PDA

View Full Version : CT Hiking/Backpacking with my dog

hikergirl1120
03-08-2012, 10:00
Good morning all!! I am interested in backpacking with my dog and would like to start off small. I live in CT and I thought it would be nice to try an easy overnight trip with him, basically hike in and hike out kind of a thing. I am having trouble finding places like that in CT. I live in the eastern part of the state, ideally I would like to experiment in my area because it would be easier to get someone to drop us off and pick us up. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I am open to things outside of CT but like I said preferably eastern CT.

coach lou
03-08-2012, 10:52
I believe that there are backpacking opportunities in Voluntown State Forest, check the Dof EP website. I have also seen on this site about a developing long distance trail in SE Ct. ........I know....long distance trail...in Connecticut.....just doesn't roll of the tongue, does it?!

lemon b
03-08-2012, 12:26
Mt Greylock might work.

RWheeler
03-08-2012, 13:02
If you're in eastern CT, check out the Nipmuck Trail. There's camping sites throughout, so you can probably easily figure out an overnight in-out. There are two southern trail heads in Mansfield (one is within the Hollow), so just make sure you return on the same one. They aren't terribly far apart, though. Not positive if dogs are allowed at the campsites, though...

Driver8
03-08-2012, 13:09
Hi Hikergirl:

Do you have a copy of the Connecticut Walk Book? If you don't, you can buy one at your nearest big bookstore or good outfitters. There's the East and the West editions. The east does not include the Appalachian Trail, the Tunxis, the Mohawk, the Quinnipiac, the Mattatuck or numerous other shorter western CT trails, but well covers everything from the New England Trail (Metacomet and Mattabessett) and everything eastward.

I don't know east of CT River well, but I hear there's good hiking and maybe backpacking, too, on the northern Nipmuck Trail. If you're willing and able to drive it, for my money, the best in Connecticut is the AT in Salisbury, crossing into Mass - the Taconics, from Rt. 41 over Lion's Head to Bear Mtn, Sages Ravine, then Mts. Race and Everett. Camping areas include Riga, Ball Brook, Brassie Brook, Sages Ravine, Laurel, Race Brook Falls and one on the Paradise Lane Trail near Bear the name of which escapes me at the moment. There are lots of trail angels in that area, so you might be able to arrange to park your car with one of them and get a ride to the trail and a pick-up when you're done, whether on the CT or the MA side. Try Maria McCabe or Peter Feen, the latter of Peter Beck's outfitter store, both in Salisbury. Mary at Chaiwalla tea shop loves the trail and hikers and loves to hear their stories. Also, her tea and pies/cakes/etc. are amazing.

Snowleopard
03-08-2012, 14:23
The midstate trail in Mass has a few shelters. There's one in Douglas State Forest on the Mass/RI border.
In the same area that driver8 mentions in NW Conn., just across the border in Mass, there's Mt. Washington State Forest. There's backcountry camping about 2 miles from the parking area and some day hikes or loops to Alander Mt., Brace Mt. or Mt. Frissel. Or, with a bit more hiking you can get to the AT near Bear Mt (CT) or Sages Ravine (Mass).

canoehead
03-08-2012, 14:44
Got back this afternoon after a full moon over night up at October Mt Shelter. in MA. We used snowshoes and had a great sunny warm winter campout....