PDA

View Full Version : Living Off My Pack

rmsidell
03-07-2012, 19:27
Wanted to know if anyone could provide me with a rough hierarchy of the things they would put in their pack and the things they would exclude. This will help me confirm the gear and items I will most consider to be "essential" over others as I prepare for my planned launch in mid-May.

gumball
03-07-2012, 19:37
There are lots of threads on this and some very good articles, just so you know.

Essentially, sleeping bag, pad; change of clothing, extra socks (clothing is weather-dependent); kitchen stove, pot and utensil; matches or lighter; food for number of days out, 1.5 to 2 lbs per day; sleep pad; tent; toilet paper; water filter or water purifier, such as iodine; gatorade bottles (2). And a kindle. Those are the basics. Oh--maps and journal and camp shoes.

I'm sure I am missing something....Gum

Lugh
03-07-2012, 19:49
The big 4: Pack, Tent, Bag, Pad

Food.

After that its pretty much debatable.

fiddlehead
03-07-2012, 19:57
sleeping bag,water bottle, food, rain gear, .
That's how I would list my priorities.
maybe a spoon.
Good luck.

kayak karl
03-07-2012, 20:07
like rmsidell said, lower left column of this page http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

Spokes
03-07-2012, 20:34
You gotta think "systems". Cook system, sleep system, etc...

Here's a tried and true list of cold weather gear that yields a base weight of between 16-18 lbs. Tweak it for summer to go even lighter. I'd add a trash compactor bag as a liner. Include a 100 weight fleece of you want. Gloves and fleece beanie are assumed carried.

Ignore the pop-up. http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

JAK
03-07-2012, 21:40
1. Proper clothing, all together enough for the worst conditions you might encounter on the trip, given historical weather records.

2. Proper shelter, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad, again for the historical weather records.

3. The ability to stop and make a cup of tea and assess your situation. Map, compass, watch help here. The ability to obtain water, carry it, and boil it, is also implied here. When in doubt stop and make tea.

4. Food. Real food. Balanced diet, but dry. Try at home. 1 pound/day at home. 2 pounds/day hiking.

5. Other stuff, but most important is the ability to recognize mistakes, learn as you go, and a sense of humour.

It's not the heat. It's the humility.

BlakeGrice
03-08-2012, 17:10
sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent/tarp, water, food.

QiWiz
03-09-2012, 14:21
To me the absolute minimum for multi-night trip would be:
Insulation to wear when sleeping (quilt or bag over you, pad under you)
Shelter from elements when sleeping (tarp and groundsheet)
Food to eat

Most would also have a few other things, like:
Water container(s)
Pot to cook in
Clothing to wear in camp; while sleeping; while washing out hiking clothes (this can all be the same 2nd set)
First Aid / repair gear
Flashlight / headlamp / candle
Personal hygiene items
Some type of rain/wind shell or poncho

rmsidell
03-09-2012, 21:21
Would you all say that state by state thru-guides are an essential purchase? I found them today at EMS and they cost nearly 30 dollars apiece. Considering that I am trying to live a little lean lately to save for my trip I have a few more uses for that kind of $.

jeffmeh
03-10-2012, 13:48
Would you all say that state by state thru-guides are an essential purchase? I found them today at EMS and they cost nearly 30 dollars apiece. Considering that I am trying to live a little lean lately to save for my trip I have a few more uses for that kind of $.

Absolutely not essential.

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2012, 15:42
Would you all say that state by state thru-guides are an essential purchase? I found them today at EMS and they cost nearly 30 dollars apiece. Considering that I am trying to live a little lean lately to save for my trip I have a few more uses for that kind of $.Just get Awol's guide http://www.theatguide.com/