PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

Transient Being
03-08-2012, 09:08
Can't decide what I want to do. Originally I had begun planning on attempting a thru, but then I realized that 40 days would be all I could probably do this year, so then I decided, fine....I'll pick back up north of Hot Springs where I left off last trip. But then I started thinking that I would miss out on all the excitement of starting at Springer, even if I wasn't attempting a thru. I've done the Southern end more than once, and if I pick up where I left off, I'll be seeing new trail....but, part of me is thinking I'll be missing out on the experience of starting out at Springer with the rest of the crowd.

Sleepless in Seattle. lol.

jbsbestfan
03-08-2012, 09:27
Pick back up north of hot springs at a time when the thru hikers will be in the vicinity. They may not be as excited as when at springer, but they won't have the virginia blues yet....besides, once you hit beauty spot and then the roan highlands and the Damascus area, the 40 days north of hot springs will be pretty awesome. In fact end in damascus during trail days.

Red Hat
03-08-2012, 10:29
I agree, pick up north of Hot Springs. There are already a number of hikers out there and you'll be among friends, even if you start right away. If you wait until early April, you'll be in the thick of them. 40 days would put you well into VA...

Transient Being
03-08-2012, 10:30
Thanks!, that was what I was looking for! How far is it from HS to Damascus?

Lone Wolf
03-08-2012, 10:34
How far is it from HS to Damascus?

190 miles....

JAK
03-08-2012, 10:42
40 days and 40 nights is totally epic. Have a blast.
Wwid? Does it matter? I would try and do the 40 days and 40 nights without resupply, not sure where.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2012, 11:59
I'd say it kinda depends on exactly when you can do the hike. At the rate the weather is warming up this year, I wouldn't wait too long.

The northern half of N.C., starting at Hot Springs, is one of my most favorate sections of the AT. You need to do it. 40 days should get you all the way to Marion VA, so you can see the Grayson Highlands too. Plus Marion has a Grayhound bus stop to get out of town on.

SGT Rock
03-08-2012, 12:11
Pick up north of HS. I've been doing sections from where I left off in 2008. I don't feel I've missed anything.

Something I heard this weekend from a multi-time thru-hiker (famous guy, 2 books) was how much his second hike was sucking because he wanted it to be like his first hike. When he realized you only ever get one first time, then he relaxed and started having fun. Now he has about 4 thru hikes if I remember correctly. So while you may want to relive the excitement of starting at Springer, chances are it will not live up to how you remember it.

Transient Being
03-08-2012, 16:10
190 miles....

I suppose that means I would be well past Damascus after 40 days. I could always catch a ride back for the event. Never been, heard alot about it.

40 days and 40 nights is totally epic. Have a blast.
Wwid? Does it matter? I would try and do the 40 days and 40 nights without resupply, not sure where.

Thanks! While the idea of a 40 day hike without resupply sounds really cool, I would hate to start out with a 100 lb pack. Don't think I could fit all that into the Gregory anyway. lol.

I'd say it kinda depends on exactly when you can do the hike. At the rate the weather is warming up this year, I wouldn't wait too long.

The northern half of N.C., starting at Hot Springs, is one of my most favorate sections of the AT. You need to do it. 40 days should get you all the way to Marion VA, so you can see the Grayson Highlands too. Plus Marion has a Grayhound bus stop to get out of town on.

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to get up there. This has been a very warm winter. I may pull the trigger very soon. I can leave by next Monday, so it's all good :) I was gonna try and wait for some thru hikers to get into the area, so may wait a little longer.

Pick up north of HS. I've been doing sections from where I left off in 2008. I don't feel I've missed anything.

Something I heard this weekend from a multi-time thru-hiker (famous guy, 2 books) was how much his second hike was sucking because he wanted it to be like his first hike. When he realized you only ever get one first time, then he relaxed and started having fun. Now he has about 4 thru hikes if I remember correctly. So while you may want to relive the excitement of starting at Springer, chances are it will not live up to how you remember it.

Good point. I know what you mean. Some things just aren't repeatable.

stranger
03-08-2012, 18:04
I agree that starting at Springer won't be the same this time around.

You can only leave Springer for the first time once, and that's happened already. 40 days is a huge hike and you could easily hike 500-600 miles, no point going back to Springer unless you want to see that section again.

Plus you could leave Hot Springs earlier in the year and have less hiker traffic, etc...