PDA

View Full Version : The Late, Great Keith Shaw, Sr.

Mags
03-25-2005, 14:32
From at-l:

Fans of Shaw's:

Backpacker Magazine has decided to run a small tribute to the late Keith
Shaw, Sr. and what he meant to the hiking community. I'm soliciting remembrances
of him for this piece.

Also, I've received a number of forwarded missives regarding the Monson
article in the April '05 issue of Backpacker, where I noted "Keith Shaw" as the
proprietor of Shaw's. I was aware that Keith, Sr. had passed when I sent in my
final draft, and after several last-minute phone calls and wringing of hands,
decided to stick with that language since Young Keith is now the proprietor.
With hindsight, including "Jr." and/or noting Keith's passing would have made it
clearer that we were up to date on events up in Monson .

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with Keith.

Hike your own hike,
Charlie

Charlie Wood [email protected]

hikerjohnd
03-25-2005, 15:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6598&highlight=Shaw

This thread started back when Mr Shaw passed away. Let us know what Backpacker issue will run the article - I would like to pick up a copy. Thanks.

Peaks
03-25-2005, 18:07
I'd like to see Bill O'brien's write-up included if possible. I think I saw it in the ALDHA newsletter

Mags
03-25-2005, 19:19
You may want to e-mail Charlies then with your suggestion. He posted on AT-L, not sure if he is a member of Whiteblaze.

Mausalot
03-27-2005, 18:21
This is a little movie I made about Mr Shaw (http://homepage.newschool.edu/%7Eat2k/shaw.mov).

The footage did not find a way into my movie, but I'm glad I was able to put something together.

Doug
director, 2000 Miles to Maine (http://homepage.newschool.edu/%7Eat2k/)

Mountain Dew
03-28-2005, 02:48
The hiking communtiy's growing dislike for Backpacker magazine is fuel by LAZY writers like "Charlie". He knew the facts, but still turned his final draft in with a huge glaring error about whom the article was written ? You've got to be kidding me. Somehow I find it fitting that he posted his comments on the AT-L.

Charlie Wood
03-28-2005, 12:11
Mad kudos to Mags for picking me up by posting for me.

I understand the many concerns the backpacking community has with BP. As a member of the community (AT '95, PCT '97, LT '99, CT '01, and other stuff), I like to think that I'm sensitive to these concerns. If anyone has any particular issues they would like to take up with me, or with the magazine through me, please email me privately, and I'll do my best to help you out.

If you would like to hear the details of how the Monson piece came together, I am willing to discuss those privately also.

HYOH,
Charlie
[email protected]

hikerjohnd
03-28-2005, 12:15
The hiking communtiy's growing dislike for Backpacker magazine is fuel by LAZY writers like "Charlie". He knew the facts, but still turned his final draft in with a huge glaring error about whom the article was written ? You've got to be kidding me. Somehow I find it fitting that he posted his comments on the AT-L.
So has the article been printed? I was interested in reading it, but not going to shell out $ for anopther copy of BP after the gear guide fiasco...

Mountain Dew
03-30-2005, 02:25
Yes, it was printed AFTER the author new the FACTS. I believe it was the last issue or perhaps the one before that. I'm suprised BP didn't scratch the Monson story for another kayaking story that is seems they want to shove down our throats these days.

ScreaminSteven
04-03-2005, 06:54
Late last year, I met the old man. Did not know who he was, and was not sure he was quite sane at first, but when given a little respect he was quite entertaining. He told us about the end of WW2 and how he built his fortune.

One thing I will never forget is when he said, "I am a millionaire, believe it? I have thousands of dollars in every pocket." We hikers looked at each other; then he did "the demo." He alternately took a wad folded cash bills, each bigger than a fist, from every pocket in the clothes he was wearing. He did so in such a quick and graceful manner we knew he must have have given the demonstration before. We did not ask to see his gun. Yep, he was getting on up there. There are not too many WW2 vets left.

It is a shame the AT has lost one of its characters.

-----

Side note: I love you Shaw's, but please do not refer NOBO hikers to WHL... The dude that runs the place is a maniac, and really hates hikers. He's the Soup Nazi of Maine.