PDA

View Full Version : PCT forum based web site

attroll
03-07-2012, 11:13
I have been searching the web for a good PCT forum because the PCT has been on my mind. I have not found any active forums for the PCT. The only place that I have found any activity on is in this forum here. I was hoping to find a good forum orientated towards the PCT just like WhiteBlaze is orientated towards the AT but I have not had any luck. I think it would be nice to have a PCT forum for the PCT just like WhiteBlaze is for the AT but maybe there is not such a need or want.

My question now is, should there be a forum based web site for the PCT, is there a need for one, do you think one would be successful?

bamboo bob
03-07-2012, 11:27
www.postholer.com

frisbeefreek
03-07-2012, 11:54
Yeah - For whatever reason, the PCT is fragmented. A lot of people still use the PCT-L dlist, which is pretty old school. I'm surprised a single forum location hasn't become overwhelming popular.

Ewker
03-07-2012, 12:01
http://adventureonthepct.com/ is good but no one use's it

WingedMonkey
03-07-2012, 12:02
the PCT has been on my mind.

Yeah couldn't help but notice your new "art decorations" on the PCT forum page the last few months. I guess you get bored easy looking at a plain screen.

:p

Miner
03-07-2012, 12:56
The problem is there aren't as many people looking at the PCT as there is the AT. So there isn't enough traffic to help any movement to more centralize things. The PCT-L has stayed the main source because no better alternate exists. Occasional attempts at starting other forums haven't born fruit as people often don't know about it. Many years have had a Yahoo group created where people ask questions there if they don't want to on the PCT-L and since those groups are specific to a given hiking year, they die quickly once people start hiking. Postholer has the advantage that everyone uses the snow charts there and some use the online journals, and even then it doesn't get a lot of posts on the forums. And people with AT experience post occasionally here in the sub-forum.

postholer.com
03-07-2012, 22:22
The problem is there aren't as many people looking at the PCT as there is the AT. So there isn't enough traffic to help any movement to more centralize things.

What miner said.

Imagine the AT as Walmart and the PCT as Ma and Pa's corner store. That is the scope.

There have been several PCT forums over the years and they die. A forum by itself can't hold the attention of relative few PCT enthusiasts.

Content is king.

Postholer.Com is driven by the journals and google trail maps. The snow page and forum are secondary.

-postholer

SGT Rock
03-07-2012, 22:36
I like Postholer for the general PCT stuff. Whenever I have a question about something related to the PCT I can usually find it on Postholer.com

guthook
03-08-2012, 20:34
I generally keep an eye on Postholer and on this Whiteblaze forum. There may not be as much traffic on them as there is on the AT part of Whiteblaze, but that's fine... there's still more than enough information. Come to think of it, I find the "other trails" section of Whiteblaze to be the most enjoyable section. Not so many new posts that I have trouble keeping up to date, and not so few that the forums are dead.

blackbird04217
03-08-2012, 21:06
Slightly on topic, but are there any PCT videos like the Cookie and Paul's CDT video?

BrianLe
03-08-2012, 23:35
Another thing you can do is infrequently download and scan the PCT-L archives. I stopped getting emails (even digest) from there some time ago as the signal-to-noise ratio didn't seem favorable; I much prefer the sort of setup here (whiteblaze) where it's easier to drill down just to the subset of stuff that I might be interested in.

But for someone really focused on the PCT, have a look at the archives at least: http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

nathan2
03-11-2012, 17:31
...I stopped getting emails (even digest) from there some time ago as the signal-to-noise ratio didn't seem favorable..

"Signal to noise ratio" may be my new favorite idiom.

Miner
03-11-2012, 21:06
Slightly on topic, but are there any PCT videos like the Cookie and Paul's CDT video?
A lower resolution version of the Walking the West PCT Documentary DVD can be found on YouTube in 2 parts. Its a pretty good documentary of a late 90's thru-hike. I bought it years ago before a free version was available online and would still buy it today.

nathan2
03-20-2012, 15:08
A lower resolution version of the Walking the West PCT Documentary DVD can be found on YouTube in 2 parts. Its a pretty good documentary of a late 90's thru-hike. I bought it years ago before a free version was available online and would still buy it today.

I second this! Just watched again last night. Moral: Don't unwrap you power bars to save on weight lol!

lvnv1212
03-21-2012, 11:49
I know it's not a forum...but I have been fascinated by this trail journal of their 2011 PCT thru hike! http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=81981a2becab89307cfd1f3011e1fb 95&entry_id=19172