PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Vibram five fingers

grizzly bear 336
03-08-2012, 23:19
Has anyone done any hiking on the AT with Vibram fivefingers? If so, how did they work for you? I have a pair of the Komodo sports that I wear all the time, but haven't worn them on a hike yet.

dillard
03-08-2012, 23:38
I hiked the VA section last year in my TrekSport's and loved them. Light, agile, dry fast, the list goes on. I will be using the new Spyridon LS model on my thru this year.

The only downside is that since the toes are flexible there isn't much protection from stubbing them if your prone to doing so.

Theosus
03-09-2012, 07:40
I like my Skeletoes. I have done a lot of treadmill miles in them, with the toe socks on. I cant imagine them without the socks. No "real" hiking though. When it's a little warmer I plan to start small and work up. I wouldn't just grab them and head out to do 10 miles with those as your only option. You may find that by mile two you are ready to trash them.
Good hint about the stubbed toes. I tend to do that every so often. Damn big feet.

ScottP
03-09-2012, 09:38
vibram just came out with some 5 fingers that have tread for trails.

I've seen people struggle on steep, muddy sections with normal 5 fingers.

Also, the other minimalist footwear options out there just seem better suited to the AT and are actually lighter than the vibrams (merrrel trail glove, NB MT00). There's also some options from inov-8

canoehead
03-09-2012, 09:57
I wouldn't. They have a time and place. I just don't think they handle weight loads well on uneven ground, there's ardly an support and the stubbing & bruising isn't worth it. Your feet are your transportation out there and when you wreck'em you can't walk. Yes I've used them. They do make a good camp shoe & stream shoe.

Todd Tarbox
03-09-2012, 10:30
Try them out but have a back up. I hiked in mine all the time, till they wore out. Make sure you build up the strength in you feet before you go all out. I'm bringing my trail gloves with me when I start in April.

BJStuart
03-09-2012, 15:33
I've done shortish sections in mine, even with acorns & stuff it was good. If it's warm I use them, cold & wet I use boots.

paradoxb3
03-09-2012, 16:26
I've never worn them, so I can't comment on their use... What I can say is I saw several people starting out and using them in the south, but I dont think I saw anyone wearing them after the smokies. I suspect (in addition to whats already been said) because they're not as ideal for ALL weather (cold/wet) and trail conditions (think PA rocks), or that they wear out faster than more rigid sole shoes/boots. They're about the same price as boots, so replacing them multiple times on a thru-hike wouldn't be very appealing to me.

RedBeerd
03-09-2012, 16:45
I wore them not a thru hike, but over about 6 4000 footers in the Whites. I feel the disadvantages of easily stubbed toes, no rock plate, and no durability (after these 6 hikes I had to toss em) do not outweigh the pros such as ground feel etc etc. I have been hiking in the NB trail minimus and highly prefer them over the VFF for minimalist footwear on trail.

Shutterbug
03-09-2012, 23:39
Has anyone done any hiking on the AT with Vibram fivefingers? If so, how did they work for you? I have a pair of the Komodo sports that I wear all the time, but haven't worn them on a hike yet.

I have not been back to the AT since I started wearing VFFs, but I have hiked hundreds of miles of similar trails in mine. I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim in mine.

At first, I shared the concern that several others have expressed -- that I would need more support when carrying a loaded backpack. My experience has been just the opposite. I bought some of the most expensive high top boots from REI (I won't mention the brand name because others have had good experience with them.). I wore the boots to Clear Creek in the Grand Canyon but on the return hike my feet were killing me. I took the boots off and put on my VFFs. The foot pain disappeared. I returned the boots to REI and have been hiking in the VFFs since then. My own conclusion is that whether I am carrying a heavy pack or not, the VFFs are fine.

Some have mentioned that VFFs wear out too soon. That has not been my experience. I wear KSO Treks. The first pair lasted more than a year. I now have several pairs and rotate them. I have never had a sole wear out, but after many, many miles the leather uppers do wear out.

Another person mentioned the risk of stubbing a toe. When I first started wearing VFFs I stubbed toes fairly often. Over time, I have gotten better about avoiding that problem. I rarely stub a toe and have never had any lasting injury from that problem.

tgrady
03-10-2012, 00:38
I wore the KSO's on a day hike from the NOC to Stecoah Gap two years ago. I thought they were great for the most part but had two issues. The first being that small twigs occasionally got lodged between the toes and I had to stop to pick them out. Second, and more importantly, after cresting Cheoah Bald my feet took a pounding on the way down into Stecoah. Conditions were dry, so traction was not a major issue, but there were a few times that the slick bottoms came up a little short.

I hiked the section again last year in Cascadia 6's and it was much easier on my feet and a better experience.