PDA

View Full Version : Outer Banks Locals???

OBXWaMi
03-08-2012, 15:38
I am looking for anyone local, or local enough, to the Outer Banks/Manteo area who is willing to help me set-up a meet-and-greet for people here who might be interested in hiking.

This area is quite a distance from the AT, but I know there are bound to be others who, if given the opportunity, would come out for more information. Maybe they haven't started hiking because they can't find a hiking buddy (like me). There was a listing in the Camping section of the classified ads in the Coastland Times a couple of weeks ago.

I've already spoken to the person in charge at the Dare County Center in Manteo and they are willing to let us use their meeting room free of charge. AND I've called the ATC and they are sending me literature to hand out.

I really need there to be an experienced hiker there (I am not). I'll do all the planning, I just need a commitment from someone to be there.

ANY TAKERS???

Spiffy
03-08-2012, 15:59
Still a bit far from OBX but there is an organization in Norfolk (i'm not a member) -- Tidewater Appalachian Trail Club
http://www.tidewateratc.com/
Hope that helped.

Red Hat
03-09-2012, 09:38
Bob White (Krewzer) in Buxton is a hiker, might want to look him up.

squirrel bait
03-09-2012, 10:16
I'm right here. That makes two. I'm a bit above novice but as they say" I did climb Dragons Tooth north to south on my first day", (sidebar: don't do that). So yes I am interested. You could also include our local Mountains to Sea Trail information, Jockeys Ridge is the eastern terminus. PM me so we don't clog up this board. I'm in Colington.

MedicineWoman2012
03-09-2012, 10:32
I second Bob White..met him at the Drive In at Hatteras Village a year ago with his wife and we were also discussing how rare it is to meet someone that enjoys the AT on outerbanks. I managed the Burrus Motor court in Hatter Village for a few years but doing a thru this yr. I will return to hatteras in the middle of summer possibly Aug 7th without an outlet for hiking. I am very interested if you will keep in touch as I know the civic center in Hatteras is available also for community meetings.

OBXWaMi
03-09-2012, 12:08
Squirrel Bait, I'll PM you.

As for Bob White--couldn't find him in member list. I'll check the phone book.

Tennessee Viking
03-09-2012, 14:01
If you are strictly talking about the AT, you can probably call the ATC office in Asheville and arrange to have speaker come and speak. There are also PATH members all over the state; though their section is in Virginia. The other NC AT trail clubs are Nantalhala Hiking Club, Smoky Mtn Hiking Club, Carolina Mtn Club, and TEHCC.

You can also look into contacting the FMST (which I am a member) @ www.ncmst.org.

OBXWaMi
03-09-2012, 18:32
I'm not limiting my hiking interest to the AT, but it is my ultimate goal. Personally, I'm also looking into the best time to hike the Neusiok Trail, here in NC. I'd rather avoid the worst of the mosquito population. It isn't called the unofficial state bird for nothing. ;)
I went to Jockey's Ridge State Park today and asked for literature on the FMST. Ranger/Site Manager is a hiker and has agreed to come speak on backpacking in general once I find out if there is an interest in this area.

OBXWaMi
03-15-2012, 08:13
Made the trip to Norfolk last night to attend the TATC Meeting. Nice people there. Thank you to Ned for introcucing himself and making us feel welcome. Great presentation on Water Bar Maintenance. They are a huge group and really organized!
They have some great trips planned, I wish the day trips weren't so far away (distance) and the longer trips didn't conflict with my work or Lions Club events. I'll see how it goes and maybe I'll visit again next month.

Still a bit far from OBX but there is an organization in Norfolk (i'm not a member) -- Tidewater Appalachian Trail Club
http://www.tidewateratc.com/
Hope that helped.

jaweidler
03-15-2012, 22:57
I live in Fayetteville. It is inland I guess around 4 hours. I have studied the Nuesiok. I suppose now would be a good time to hike it.. I think the biggest challenge I seen was water. It would have to be prepositioned in a cache. Water is the only reason I have not done it. There is another trail called the Uhwarrie trail here in NC. It is probably around 5-6 hours from you. It is a nice place to hike. I good starting point. It has well marked trails climbs are not to bad. Lots of water along the trail. There no bears there but recently there has been a bigfoot craze there! There is about 30 or so miles of trail there. This is a good time to hike there too. By mid June it really heats up there (here).

gunner76
03-16-2012, 18:57
Check out my site on the Neusiok Trail at www.neusioktrail.org (http://www.neusioktrail.org) and the forum for uptodate info on the trail. Best time to hike this trail is the fall/winter/early spring.

I am planning to hike the GA section of the AT the first part of June

Water is available at the Oyster Point Campground and the 3 shelters along the trail.

OBXWaMi
03-17-2012, 22:21
Thanks, I've been on that site quite a bit lately. I hope it was okay to print off the brochures about the trail. They were PDF so I figured it was. I'm hosting a meeting here in Manteo next week, and the following week, for anyone interested in finding a hiking partner or just wanting more information about hiking in general. All of my hiking buddies (my son and daughter) have bailed out on me and I don't want to hike alone. I'm determined to find someone to hike with me!

gunner76
03-18-2012, 16:54
I hope it was okay to print off the brochures about the trail.

That was probably the US Forest Service Brochure. As long its not being used for commercial purposes I don't think they would mind.

I was out camping on the trail last night. Nice and cool and just a little rain.

Let me know when you plan to hike the trail and I will try to join you. This is a very safe trail and the worst thing I know of happening on the trail is getting attacked by skeeters or deer flies.

OBXWaMi
03-21-2012, 14:33
I'm considering this weekend. I sent you a PM with a couple of questions. If you are still interested in joining me after reading it let me know.

-Michelle

I was out camping on the trail last night. Nice and cool and just a little rain.

Let me know when you plan to hike the trail and I will try to join you. This is a very safe trail and the worst thing I know of happening on the trail is getting attacked by skeeters or deer flies.