PDA

View Full Version : Calling Ahead Before Sending Drop Boxes

hikerbee
03-08-2012, 14:27
Although this may not be necessary, I've been calling the 12 post offices/hostels that I plan on sending drop boxes to just to make sure they're willing to accept my packages (and if there's any special instructions beyond the normal). I've tried calling the Ft. Montgomery, NY and Harper's Ferry, Wva P.O.s many times this week with no response. The phone keeps ringing.....

Is this a bad sign? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-08-2012, 15:51
Just don't call between 12:00 and 2:00 pm , some of the smaller PO close. so I am told be my friends!! I cannot verify the closing However they are closed where I live!!

Spokes
03-08-2012, 15:56
I wouldn't worry about calling the Post Offices but yes on hostels or other locations. Make sure you write your real last name in bold marker on two adjacent sides of the box since that's how the clerks look for them up on the shelving.

Also, if you intend to get any letters or cards sent General Delivery to you by family or friends tell the postal clerk since they usually file/store these in a separate location. I learned that lesson the hard way...

Cheers!

Bati
03-08-2012, 16:18
I agree. I had one campground/store refuse to take a package, but a friend of mine sent brownies there, as he knew I would be stopping there. A package of brownie dust was returned to him about a month after I had passed through as the campground refused to pass out any packages to hikers. No worries about that place now- they went out of buisness!

I've also had post offices closed on me, but that was in the day when you had to look up the zip codes in the printed books of the post office to locate the small post offices. After that experience I learned to ASK the postal clerk when mailing a package if there was any danger of a PO closing. On the AT, you'll hear about the closures here or in a guidebook, so it shouldn't be a worry. If you're using a post office that's on a lesser used trail, just ask before you mail, or clear the list of post offices before you leave it with the person doing the mailing. There no sense in hitching or roadwalking for miles to get to a closed post office, especially if the town doesn't have a store or restaurant. Also be sure to ask about reduced hours, as some of the smaller po's have very irregular hours. Again, this shouldn't be an issue on the AT, but it can be an issue on smaller trails, particularly if you have to do all the research on resupply points yourself.

handlebar
03-08-2012, 17:18
You can get post office information (local phone number, hours of operation, address) on USPS.GOV web site. Click on the "Find Locations" link on the home page, then click on "Go to Full Page Version" in the pop up box that appears. Otherwise, you'll get the national 800 number and not the local PO number. The USPS is busy closing a lot of rural post offices and it's good to check to be sure the location you've chosen isn't being closed. If you send Priority Mail, you can forward unopened packages ahead at the counter. I've also had success having the PO forward a c/o General Delivery priority mail package to a local motel (having gotten permission from the motel) to avoid issues with Sunday and Holiday closures,

swjohnsey
03-08-2012, 18:04
The Harper's Ferry post office won't be closing.

turtle fast
03-08-2012, 20:01
Why send to post office in Harpers Ferry and not the Appalachian Trail HQ? You will be there anyway....

Blissful
03-08-2012, 20:03
Yes send to the ATC headquarters in HF.

Ron Haven
03-08-2012, 21:03
If you need to send a drop box to Hiawassee or Franklin Budget Inn, send it. We don't charge you either. Need to send a box from Hiawassee to Franklin we take them free. We travel daily back and forth.