PDA

View Full Version : How to care for retainer?

dserum06
03-08-2012, 11:09
Haven't seen a post on this yet, but I have to wear a retainer every night. Just wondered about if anyone else does, and how they plan to pack it/keep it clean for a thru hike! Thanks :)

ambroseya
03-08-2012, 11:19
I haven't thruhiked yet, but from retainer experience, I would:
Get the safest yet lightest container I could find (probably at a walgreens, etc., if you don't have a small one (like for a nightguard).)
"soak" it if necessary, in towns, otherwise brush it with toothbrush and toothpaste while on the trail, following general guidelines for toothbrushing (ie spit in the woods not in the water source, etc).
For the soak, if you usually use denture cleaner which can come in a larger package, listerine frequently does a similar job and can be purchased in a smaller bottle in town (travel aisle for airplane size!). IE: put listerine in disposable cup (obtained in town) soak retainer (maybe while eating) then rinse off and return to carry case. Wash out carry case like dishes, if it gets nasty, in town.
For bonus points, actually use some of the listerine for mouthwash before using the rest of the bottle for the soak.

Nutbrown
03-08-2012, 11:29
brush it when you brush your teeth. ...but should you hang it in the food bag at night:rolleyes:

ambroseya
03-08-2012, 11:37
After seeing Nutbrowns comment I want to clarify, my suggestions were for a retainer worn only at night... and parts of that won't make sense if it's a daytime retainer. I guess I didn't read the initial post clearly and went with some assumptions...

BlakeGrice
03-08-2012, 17:09
I'd leave it at home

ChinMusic
03-08-2012, 18:33
I'd leave it at home

I kinda think that defeats the purpose of the orthodontics.....

coffee kid
03-08-2012, 20:00
FWIW, I left my retainers at home and did 2 months on the trail in the Summer of 08. I was able to get the retainers on my teeth when I got back. I continue to use them and they still fit, so I don't think I "lost" much of my orthodontic correction in those 2 months. I bet your orthodontist would be the best to advise you what kind of "loss" or movement you could expect if you didn't wear your retainers over the duration of a thru-hike & whether you could get the correction back when you got back.

Blissful
03-08-2012, 20:10
Agree check with your orthodontist on this issue and what you plan to do and their recommendation for care. Also retainers can break, so be sure you have a plan of care if that happens.

OBXWaMi
03-08-2012, 21:37
I wore one many years ago and my kids still wear them. They weigh next to nothing, so from the Mom point of view, I say put it in the retainer case your orthodontis gave you and pack it with your jammies or your toothbrush.

ChinMusic
03-08-2012, 21:47
The need for a retainer varies greatly from case to case: Time in retention, stable occlusion, rotations needed during treatment, type and degree of correction, age of patient, etc. Every case can be different

The best suggestion, short of taking your retainer, is to contact your orthodontist..............and your mother.

coffee kid
03-08-2012, 22:02
Yeah, +1 on chinmusic's wisdom

dserum06
03-08-2012, 22:26
After seeing Nutbrowns comment I want to clarify, my suggestions were for a retainer worn only at night... and parts of that won't make sense if it's a daytime retainer. I guess I didn't read the initial post clearly and went with some assumptions...

I meant night one!! And I can't leave it at home, or my teeth will grow apart!

Montana AT05
03-09-2012, 03:56
Most retainers require at least a 100 gold piece payment per week, until level 8 when it goes up based on your dungeon master's discretion. Also, some of the better retainers might require a share of the party loot, or at least a few magic items.

Oh wait, did I misunderstand the question and reveal my inner-geek?

Hmm...a migrating Dungeons and Dragons campaign game played out each night in camp along the AT. From level 1 to level 20 in 2000 miles. Although the group might break up around Pine Grove Furnace due to loot arguments.

<ponders> I wonder how much the DM's Guide weighs?

/apologizes to all the non geeks for this post

Mags
03-09-2012, 11:11
Most retainers require at least a 100 gold piece payment per week, until level 8 when it goes up based on your dungeon master's discretion. Also, some of the better retainers might require a share of the party loot, or at least a few magic items.

Oh wait, did I misunderstand the question and reveal my inner-geek?

Hmm...a migrating Dungeons and Dragons campaign game played out each night in camp along the AT. From level 1 to level 20 in 2000 miles. Although the group might break up around Pine Grove Furnace due to loot arguments.

<ponders> I wonder how much the DM's Guide weighs?

/apologizes to all the non geeks for this post

The inner 12 yo DnD geek in me LOL (Reflexively looks around to make sure Sr. Lorainne does not catch Ed, Ralph, Jason, Mike and myself playing DnD during our lunch. DnD is evil. So the nuns told us. Made it that much more fun to play :D)

mudhead
03-10-2012, 13:48
nun- ain't had nun, don't want nun, don't want anyone else to have nun.