PDA

View Full Version : FS 42 Conditions

jasco
03-08-2012, 12:07
I am heading up to Springer via FS 42 this Saturday. Since I have no little idea of what expect from this road (other than it is normally "passable"), I feel the need to ask...

With weather of the last few weeks (and projected rain tonight/tomorrow), is FS 42 currently passable by minivan...or should I modify my current plan to include the approach trail?

Thanks,
Patrick

darinbuck
03-08-2012, 13:27
A friend of mine was there last weekend (2012/03/02), and said the western approach (via Roy Rd) was fine.

-Darin Buck

hikerbee
03-08-2012, 14:09
Two days ago I called Amicalola State Park to ask about this. He mentioned coming from the west (Roy Rd) was worse because of the rain (washed out some) and he suggested I drive in using US 51 and then FS 28-1 because the road is better right now. I suppose he is biased though, since this is the way they usually shuttle from Amicalola. He thought high clearance was needed, but that people often use regular cars and get by.

kelin
03-08-2012, 15:11
I was there Tuesday (3/6). Came in the long way (better roads but LONG confusing drive) and left via the shorter route 6.5 miles (rough but I have a hyundai santa fe and made it fine).

mgeiger
03-08-2012, 17:50
Went in 3/4. Saw cars up there including a red taxi driven like a rally car.

mgeiger
03-08-2012, 17:51
Meant to mention the long way.

Razor
03-08-2012, 21:50
The road is passable in any direction but it is a dirt and gravel road and is typical of other forrest service roads Traveler beware!

jasco
03-09-2012, 08:06
Thanks for the info everyone! See you on the trail.

mgeiger
03-09-2012, 12:32
Since there often seems to be concern over 42's condition, I'm half-considering offering up myself as a shuttle. I have a 100-series Land Cruiser with full time 4x4 H and L with a locking axles on mud-terrain tires. I also carry recovery gear - i.e a tow strap to clear a fallen tree off FS58 last Sunday (will be carrying a chainsaw now too). My schedule is pretty packed with kids. I would not be looking at it as a serious money maker, but I live 40 miles away - half way beteween Springer and the Marta North Springs Rail Station. At 12mpg, I might need to charge a little more for the confidence in knowing we'll get through. I'm probably not the first to offer up an "all terrain" shuttle. Thoughts? Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I believe the OP got the info they asked for.