-06-2012, 22:59
a six mile day hike in that section ain't tough. back off

You have so much to offer this forum. I pay attention to your posts.

I am just disappointed that you would tell a 300-pound person that that 6-mile section is a 2 out of 10.

I agree that it is an easy section but I know what the AT is like. A newbee does not. They need a reference point.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2012, 23:05
You have so much to offer this forum. I pay attention to your posts.

I am just disappointed that you would tell a 300-pound person that that 6-mile section is a 2 out of 10.

I agree that it is an easy section but I know what the AT is like. A newbee does not. They need a reference point.
where does it say this person is 300lbs.? i was talkin in general. you may disregard my posts

ChinMusic
03-06-2012, 23:09
where does it say this person is 300lbs.?

Lone Wolf
03-06-2012, 23:09
............................exactly :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
03-06-2012, 23:38
Speaking from the perspective of someone who knows this section well and has done it many times, in both directions (I presently LIVE in Neel Gap) I hope you'll consider doing it in the other direction, i.e southbound. You'll have a few good solid climbs at the outset, but most of your day later or will mostly be flat or actually, gently downhill. This is a wonderful piece of trail, but I'd give some thought to doing it in a southbound direction and ending up at Neel Gap, and not starting there.

BlakeGrice
03-07-2012, 00:52
I did this and then on to Unicoi 2 weeks ago. It is up and down, but not "difficult" per se. I find that if I just keep it somewhat slow and steady, I don't even feel a burn in my legs. Ever. If I try to go uphill with any kind of fast pace, my legs are on fire. Get poles and use them. Are you camping that night? If not, all you need is water. If so, just pack light. 50 pounds on this section is hard, 15 is not.

ChinMusic
03-07-2012, 01:08
careful............:D

Whack-a-mole
03-07-2012, 01:29
I also did this section a couple weeks ago. There is a good climb up from Neels Gap, then it drops down a little on the other side. After that it is mostly ridgetop cruising with gentle ups and downs. It was very rainy so I can't comment on the views, as I was pretty much socked in that day, but the woods are nice over all. Shoot, it would be worth the trip just to go to Mtn Crossings and hang out for a little while. I hope you enjoy your trip! Wish I was going back with you!

daddytwosticks
03-07-2012, 08:11
I'm the same age as Lone Wolf, but NOT in as good of shape. I don't think you will have a problem at all. Spend some time in the Outfitter's store. Be careful though, you will definitely catch the thru-hiking bug. :)

Gray Blazer
03-07-2012, 09:00
It's a fairly easy pretty section. When you get to Cowrock Mountain (you'll klnow cuz there's a rock that looks like a cow) I wouldn't bother going down to Tenastee Gap. There's no water there besides (I couldn't find it).