PDA

View Full Version : Need Section Input

JaxHiker
03-07-2012, 11:28
I'm looking for about a 60 or so mile stretch to do over Memorial Day week. I looked at Spivey Gap south into Hot Springs for about 56 miles and Devil Fork Gap to Davenport Gap at about 70.

I'm also considering Shenandoah Natl Park. It's a further drive for me from FL but might be nice. Any input on any of these (or other) options would be appreciated. I'd originally planned on hiking south from GSNP to NOC but I don't think it'll work out as I'd hoped.

ASUGrad
03-07-2012, 16:16
Burke's Garden to Pearisburg. Probably more of a 4 day hike.

Whack-a-mole
03-07-2012, 18:48
Unicoi Gap to Winding Stair Gap near Franklin is about 57 miles or so. Good parking lots at both ends, and both are pretty easy to drive to. The drive between the two is pretty as well. Hotels are nearby in Helen, Hiawassee, and Franklin. Pretty close to Mountain Crossings also. If you're going to be that close you might as well drop in.

BabySue
03-07-2012, 19:41
I'd keep all three options open (5 options couting the suggestions above) and watch the weather as your trip approaches. Go where the weather is nicest. Having said that, I think the prettiest of the three options would be Devil Fork to Davenport Gap. The ridge line in the first 20 miles is outstanding, and Max Patch is as good a bald as you'll find. I also think this would be the most difficult, given the miles and given that Shenandoah would be the easiest of the three. The climb out of Hot Springs is tough. Davenport Gap is close to Standing Bear, where you can park for a modest fee; they do shuttles too. Rich Mountain Fire Tower between Allen Gap & is a must-see & you'll pass it on either of your first two options, & it's only a couple hundred yards off the trail. Good food & resupply options in Hot Springs, allowing you to carry a bit less w/ Hot Springs in the middle rather than at the end.

JaxHiker
03-07-2012, 20:36
Unicoi Gap to Winding Stair Gap near Franklin is about 57 miles or so. Good parking lots at both ends, and both are pretty easy to drive to. The drive between the two is pretty as well. Hotels are nearby in Helen, Hiawassee, and Franklin. Pretty close to Mountain Crossings also. If you're going to be that close you might as well drop in.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I've covered up to NOC from GA so I went through Winding Stair on last year's trip. I do agree that MC has to be hit when you're that close, though.

I'd keep all three options open (5 options couting the suggestions above) and watch the weather as your trip approaches. Go where the weather is nicest. Having said that, I think the prettiest of the three options would be Devil Fork to Davenport Gap. The ridge line in the first 20 miles is outstanding, and Max Patch is as good a bald as you'll find. I also think this would be the most difficult, given the miles and given that Shenandoah would be the easiest of the three. The climb out of Hot Springs is tough. Davenport Gap is close to Standing Bear, where you can park for a modest fee; they do shuttles too. Rich Mountain Fire Tower between Allen Gap & is a must-see & you'll pass it on either of your first two options, & it's only a couple hundred yards off the trail. Good food & resupply options in Hot Springs, allowing you to carry a bit less w/ Hot Springs in the middle rather than at the end.
I'll have to look at my notes. Devil Fork sounds familiar but I've been over so many routes I'll have to see. I just saw the fire tower today and think that would be a great one to add to Max Patch.

I actually thought about putting Hot Springs in the middle just for the reason you mentioned. I'll take a closer look now. It seemed that the distance between road crossings near my mileage goal were actually a little further and closer to 80 when I first looked. I just mapped out Newfound Gap to Hot Springs at 67.1. The downside is it's a 2-hr shuttle at close to $200. It would also mean two shelter stays since the first miles would fall within the park.

Thanks for the suggestions!

JaxHiker
03-08-2012, 12:34
I think the prettiest of the three options would be Devil Fork to Davenport Gap.
I knew this sounded familiar! It's one of the routes I'd already looked at...

I looked at it in reverse, though. It might be better to start at Devil Fork and leave the truck at Standing Bear. I'll check the southbound options. This is what I have so far:

Dav Gap to Groundhog = 9.6
Groundhog to Walnut Mtn = 13.1
Walnut Mtn to Hot Springs = 14
HS to Sprint Mtn = 10.1
Spring Mtg to Little Laurel = 8.6
LL to Flint Mtn = 12.7
Flint Mtn to Devil Fork = 2.7 (easy finish ;))

I'll have to make bigger days if my buddies go since one of them can only do 5 days.

The <10 mile days could easily be stretched but I know they like to start easy.