PDA

View Full Version : trail runners or sandals

NineLeaves
03-06-2012, 21:04
Come hot weather what do you prefer?

Hawkwind61
03-06-2012, 21:26
I wear my 'Invisible Shoes' (Google them if curious)..thin pre-formed soles that I lace to my feet. Used Teva Terra-fi's for years...but due to the shape and curve of my toes could never quite evade some blistering early each season before my feet toughened up. Hiked barefoot for years, even did a section hike in the Whites in my teens barefoot. I know my trouble spots so the 'Invisible' sole gives me total control over where my laces contact my foot. I carry a pair of very light Timberland's with Vibram soles for the days I need socks to keep my feet warm. In the process of trying out Zemgear 360's for this years hike...really, really liking them for a more 'barefoot' feel. (Warning...totally a minimalist when it comes to footwear here.)

dink
03-06-2012, 22:13
love the "invisibles" plus they have a 5000 mile wear warranty!!!

Hawkwind61
03-06-2012, 22:21
Yes! Haven't had to replace soles quite yet...just laces. ;)

nevergoshort
03-20-2012, 11:17
Trail runners. Non GoreTex, mesh upper models for breathability and quick drying if wet. Sandals are too susceptible to debris between the toes and under the forefoot etc..

turtle fast
03-20-2012, 11:35
Go with trail runners...your feet will collect debris with sandals, but the BIG problem is HITTING your foot (especially the front toes) on rocks, stumps, etc. Trail runners will at least protect your feet from scrapes, bruises or breaking a toe. As well if its a big tick season this year as predicted by many, you do not have to worry about your feet as much.

bamboo bob
03-20-2012, 11:46
I used Bite Sandals for AT SOBO to Harpers Ferry. Also the FT and LT. The sticks and pebbles was not a problem at all and wading in water and quick dry was all good. The Bite Sandals had a toe protector which worked great. I haven't seen any other sandals that have that. I once used them a little early in the year on the AT and that made for cold feet for sure so I wouldn't do that again. Trail runners are good too but NOT waterproof or they'll never dry. This years hip new fad seems to be the Five Fingers and Invisible Shoes. it will be interesting to see how they work out. I'll start with Montrail Badrocks, they are Baaad!

ScottP
03-20-2012, 12:54
personal preference.

take care of your feet either way. my feet dry out with sandals so i need lotion