PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for nobo thru starting early April

Gunther79
03-06-2012, 21:22
Hi Ya'll,

So I've really enjoyed reading all the information on this site, but I need some advice on my sleeping bag. I own two, but they are over 12 years old, so I am splurging on a brand new one. Here is the facts about me:

- start on or about April 10, northbound
- Small 50 liter pack
- Plan to hammock camp as much as possible, will not be using any under quilt, but I do have a good tarp which can handle average size rain storms
- Bringing a mat for shelter sleeping for rainy nights / putting into the hammock for really cold nights.
- I plan to start with a down jacket, which I can wear in the bag on cold nights. However, maybe a better option is to get a warmer bag and not bring the down jacket (which will require a sizable bit of volume in the pack).
- Up for gear changes as I go, though would prefer to get the right bag upfront to last the whole way.

So question 1: Down or synthetic?

question 2: What rating?

I really want this Golite adrenaline down 1+ season, rated to 40: http://www.golite.com/Adrenaline-800-Fill-1-Season-Mummy-Regular-P46814.aspx

But I am concerned that as a hammock camper, a synthetic will handle the inevitable stray bits of moisture better.

I am also concerned that it is not warm enough.

What would you folks recomend or are there additional things I should consider?

bigcranky
03-06-2012, 21:37
First, you'll likely need the pad under you most nights, not just the really cold ones. I find any night with lows even in the 70s I want some insulation under me, let alone lows in the 20s and 30s. A closed cell foam pad is generally enough.

For a bag/quilt, your small pack and start date suggest a down bag in the 25- or 30-F range. Even then, you'll probably have a couple of chilly nights. No real worries about getting the bag damp - that's what your tarp is for.

RWheeler
03-06-2012, 21:51
You definitely want a down bag if you have a 50L pack, otherwise it'll be taking up almost half of the space you have.

I also agree that you're going to want something for freezing or below freezing. It's better to have a warmer bag and be warm than have to layer up and risk being cold. You're going to be tired, make sure you get to enjoy your sleep as much as possible.

The bag I'm taking with me this year (NOBO 4/24) is a Western Mountaineering SummerLite. It's a great bag. It's rated to 32F, but I was comfortable on it sleeping outside in my tent the other night when it was in the teens (I think 16-17 were the low-point) using a Thermarest Pro Lite and just wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I do sleep warm, though. So I'm comfortable that this works for me. Try to figure out what bag would work for you.

I'd say get a bag and test it out. Sleeping in your bed with a window open doesn't quite simulate being outdoors, so don't use that as an accurate gauge for temperature threshold. If one doesn't work, switch it for something different. But as for down bags, Western Mountaineering, Marmot, and Mont-bell make some great products. Check out those.

Gunther79
03-06-2012, 22:57
Good tips! I won't be getting that GoLite, as your comments confirm it is not warm enough. I love my sleep too, so I am going to err a bit on warm side vs choosing something that is marginal.

I've slept in my hammock to 40 F before with just a sleeping bag and it was fine with some clothes on. But I am realizing now that was using my old north face synthetic bag which just doesn't compress like down does. I think a down bag will not work nearly as well, so I'll be considering alternatives. I can appreciate that an under quilt is ideal, but I really want to keep the setup simple and flexible. I think I'll get a really nice down bag and see how it goes, unfortunately my opportunities to test a night's sleep in my hammock before starting are going to be very limited, I'll just have to adjust along the way if necessary :)

msupple
03-06-2012, 23:40
You definitely want a down bag if you have a 50L pack, otherwise it'll be taking up almost half of the space you have.

I also agree that you're going to want something for freezing or below freezing. It's better to have a warmer bag and be warm than have to layer up and risk being cold. You're going to be tired, make sure you get to enjoy your sleep as much as possible.

The bag I'm taking with me this year (NOBO 4/24) is a Western Mountaineering SummerLite. It's a great bag. It's rated to 32F, but I was comfortable on it sleeping outside in my tent the other night when it was in the teens (I think 16-17 were the low-point) using a Thermarest Pro Lite and just wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I do sleep warm, though. So I'm comfortable that this works for me. Try to figure out what bag would work for you.

I'd say get a bag and test it out. Sleeping in your bed with a window open doesn't quite simulate being outdoors, so don't use that as an accurate gauge for temperature threshold. If one doesn't work, switch it for something different. But as for down bags, Western Mountaineering, Marmot, and Mont-bell make some great products. Check out those.

I have that same bag...it's a great one. I've been very comfortable with it in the low to mid twenties in my hammock with UQ. I'm leaving early April....hoping it will be sufficient. I'll sleep in all my clothes if it's not.